Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2011, 06:41 PM

2,745 posts, read 6,461,531 times

Advertisements

If we add Detroit, Chicago and LA should be added as well.
Washington, DC is kind of important too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2011, 10:55 PM

829 posts, read 2,954,549 times
Richmond VA for the north vs south war

Old 03-13-2011, 08:20 AM

200 posts, read 508,814 times
Sited on the Bosporus Strait and for its strategic location alone between Europe and Asia, Constantinople(Istanbul) must have been one of the most important cities of the world. It was also the capital of the Eastern Roman Empire.

Another is Samarkand in present-day Uzbekistan. It was situated on the Silk Road and has been called the "Gem of the east." Samarkand was Tamerlane's imperial capital and the city was enriched from the spoils of Tamerlane's conquests.

My personal favorite small city is York, England, where there must be more history per square foot than almost any other small city that could be named. It was alternately controlled by the early Britons, Romans, Saxons, and Vikings. It's literally a treasure trove of history. The Jorvik Viking Centre has one of the best reconstructions of Viking life to be seen anywhere.

Kiev, Ukraine, was an important trading center that attracted even the far-off Vikings and was sacked at least once by the Mongols.

Alexandria, Egypt, was a center of leaning and some of the world's greatest scholars studied and worked there, including Archimedes.

Old 03-13-2011, 07:28 PM

1,448 posts, read 4,790,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diogenes2 View Post
Sited on the Bosporus Strait and for its strategic location alone between Europe and Asia, Constantinople(Istanbul) must have been one of the most important cities of the world. It was also the capital of the Eastern Roman Empire.
That would certainly be one of my top votes, if not the number one. Remember, the Byzantine Empire (with Constantinople as the capital) almost single-handedly acted as a buffer between Europe and Islam for centuries. So much so that for any Islamic conquest on the continent to occur, they had to go all the way through Africa and up through Spain. Imagine what would have happened had they had a straight line into Europe. History would look a lot defferent today.

Old 03-14-2011, 06:49 AM

355 posts, read 911,393 times
I know history tends to always be looked at from a european/asian point of view,

What were some important cities in both Americas and Africa?

Just curious as honestly I'm not familar with many

Old 03-14-2011, 07:38 AM

1,219 posts, read 1,754,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krsheely View Post
I know history tends to always be looked at from a european/asian point of view,

What were some important cities in both Americas and Africa?

Just curious as honestly I'm not familar with many
Timbuktu was one of the most important cities in the world during the Middle Ages. I certainly gave it strong consideration and Im sure anybody including the city would not get many arguements.

Old 03-14-2011, 08:12 AM

2,745 posts, read 6,461,531 times
Tangier was probably not hugely important but is worth mentioning.

Old 03-19-2011, 09:37 AM

3,488 posts, read 6,507,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatDJohns View Post
I would argue that Rome has been more influential for Christians than Jerusalem has ever been.
I agree, and you know what? Considering the Roman Empire and its influence throughout Europe, the Middle East and even some parts of western Asia, I'm thinking that perhaps Rome is the most influential city in all of world history.

The Roman Empire ranks seventeenth in overall size. However, the capital cities of the larger empires no longer figure nearly as prominently in world affairs as does Rome.

Which modern day countries did the Roman empire comprise of

Old 03-19-2011, 10:29 AM

513 posts, read 1,581,016 times
Luoyang has been for 2000 years the official eastern capital of Chinese empire, its political and economic importance were comparable to Xi'an, which was the official western capital at that time. While the government and imperial palace usually resided in Xi'an. There were also complete governmental facilities and separate imperial palace clusters in Luoyang to accomodate frequent trips eastward by the imperial government. Luoyang's importance shouldn't be overlooked.

Old 03-19-2011, 10:44 AM

1,788 posts, read 2,480,622 times
I would vote for a certain number of cities during a certain period of time. One could also ask for what kind of influence whether it be economic or military or architectural or sociological or ...............?

Given the task at hand, I'll proffer a few favorites:

Rome

London

Jerusalem

Washington D.C.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History