Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2011, 11:39 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,968,624 times

Advertisements

One might also have considered Jacksonville, Florida. Florida was just beginning to open up, and it would have been a boost for that "new frontier" to establish a capital there, which would have, at the same time, been pretty centrally located.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2011, 11:53 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,751,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie117 View Post
I wonder if any cities in Texas would have performed well as the Confederate capital. I believe Houston was captured early and was later recaptured by rebel forces, but that sequence of events may have been changed had it been capital. At the time of Lee's surrender there was still an army numbering approximately 50,000 in Texas.
According to Trudeau the Confederate Trans-Mississippi department (which included all the rebellious states west of the River, not just Texas) had 36,000 men under arms in March of 1865 with many in a state of poor moral and moral getting worse. Basically Kirby Smith had to give up because his local commanders were cutting their own surrenders and his soldiers just started going home and there wasn't a damned thing he could do about it. As he said himself "Soldiers, I am left a commander without an army---a general without troops."

Old 03-21-2011, 08:02 AM

354 posts, read 855,211 times
I think that New Orleans would have been chosen if the South chose an agressive western expansion policy. Also remember that political power in the CSA would probably be a lot less centralized then in the USA. This would make it's capital a lot less relavent.

Old 03-21-2011, 12:04 PM

3,490 posts, read 6,509,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
I'm quite familiar with the geography of those cities, having lived in two of them.

I referred to them as "coastal" locations, as opposed to "inland" (such as Chattanooga, Montgomery, Atlanta) for the reason that they afforded easy access to the sea via reliable navigable waterways.
Here's what you said (bold italics added for emphasis):

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
In 1850, there were only six cities in the Confederacy that had populations over 10,000. All but Richmond were on the coast: New Orleans, Mobile, Savannah, Charleston, Norfolk.

Old 03-21-2011, 12:11 PM

3,135 posts, read 3,780,625 times
Charleston, SC....

Old 03-21-2011, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingdomcome1 View Post
Charleston, SC....
While the various Federal attempts at taking Charleston failed one must keep in mind they were side operations. I think had the Federals put the kind of resources into taking Charleston they put into taking Richmond, Vicksburg or Chattanooga the city would've fallen pretty quickly.

The city is a trap if defended against a well executed combined naval and army assault as was shown during our rebellion against Britain. I can envision Grant (with an army of the quality of the Army of the Tennessee) and Porter taking the place without inordinate difficulty.

Of course were Charleston the capitol that would also mean the Rebels might place their most reliable resources there as well.....so who knows. But in any event I think Richmond was a far more defensible place than Charleston.

Old 03-21-2011, 01:09 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,301,334 times
NOLA would be protected enough from attack and was the largest. Would D.C. be in this nation?

Old 03-21-2011, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
NOLA would be protected enough from attack and was the largest.
New Orleans was quite vulnerable as was shown by it's early fall. Not a particularly easy place to defend against a naval power. And had the British been ably led it would've fallen in 1815.

The capture of Mobile Bay and the subsequent fall of Mobile itself show what could happen to a well defended coastal city when the Federals decided to put a proper push on it.

Old 03-21-2011, 02:21 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,968,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nighteyes View Post
Here's what you said (bold italics added for emphasis):
I try to keep my posts down to 5,000 words or less, and everybody else understood how "on the coast" contrasted with "inland". I felt no need to insult everyone else's intelligence, by going on with a paragraph or so defining something as elementary as how "on the coast" contrasts with "inland", in the general context of the economic development and maritime transport.

You can go to your deathbed railing about this, I don't care.

Old 03-21-2011, 03:52 PM

3,135 posts, read 3,780,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
While the various Federal attempts at taking Charleston failed one must keep in mind they were side operations. I think had the Federals put the kind of resources into taking Charleston they put into taking Richmond, Vicksburg or Chattanooga the city would've fallen pretty quickly.

The city is a trap if defended against a well executed combined naval and army assault as was shown during our rebellion against Britain. I can envision Grant (with an army of the quality of the Army of the Tennessee) and Porter taking the place without inordinate difficulty.

Of course were Charleston the capitol that would also mean the Rebels might place their most reliable resources there as well.....so who knows. But in any event I think Richmond was a far more defensible place than Charleston.

I'll stick with Charleston
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History