U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2012, 06:19 PM

1,446 posts, read 3,918,474 times

Advertisements

Come on guys...Why are we not talking about the Cold War in here? Probably nothing is more important than that. The 1980's (especially the first part of the decade) was still a decade of competition between the US and Soviet Union. Tensions from 1977-1985 actually increased during the Carter and early Reagan years! Detente of the Nixon and Brezhenev eras was dying down. Things were so bad that in 1983, we almost went to nuclear war with the Soviet Union! Yes, you heard me correctly...the Soviets got false intelligence that we launched a nuclear missile against them. The details are still classified and only have been leaked out little by little. Most Americans still do not even know about this, especially since it was never made public, and certainly not at that time. Thankfully, some high ranking Soviet officials were more level-headed than others, and they won out and prevented a nuclear war. However, the details of this "event" is not what is important. The important thing to say is that before 1985, the Soviet Union and Eastern Europe were still seen (and probably still were) as being firmly under the Iron Curtain. The US was still supporting tyrant dictators in Latin America and Africa (Like the Congo's Mobutu Sese Seko and Liberia's Samuel K. Doe). We still were supporting anti-communist insurgents (despite their brutality) like the Contra Rebels in Nicaragua and the UNITA rebels in Angola. Hence, democracy and human rights did still take a back-seat to the Cold War. So the world was completely different back then, still, as the globe was still divided mostly into two camps. That may be a simplistic way of looking at the geo-political situation of the world at the time, but that is how policy-makers viewed it. Note: Japan was feared as surpassing us economically, but we knew they would never be a global military power like China is becoming. The world was still too bi-polar for other nations to be "world powers." Therefore, in the 1980's, the situation with international affairs was completely different than our currently less-polarized but more multi-polar world.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2012, 07:46 PM

5,735 posts, read 6,831,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnyandcloudydays View Post
I agree with some of your thoughts although it is a bit right of center.

The reason Nancy had a just say no to drug campaign was of a war on illegal drugs
Did you forget we had a major major cocaine problem?

The drugs did not retreat it just shifted .

I wrote that post a year ago, and yes after reading it I can see my politics shinning through. I guess my point was the fact that our nation seems to have declined greatly since the 80s. Moral values, economic health, social problems/issues all have gotten worse. Do I think the 80s were perfect, no of course not. There are always problems at any time. I have not forgotten the cocaine issue or all the issues with drugs. This was the reason for Nancy Reagans "say no" campaign. The difference is in how most Americans responded. Back then many responded to the "just say no" campaign, everyone wanted the drug dealers rounded up, and most people still lived a drug free life. Today people dont care about drugs, they just accept them. Even worse we have begun to legalize pot, unthinkable back then.
Also to address the previous posters comment about my support for Reagan, yes I liked him. Did I think he was perfect?? No. I acknowlege he spent too much money, he did wrong in the Iran-Contra incident but overall he was a good president. At least we got something out of all that spending of his, the collapse of Soviet Russia and the end of the cold war. One thing I really liked about him was how much he loved America, he made it clear in everything he said or did. Both Bushes and Clinton as well were openly patriotic, they just didnt express it as well as Reagan did. Our current leader does not do this, in fact he apologized for this nation all over the world. I dont get the feeling that Obama loves America the way Reagan did. In fact I dont think as many Americans love America the way they did back then. People are different today, more focused on money, things and self. Like I said in the old post, so much has been lost in the past 25-30 years.

Old 07-01-2012, 10:04 PM

304 posts, read 340,398 times
Having just read through all the posts, the things that stand out for me was as a mortgage loan originator in the 80's, we said we never thought we'd see single digit interest rates ever again. There was no widespread use of FICA scores, we actually made decisions based on reviewing three credit bureaus reports ourselves. While computers were just starting to come into their own for business use, very few used them let alone PC's in homes. Only the wealthy had "portable phones". There was no TSA or Homeland Security in the 80's. You could actually go to an airport and see folks off at their gate or great them upon arrival. Flying was much more fun then, now, I only fly when absolutely necessary because it is absolute torture.

I agree there seemed to be much more patriotsim and optimism then than there is today.

Old 07-02-2012, 03:12 AM

11,577 posts, read 12,922,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnyandcloudydays View Post
...The reason Nancy had a just say no to drug campaign was of a war on illegal drugs
Did you forget we had a major major cocaine problem?

The drugs did not retreat it just shifted .
You have an excellent point.

There were several reasons for this, but one of the reasons for the shift was due to how drug enforcement worked.

Marijuana has to be imported in large bulk quantities in order for dealers at all levels to be able to make a profit. At the time marijuana was selling for $35/ounce, cocaine was selling for $100 or more a gram.
(There are 27 or 28 grams in an ounce, forget which.)

As drug enforcement focused on getting a bigger "catch," they selectively hit the importers of marijuana hard....it was more difficult to conceal 500 pounds of marijuana than a few kilos of cocaine. Thus, in the mid-80's the price marijuana sky-rocketed, and as more dealers turned to cocaine, the price began going down.

And to get to the real street level, and not just the flush middle class crowd we saw the advent of what is known as "crack." A cheap, instant high and highly addictive - a drug dealer's dream. Selective drug enforcement looking for the headlines and a success story to peddle, helped shift the illegal drug market rapidly away from the almost harmless marijuana to the highly addictive crack.

If ever you need an example of the term "Phyrric victory," this the perfect one.

Old 07-02-2012, 12:39 PM

1,180 posts, read 1,373,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
I wrote that post a year ago, and yes after reading it I can see my politics shinning through. I guess my point was the fact that our nation seems to have declined greatly since the 80s. Moral values, economic health, social problems/issues all have gotten worse. Do I think the 80s were perfect, no of course not. There are always problems at any time. I have not forgotten the cocaine issue or all the issues with drugs. This was the reason for Nancy Reagans "say no" campaign. The difference is in how most Americans responded. Back then many responded to the "just say no" campaign, everyone wanted the drug dealers rounded up, and most people still lived a drug free life. Today people dont care about drugs, they just accept them. Even worse we have begun to legalize pot, unthinkable back then.
Also to address the previous posters comment about my support for Reagan, yes I liked him. Did I think he was perfect?? No. I acknowlege he spent too much money, he did wrong in the Iran-Contra incident but overall he was a good president. At least we got something out of all that spending of his, the collapse of Soviet Russia and the end of the cold war. One thing I really liked about him was how much he loved America, he made it clear in everything he said or did. Both Bushes and Clinton as well were openly patriotic, they just didnt express it as well as Reagan did. Our current leader does not do this, in fact he apologized for this nation all over the world. I dont get the feeling that Obama loves America the way Reagan did. In fact I dont think as many Americans love America the way they did back then. People are different today, more focused on money, things and self. Like I said in the old post, so much has been lost in the past 25-30 years.
I actually think Reagen is the reason people have become so greedy. He was, IMO, the first President ever to condone greed. The theory of trickle down economics is that, basiclly, greed is good because it eventually gets distributed down to the poor.

I find that Reagan's economic policies consider the US a utopia, where everyone shares. Of course, this isnt true and has jaded a great number of Americans. Why does it seem that more people today hate the US, maybe it is because of the many broken promises to our most vulnerable citizens.

Reagan was the the beginning of an unspoken war on the poor and middle class to the benefit of the wealthy. Just google the income tax rates from 1981 - 1989 for the upper 5% and you understand how this country began to fall apart.

Old 07-02-2012, 09:41 PM

5,735 posts, read 6,831,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatDJohns View Post
I actually think Reagen is the reason people have become so greedy. He was, IMO, the first President ever to condone greed. The theory of trickle down economics is that, basiclly, greed is good because it eventually gets distributed down to the poor.

I find that Reagan's economic policies consider the US a utopia, where everyone shares. Of course, this isnt true and has jaded a great number of Americans. Why does it seem that more people today hate the US, maybe it is because of the many broken promises to our most vulnerable citizens.

Reagan was the the beginning of an unspoken war on the poor and middle class to the benefit of the wealthy. Just google the income tax rates from 1981 - 1989 for the upper 5% and you understand how this country began to fall apart.

I know tax rates for wealthy people have dropped, but there is something out there that has done even more damage to our economy and the middle class. I am talking about free trade and the global economy. Both political parties are guilty of pushing these free trade agreements through. Daddy Bush and Clinton both really got the ball rolling on free trade. Ross Perot warned us about this nonesense, and he warned us about our national debt as well. He told us all 20 years ago what would happen to our economy, remember the charts???? I bet those charts are close to spot on. We are now the economic ruin he said we would be, and our middle class is shrinking rapidly as he said it would be. We are deeply indebted and near national economic collapse just as he said we would be. Our manufacturing base that supported the large middle class of 30 years ago is gone, replaced by the Mcjob. We can all now flip burgers or work at wal-mart but forget about getting a real job that you will stay with for life. That is now a thing of the past thanks to free trade. A guy in China now does what your father and grandfather used to do in the days of the middle class. Free trade and offshoring of jobs has much more to do with why this nation is in the economic disaster it is in than does tax rates on the wealthy IMO.

Old 07-02-2012, 10:10 PM

20,089 posts, read 34,270,639 times
The big difference between the 1980s and today is the huge cost of living differential gulf that has opened up between different cities and regions of the country compared to others. Some areas of the country that have seen little in the way of new job growth, wage gains, or investments in infrastructure have seen the cost of living only increase a little. Other areas of the country have seen an enormous increasing in housing costs, rent costs, energy costs, etc due to a big influx of new job growth, in-migration, and more outside investment moving in.
Costs for young people have risen susbstantially as student loan burdens have exponentially increased along with college tuition costs. Wages haven't kept up at all with the rising costs for many and that has posed big issues. Many people today are getting married or starting a family at much later ages compared to the 1980s or not at all because they just can't afford it.

Old 07-03-2012, 07:33 AM

3,528 posts, read 4,954,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
I know tax rates for wealthy people have dropped, but there is something out there that has done even more damage to our economy and the middle class. I am talking about free trade and the global economy. Both political parties are guilty of pushing these free trade agreements through. Daddy Bush and Clinton both really got the ball rolling on free trade. Ross Perot warned us about this nonesense, and he warned us about our national debt as well. He told us all 20 years ago what would happen to our economy, remember the charts???? I bet those charts are close to spot on. We are now the economic ruin he said we would be, and our middle class is shrinking rapidly as he said it would be. We are deeply indebted and near national economic collapse just as he said we would be. Our manufacturing base that supported the large middle class of 30 years ago is gone, replaced by the Mcjob. We can all now flip burgers or work at wal-mart but forget about getting a real job that you will stay with for life. That is now a thing of the past thanks to free trade. A guy in China now does what your father and grandfather used to do in the days of the middle class. Free trade and offshoring of jobs has much more to do with why this nation is in the economic disaster it is in than does tax rates on the wealthy IMO.
Yeah I remember those charts!
It would be interesting to see how accurte he was on this measure.

No doubt about this both clinton and bush were pushing the trade agreements
makes you wonder what agenda was going on behind closed doors.

one thing is for sure it sure the heck worked for china...

Old 07-03-2012, 07:33 AM

11,838 posts, read 14,225,117 times
The 1980's were a great time. That was in my youth so this may color my views a bit. Except for some rough times in '82 and '83, the economy was great. Gas was 90 cents a gallon. Music was better (I know, that is controversial). Yes you listened to it on tape, but it was revolutionary in that the Walkman allowed you to hear, for the first time, prerecorded music while walking or running. Video (VHS) for the first time allowed you to watch whatever movie you wanted when you wanted. Cell phones were for the rich and busy. Exercise trends, with aerobic dance classes, hit the scene. Movies were about of the same quality as today; lots of teen garbage and a few good dramas. Cable and MTV were brand new for most people. We were mostly at peace. Lots of businesses you don't see today: Video arcades, music stores, video stores every block. Some major international differences: The Soviet Union was the other superpower, Japan and not China was our major economic rival, and there was no Euro. No discussion of the 80's is complete without a mention of President Reagan, the hold he had on the public. Not everyone liked him, but he got their attention.

Last edited by pvande55; 07-03-2012 at 08:07 AM.. Reason: Add notes

Old 07-03-2012, 11:36 AM

3,528 posts, read 4,954,987 times
The Video Arcade was a hang out for myself... My parents would take turns with other parents and drop us off at the good Arcade.

The video stores at first were all small mom and pop shops before blockbuster and the others.
I remember to they had a different section for the BETA Max cassettes to.

Hooters was first coming on the scene and now its barely struggling to survive from what I remember.

The walkman was too expensive for me so I had some knock off brand but still thought I was cool listening to the music.

Reagan certainly defines the 1980's.

Who can forget about the home entertainment systems like Pong and the original Atari Systems.

All very very early and pre dawn to the computer age.

A time when we used to flip thru magazines and hold paper books in our hands vs. our smart phones.
Heck a Bag Phone was the thing to have along with a cell phone that was about as big as a tennis racket...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or