Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2012, 03:26 PM

1,017 posts, read 2,488,028 times

Advertisements

Technology - way different
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2012, 03:54 PM

12,999 posts, read 18,815,662 times
Today's teenagers would be lost in the 1980's. Literally-there was no GPS. They could not text or email their friends, chances are there would be no computer. Music? You mean you had to buy a tape? Let's watch a movie. What is that big thing you put into the player? Cameras that used film, you mean I can't shoot a picture and instantly send it?

Old 07-03-2012, 07:36 PM

9,439 posts, read 10,722,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvande55 View Post
Today's teenagers would be lost in the 1980's. Literally-there was no GPS. They could not text or email their friends, chances are there would be no computer. Music? You mean you had to buy a tape? Let's watch a movie. What is that big thing you put into the player? Cameras that used film, you mean I can't shoot a picture and instantly send it?

Most of them would not survive lol. Todays kids are so technolically focused that they would not know what to do without the internet, cell phones etc. The early computers of the 1980s were nothing more than big calculators, kids today would not even consider them computers. Tapes and records?? they wouldnt get that either. Many of them are so used to communicating with tech gagets that they would not know how to have the kind of real interaction that people used to have. If you took an average 20 year old and put him in a time machine, sent him back to 1982 that would likely be the end of that young persons sanity. They would end up in the wacko ward.

Old 07-04-2012, 12:08 AM

362 posts, read 586,156 times
im 57

the 80s rent was cheaper 200 for a studio apt

had a shortwave radio ,TV ,no telephone , cassette player ,record player,no land line,less crime

real music- real people

you cant imagine how life was better

Old 07-04-2012, 02:01 AM

3,236 posts, read 3,922,988 times
Wow lots of the old people here are painting the 80's to be some paradise, very inaccurate rose colored glasses

- Kids were just as hooked on video games, the 80's is when kids stopped playing outside and either had a Nintendo or would head to the arcade with a sack of quarters.

- Public schools were every bit the zoos they are now if not worse. Now they have zero-tolerance laws for stuff like bringing in a gun, back then you probably wouldn't even get expelled.

- People were more patriotic and religious. Huge hit movies like Rocky IV were laughably corny and pro America. People went to church more, pretty much everyone I knew back then was Christian with a good number of Jews thrown in. There wasn't nearly as much anti-Muslim sentiment as few people were too aware of Islam since more were focused on the Soviets.

- There was a lot less tolerance of gays. Having a TV show with a gay star was unthinkable back then and there were practically no openly gay entertainers, even George Michael and Richard Simmons were in the closet.

- There weren't that many Latin people. When I was a kid I and my family were the only Latinos I knew, there were just whites, blacks and a few Asians. By the 90s my town near DC became majority Latino and there's really few places in America that don't have Latinos like there was back then.

- Inner cities were horrible crime filled places and no rich people lived in downtown areas except in NYC and San Fran. Young people aspired to live in a nice suburban house in a quiet neighborhood compared to now where a lot of young people live in the city. Only academics had heard of the concept of "gentrification".

- Music was way worse than now, especially by the late 80's when the biggest acts were New Kids on the Block, Bon Jovi, Richard Marx, Michael Jackson, Tiffany and Milli Vanilli. All the good bands from the 60's and 70's had turned to godawful soft rock like Starship, Eric Clapton, Chicago and Bruce Springsteen. Now there's a ton of good indie music and if you hate the radio, you can go on Youtube, Pandora or Spotify and listen to good stuff. Back then you'd have to shill out $ to get anything decent at Tower Records and it was hit and miss.

- Politicians were just as corrupt but more moderate. There were a lot of conservative Democrats and liberal Republicans. Racist right wing nutjobs like Jesse Helms were the exception whereas now every Republican is like that.

Old 07-04-2012, 08:10 AM

12,999 posts, read 18,815,662 times
The best song I've heard on the subject.

Bowling For Soup - 1985 - YouTube
I doubt times will ever be that good again, I hope I'm wrong.

Old 07-04-2012, 04:49 PM

362 posts, read 586,156 times
john lennon was killed in 1980 and things got worse from there

Old 07-04-2012, 06:52 PM

3,522 posts, read 6,074,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by E Roy Slade View Post
im 57

the 80s rent was cheaper 200 for a studio apt

had a shortwave radio ,TV ,no telephone , cassette player ,record player,no land line,less crime

real music- real people

you cant imagine how life was better
Your post reminded me of when people used to have a cb in their car.

That was the social networking of the 80's , no twitter , city data forum, facebook.

In addition to this try telling a kid these days about fine tuning an antennae so you could have a clear reception on the tv.

Another thing I really miss is the album art that came along with the records.
and how they used to print the words to the songs on the jacket.

Speaking of music the 80's also had music stores.
I dont even really honestly know if they even have music stores anymore.

Used to look forward every month to getting the latest MAD magazine or cracked magazine.
another example of not even knowing if these old relics are still around.

We used to also get our news at the END of the day and on the evening news as there really was not a 24-7 news cycle that you have today and for the most part you had to read the paper to catch up on a story sometimes.

Guess someday in the future some of todays kids will be communicating about how it was in the decade of the 10's!

Old 07-04-2012, 11:53 PM

1,328 posts, read 3,167,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnyandcloudydays View Post
Your post reminded me of when people used to have a cb in their car.

That was the social networking of the 80's , no twitter , city data forum, facebook.

In addition to this try telling a kid these days about fine tuning an antennae so you could have a clear reception on the tv.

Another thing I really miss is the album art that came along with the records.
and how they used to print the words to the songs on the jacket.

Speaking of music the 80's also had music stores.
I dont even really honestly know if they even have music stores anymore.

Used to look forward every month to getting the latest MAD magazine or cracked magazine.
another example of not even knowing if these old relics are still around.

We used to also get our news at the END of the day and on the evening news as there really was not a 24-7 news cycle that you have today and for the most part you had to read the paper to catch up on a story sometimes.

Guess someday in the future some of todays kids will be communicating about how it was in the decade of the 10's!

Here in Portland, Oregon, they still have music stores.

Old 07-05-2012, 08:58 AM

13,134 posts, read 40,525,754 times
Who remembers on the radio on sunday mornings during the 80's the two program shows known as ''Flashback'' and ''Casy Kasem's Top 40'' .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History