Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2011, 08:26 AM

14,993 posts, read 23,885,876 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
When I was 12 I would shoot my .22 and those bullets would mushroom...who knew I had some sort of ninja assassin sneaking into my room at night to inject mercury into my ammunition. Those poor cans and corn cobs never stood a chance.

It's the bizarre, obviously wrong assertions like mercury bullets that adds a lot of white noise to discussions about events like this. At some point it's difficult to separate the BS from the truth.
Yeah, there is some much incorrect info on the Kennedy assasination that gets repeated over and over on the internet that it's not even worth having a discussion about it anymore. When you show them visible proof as in the Zupruder film (showing under analysis shot coming from behind and above) the answer is finally - "umm, well, then, the film is a fake and has been altered".
Mercury injected bullets....what BS.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2011, 08:27 AM

1,788 posts, read 2,481,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
When I was 12 I would shoot my .22 and those bullets would mushroom...who knew I had some sort of ninja assassin sneaking into my room at night to inject mercury into my ammunition. Those poor cans and corn cobs never stood a chance.

It's the bizarre, obviously wrong assertions like mercury bullets that adds a lot of white noise to discussions about events like this. At some point it's difficult to separate the BS from the truth.
You look silly when you tread on subjects that you know almost nothing about.

Old 02-28-2011, 09:44 AM

78,385 posts, read 60,566,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnHAdams View Post
You look silly when you tread on subjects that you know almost nothing about.
476,000 hits for a google search on "bullet mushrooms".

bullet mushrooms - Google Search

The concept goes back to the 19th century and encompasses both hollowpoints as well as full metal jacket etc. "normal" bullets that also mushroom.

The Brits were using them in India back before the turn of the last century.

Old 02-28-2011, 12:52 PM

45,373 posts, read 60,546,019 times
Typical mushrooming for a hunting round.

Old 02-28-2011, 01:58 PM

5,187 posts, read 6,940,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
It's been nearly 50 years. Why should anyone care any more?
Because the assassin is still on the loose,basically it is that most people are curious by nature as it still remains a mystery as to how many were part of the assasination.

Old 02-28-2011, 05:17 PM

1,658 posts, read 2,694,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nighteyes View Post
Were you trained as a Marine Corps rifleman, or as an Army rifleman for that matter? It does make a difference to the discussion.
C'mon, the implication that one has to have been trained with a rifle in the military in order to contribute to this discussion is ridiculous. I was in the Corps at about the same time LHO was (1959), and I qualified as expert by putting 10 shots in the black at 500 yards after screwing up in rapid fire. Big deal, I still possess no special knowledge with which I may enlighten others.

I merely have an opinion like everyone else, and that is I believe that LHO was only an average shooter who was firing a rifle with a damaged scope and, considering the pressure he was under, could have missed all of his shots, not just the initial one. Or, he could have been very lucky. I don't know.

Old 03-01-2011, 01:43 PM

3,490 posts, read 6,509,504 times
Quote:
Were you trained as a Marine Corps rifleman, or as an Army rifleman for that matter? It does make a difference to the discussion.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustPassinThru View Post
C'mon, the implication that one has to have been trained with a rifle in the military in order to contribute to this discussion is ridiculous.
You have basically stated your credentials, in that you understand in detail the issues involved in rifle marksmanship against one or more human targets. This means, to me at least, that your comments are based on a fundamental understanding of what this truly means. Even now, more than 40 years later, I still have nightmares -- the details of which I'll not bore you.

I meant no disrepect in my earlier post, nor do I mean any now. Since you have actually pulled the trigger on a human being in your sights, and witnessed/lived with the consequences, you know exactly what I'm referring to. May God bless you and grant you peace.

Regards,

-- Nighteyes

Last edited by Nighteyes; 03-01-2011 at 01:58 PM..

Old 03-02-2011, 10:39 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,597,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by progressive25 View Post
A declassified document from the National Security Agency obtained by Last Reporter (see below) states that Kennedy assassin Lee Harvey Oswald's best friend in Russia said he could not have acted alone -- and that he was a terrible shot.
You didn't need a friend of Oswald's from Russia to find that out. It's always been a matter of record; he took his marksman's test several times, being that poor a shot. The idea that a lousy shot would have been able to hit a moving target (even a target moving much slower than the Presidential limousine was supposed to do) is kind of funny.

Oswald himself, when first apprehended, commented, "I'm just a patsy." He knew he hadn't committed any assassinations--but how much more than that he knew, Jack Ruby made sure we'd never find out.

Old 03-02-2011, 04:07 PM

3,490 posts, read 6,509,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
You didn't need a friend of Oswald's from Russia to find that out. It's always been a matter of record; he took his marksman's test several times, being that poor a shot. The idea that a lousy shot would have been able to hit a moving target (even a target moving much slower than the Presidential limousine was supposed to do) is kind of funny.

Oswald himself, when first apprehended, commented, "I'm just a patsy." He knew he hadn't committed any assassinations--but how much more than that he knew, Jack Ruby made sure we'd never find out.
With respect, how do you square your posted conclusion with the sworn testimony of U.S. Marine Corps marksmanship experts before the Warren Commission:

Quote:
From the Warren Commission report:

Major Anderson concluded:
I would say that as compared to other Marines receiving the same type of training, that Oswald was a good shot, somewhat better than or equal to--better than the average let us say. As compared to a civilian who had not received this intensive training, he would be considered as a good to excellent shot.
When Sergeant Zahm was asked whether Oswald's Marine Corps training would have made it easier to operate a rifle with a four-power scope, he replied:
Based on that training, his basic knowledge in sight manipulation and trigger squeeze and what not, I would say that he would be capable of sighting that rifle in well, firing it, with 10 rounds.
After reviewing Oswald's marksmanship scores, Sergeant Zahm concluded:
I would say in the Marine Corps he is a good shot, slightly above average, and as compared to the average male of his age throughout the civilian, throughout the United States, that he is an excellent shot.
By the way, Major Eugene D. Anderson was the XO of the Marksmanship Branch of the United States Marine Corps. Master Sergeant Zahm was the senior NCO of the Marksmanship Training Unit in the Weapons Training Battalion of the Marine Corps School at Quantico, Va.

Old 03-07-2011, 05:32 PM

2,991 posts, read 4,288,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post

8. That the Warren Commission which was made of reputable people on all sides of the political spectrum including Gerald Ford and Earl Warren was part of a conspiracy to keep people from learning the "truth about Kennedy's assassination".
What do you think about the following? Gerald Ford was, in my opinion, a truly good man and a great American (by the way, I'm a Democrat). If he covered-up anything, it could only have been for the gravest aspects of national security. So, suppose that the Cubans had been behind the killing. If the US acknowledged Cuban participation, there would have been public outcry for retribution. Retribution against Cuba could have re-opened the settlement of the 1962 Missile Crisis, perhaps leading to nuclear war with the Soviet Union. Grave event indeed. Just a thought . . .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History