Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2015, 05:40 PM

4,794 posts, read 12,370,711 times

Advertisements

We have been seeing in the news lately another riot taking place, this time in Baltimore,MD. While television and social media can enhance broader viewership of these kinds of events isn't all this part of a fairly common occurrence in American history?
From the Whiskey Rebellion in the 1790s to the draft riots in the Civil War to labor riots in the late 1800s and early 1900s to, of course, the race and anti-Vietnam war riots this all seems to be as American as apple pie.
I guess my point is, while the media understandably covers this wall to wall, it isn't anything new and we'll see more of this in one form or another for the rest of our lives. These riots are nothing compared to what has come in the bloody past. Tell me if I am wrong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2015, 05:56 PM

7,541 posts, read 10,254,431 times
There have been riots in the past, and they'll be riots in the future.

I don't think they are that common, only a handful of cities have suffered through any sizable riots since the wave of riots during the 1960's especially after the murder of MLK.

Old 04-29-2015, 06:05 PM

3,007 posts, read 6,284,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kanhawk View Post
We have been seeing in the news lately another riot taking place, this time in Baltimore,MD. While television and social media can enhance broader viewership of these kinds of events isn't all this part of a fairly common occurrence in American history?
From the Whiskey Rebellion in the 1790s to the draft riots in the Civil War to labor riots in the late 1800s and early 1900s to, of course, the race and anti-Vietnam war riots this all seems to be as American as apple pie.
I guess my point is, while the media understandably covers this wall to wall, it isn't anything new and we'll see more of this in one form or another for the rest of our lives. These riots are nothing compared to what has come in the bloody past. Tell me if I am wrong.
Yes. You are not wrong.

Old 04-29-2015, 06:10 PM

7,578 posts, read 5,321,294 times
We refer to riots as lite revolutions that way we can avoid military dictatorships, coups, and out and out insurrections (plus they are great for sports fans).

Seriously, I doubt that riots are an exclusively American past time, although I have a great admiration for South Korean riots, they are so wonderfully choreographed.

Anyway, check out this fascinating list of riots compiled by our good friends at Wikipedia.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...ry_and_earlier

Old 04-29-2015, 06:57 PM

41,948 posts, read 75,144,160 times
How do you think the United States won independence from Great Britain?

Old 04-29-2015, 09:18 PM

2,851 posts, read 2,299,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
How do you think the United States won independence from Great Britain?
By skillful rabble rousing. So, yes but the rebel colonists also made a pact with the enemy. It's like Baltimore gangs soliciting weapons from ISIS.

Old 04-30-2015, 12:03 AM

264 posts, read 272,387 times
Every country has a history of riots.
What a lot of people lining up to condemn or excuse the rioters in Baltimore or anywhere else in the world for that matter, forget that whatever the reason for the riot and no matter who has planned it ( they are never 'spontaneous') that for most of the participants they are exciting and fun. A way you can wreck things, hurt people maybe set things on fire and get free stuff if youre lucky.
Thats why the best way to deal with them is to keep them contained as much as possible in one small place, react quickly and relatively savagely.
The exact opposite of that case sems to have happened in Baltimore.

Old 04-30-2015, 02:07 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,180,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kanhawk View Post
We have been seeing in the news lately another riot taking place, this time in Baltimore,MD. While television and social media can enhance broader viewership of these kinds of events isn't all this part of a fairly common occurrence in American history?...
Nothing new, rioting was at our roots. While we may be taught that the Sons of Liberty were great patriots, they were on the whole rioting thugs often manipulated by their "betters," looting, pillaging and attacking people. Not all our founding fathers thought they were anything other than that, no matter how school texts clean them up.

And on it went, and on it goes. This link is just about racial and ethnic rioting, it doesn't go into rioting over the various drafts or labor causes.

Mass racial violence in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 04-30-2015, 11:20 AM

256 posts, read 452,334 times
Riots are as old as the nation itself. The Boston Tea Party was basically a riot.

Old 04-30-2015, 11:42 AM

5,718 posts, read 7,253,680 times
Baltimore has been known as "Mobtown" since the 1830's. The movie, "Gangs of New York" could just as easily been set in Baltimore.

The "patriotic gore that flecked the streets of Baltimore" as mentioned in "Maryland, My Maryland", the state song, was the result of the Pratt Street Riot, which occurred when a mob of Confederate sympathizers attacked a company of Union soldiers from Massachusetts who were going to reinforce Washington, D.C.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History