U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2011, 06:46 AM

120 posts, read 139,843 times

Advertisements

I'm planning to visit Gettysburg on July (the 7th of July I think) and I wonder if it's a good idea to explore the site by bicycle. I imagine it could be a good option for my wife who is absolutely not a buff about the civil war (and about history in a large sense) but I don't know if it's the best way to cover the entire battle field.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2011, 07:30 AM

26,847 posts, read 57,851,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Olivieroma View Post
I'm planning to visit Gettysburg on July...
You are choosing the HOTTEST time of the year to be in the middle of farm country.

Quote:
...my wife who is absolutely not a buff about the civil war (and about history in a large sense)...
I'll suggest that you split up some.
Get her settled in somewhere comfortable with a pool and then YOU go over to the battlefield exhibits alone
and for that (being by yourself) any method will be fine

Old 06-07-2011, 12:26 PM

36,954 posts, read 17,431,639 times
On my final day there I rented a horse and covered a great deal more of the battlefield than I otherwise could have done by foot, bike or car.

Old 06-07-2011, 01:53 PM

1,020 posts, read 1,420,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
On my final day there I rented a horse and covered a great deal more of the battlefield than I otherwise could have done by foot, bike or car.
That actually sounds like a great idea; I wasn't aware you could do that. Then again, I haven't been to Gettysburg since 1982.
Depending upon your allegiance, you could pretend you are Meade, or Lee, Hancock, Longstreet, Pickett, Buford, etc.

Old 06-07-2011, 02:31 PM

36,954 posts, read 17,431,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hornet67 View Post
That actually sounds like a great idea; I wasn't aware you could do that. Then again, I haven't been to Gettysburg since 1982.
Depending upon your allegiance, you could pretend you are Meade, or Lee, Hancock, Longstreet, Pickett, Buford, etc.
I was last there in 1984, so I don't know if you can still do it. I don't know that I was allowed to do it then. I found a stable at the edge of the battlefield and just rode my rental into the park. No one yelled at me, so I figured it was okay.

Old 06-07-2011, 05:53 PM

16,227 posts, read 21,981,509 times
You should go the 1st of july there having a civil war reenactment then,that should be exciting!

Old 06-08-2011, 01:05 AM

22,583 posts, read 11,766,291 times
Most of us do it by (air-conditioned) car. Rather than touring willy-nilly, plan an itinerary based on a chronological format ... end with a visit to the cemetery where Lincoln gave his speech.

Old 06-08-2011, 02:54 AM

120 posts, read 139,843 times
I'm very exiting about this visit, I wouldíve loved to be there between the 1st and the 3rd but it's not possible, I'll stay near Cape Charles, ready to visit the area battlefields (I'll also need advice about it ).

I like the idea of a chronological format. I could start from the confederates lines to the unions, thus I wonít have to choose between Meade and Lee. This battle opposed great generals and two fabulous armies.

I hope it wonít be too hot as I wonít let my wife take a good time in a pool when she could share my enthusiasm. Iím a little selfish here but I want her to be with me.

Then thereís still the question! Bicycle or not bicycle. Horse is not an option, Iím a townsman. I think the horse would defeat me on the first try.

Old 06-08-2011, 05:27 AM

20,344 posts, read 20,421,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Olivieroma View Post
I'm planning to visit Gettysburg on July (the 7th of July I think) and I wonder if it's a good idea to explore the site by bicycle. I imagine it could be a good option for my wife who is absolutely not a buff about the civil war (and about history in a large sense) but I don't know if it's the best way to cover the entire battle field.
I have planned out visits to Gettysburg at least three times over the years but have yet to make it. Still hoping for a chance later this year and while I considered the re-enactments in early July, the amount of crowds I anticipated was a bit off-putting.

Great thought on the bike tour and a quick google revealed a map tour of the battlefield/park that you can move along key way-points. Although not much info on the historical points are here I'm sure there won't be a shortage of available info present. If you search the Trip Advisor Gettysburg forums, you will find that there are NPS licensed bike touring companies.

Bicycle Path - Gettysburg #3 (Best) at Bikely.com

Gettysbike Tours

You might consider renting one of the many available touring CD's available but I suspect they might be orientated to an automobile route. We rented one at Little Bighorn and it was well presented and you would simply pause the CD as you got out at the various stopping points.

NPS info on all available tours here... Gettysburg National Military Park - Things To Do (U.S. National Park Service)

I've heard that the absolute best way to tour the battlefield is to hire an individual guide by the hour and I would consider doing that at some point.

Please report back on your trip as I'm interested on what you find out with the bikes.

Old 06-08-2011, 12:37 PM

11,564 posts, read 17,496,164 times
It's really designed to be covered by car. I say that because they do not have specific bicycle and limited foot paths - it's an auto route. And they have convenient parking areas and turn off points for auto's. That being said - any other option is possible - covering it by horse would be awesome but going "off trail" is probably discouraged, and you could still bike it as well (again, staying on designated trails or the road).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History