Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-13-2011, 06:55 PM

56 posts, read 101,342 times

Advertisements

I am only wondering....

Is there any slightest proof that Swedes were considering attacking Poland in WWII?

Swedes and Poles had many wars between each other in the past.

In WWII Poland was attacked simultaneously by three countries:

Germany from the west,
Russia from the east,
Slovakia from the south.

As Poland has a sea border with Sweden and Sweden stayed officialy neautral I am wondering if they might have considered taking part in the partition of Poland...

Old 09-13-2011, 08:28 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,968,624 times
I would doubt it. Sweden had rigorously adhered to a policy of neutrality for the preceding 130 years, and it would seem doubtful that they would consider anything in Poland worth the cost of giving up their neutrality.

Old 09-13-2011, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
I would doubt it. Sweden had rigorously adhered to a policy of neutrality for the preceding 130 years, and it would seem doubtful that they would consider anything in Poland worth the cost of giving up their neutrality.
I wouldn't be surprised if Germans tried to convince Sweden to do so, as they did with Slovakia. Hungary refused to take part in it due to a long Polish-Hungarian friendship. They even didn't allow Hitler to invade Poland from their territory as Poland bordered Hungary at those times.

By the way, FYI many Norwegians and Finns never liked Sweden's neutrality.

Old 09-14-2011, 02:21 AM

23,857 posts, read 71,327,152 times
There were many (most upper class,I think) who wanted to join the war on Germany's side,but the government wanted to keep the neutrality.

Old 09-15-2011, 05:17 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,968,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by norway4life View Post

By the way, FYI many Norwegians and Finns never liked Sweden's neutrality.
Given that Finland has spent most of its life as a part of the Kingdom of Sweden, I would think they'd be perfectly happy to have non-belligerent Swedes next door.

Although neutral, Sweden did give Germany unhampered access through its territory into nazi-occupied Norway. Sso, Norwegians, at least, might have welcomed an anti-German buffer in between.

I bet the Norwegians and Finns would much prefer a neutral Sweden over a Sweden allied with Germany or Russia.

Old 09-15-2011, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
I bet the Norwegians and Finns would much prefer a neutral Sweden over a Sweden allied with Germany or Russia.
You didn't understand me.

What I meants was that Norwegians and Finns never liked that Sweden didn't join countries AGAINST Germany and Soviet Union.

Operation Weserübung - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Winter War - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 09-16-2011, 02:49 AM
Yac

6,051 posts, read 7,727,879 times
Since it seems the aim of the op wasn't to discuss this hypothetical situation but to bash Sweden, I'm closing this thread. I know there is some Norway/Sweden hate out there, neighbors usually create some tension.. but city-data is not a place to vent this misguided frustration.
Closed.
Yac.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History