U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2011, 07:29 PM

829 posts, read 2,505,038 times

Advertisements

I just recently travelled to gettysburg over the weekend, and they say that it is one of the most haunted cities in the world. Has anyone ever had any weird experiences there that could of been paranormal?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2011, 07:34 PM

36,959 posts, read 17,431,639 times
Wrong board...you want some place more spirit oriented. That the History Channel would nowadays run such a program, doesn't mean that we must also sink to that level.

Old 02-24-2011, 02:07 AM

10,149 posts, read 18,127,033 times
There are no such things as ghosts though some people evidently have quite a little racket going pandering to people's belief in them.

And I have spent time on various battlefields at night including Gettysburg; I've been chased by dogs but never by ghosts.

Old 02-24-2011, 11:15 PM

Thanks for the replies. Just curious...tis all....

Old 02-25-2011, 07:54 AM

11,564 posts, read 17,496,164 times
I have heard that before - but the battle of Gettysburg itself occured in the nearby fields and farmlands, not the little town itself. Nor were the town building particularly used as hospital sites that I know of. Why would a ghost, a dead soldier, frequent a location he had never been before and has no connection to?

Old 02-25-2011, 12:28 PM

Exactly, and i agree...

I meant the battlefields...not necessarily the town.

Old 03-04-2011, 11:26 AM

8,593 posts, read 10,295,624 times
I have been haunted by the spirit of dead tourist traps.

Old 03-05-2011, 03:56 PM

3,281 posts, read 4,602,411 times
Years ago, I saw a segment on the TV documentary show "Unexplained Mysteries."

The narrator was saying that a modern-day person (possibly tourist?) reported that he was riding an elevator in a building in Gettysburg. It went to the basement level, the door opened, and the person swore that he saw before him a crowd of ghostly injured soldier figures, and heard them crying out in pain and agony from their wounds. One of them turned and looked at the rider with a pained expression. Frightened, he quickly closed the door and rode back upstairs.

Old 03-05-2011, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
I have heard that before - but the battle of Gettysburg itself occured in the nearby fields and farmlands, not the little town itself. Nor were the town building particularly used as hospital sites that I know of. Why would a ghost, a dead soldier, frequent a location he had never been before and has no connection to?
Speculating on the reasoning behind the behavior of a mythological entity would seem a fruitless exercise, would it not? Such a debate would belong in the class which includes.."Could Mighty Mouse Beat Up Batman?" or "How tall is Satan?"

Before the rules of ghost behavior may become meaningful, first we would need to establish that such creatures are possible.

Old 03-05-2011, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowlane3 View Post
Years ago, I saw a segment on the TV documentary show "Unexplained Mysteries."

The narrator was saying that a modern-day person (possibly tourist?) reported that he was riding an elevator in a building in Gettysburg. It went to the basement level, the door opened, and the person swore that he saw before him a crowd of ghostly injured soldier figures, and heard them crying out in pain and agony from their wounds. One of them turned and looked at the rider with a pained expression. Frightened, he quickly closed the door and rode back upstairs.
We are already aware that the human mind is capable of generating hallucinations. Some due to physical injury, some a consequence of emotional trauma or pathology, some to escape reality, and some when achieving a state of religious fervor. We all do it whenever we dream.

So, either some form of that was at work when this tourist saw whatever he or she saw, or all our natural laws are wrong and the dead get reanimated.

I'm gonna go with the first theory.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History