Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2011, 08:22 AM

2,991 posts, read 4,289,837 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
The inference is that the total armed bully creep stuff was a form of acting out...
a defense mechanism exacerbated by what being gay meant in his life and in society in general at the time.
You mean that he wasn't just a bad egg? That what he did was OK because it was really he who was the victim rather than the thousands (hundreds? millions?) of people he damaged? Today I feel like a victim, too, so maybe I will just go out and bully somebody . . .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2011, 08:43 AM

10,261 posts, read 21,753,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamish Forbes View Post
You mean that he wasn't just a bad egg? That what he did was OK because it was really he who was the victim rather than the thousands (hundreds? millions?) of people he damaged? Today I feel like a victim, too, so maybe I will just go out and bully somebody . . .

You imply that seeking understanding of a person's motives is seeking excuses for the person as well. That's not true.

Old 10-07-2011, 08:49 AM

34,090 posts, read 82,975,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamish Forbes View Post
You mean that he wasn't just a bad egg? That what he did was OK because...
No. If I had meant to say that I would have.

Old 10-07-2011, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
You imply that seeking understanding of a person's motives is seeking excuses for the person as well. That's not true.
So, how many angels can dance on the head of a pin?

Old 10-07-2011, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
No. If I had meant to say that I would have.
Sorry -- I read too much into your post.

Old 10-13-2011, 05:31 PM

366 posts, read 774,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
WASHINGTON — The director and star of the upcoming Hollywood film on J. Edgar Hoover sought information from officials at FBI headquarters about disputed aspects of the iconic former FBI director's sexual life while preparing the movie.

Assistant FBI Director Mike Kortan said that in separate meetings this year with director Clint Eastwood and actor Leonardo DiCaprio, who plays Hoover in the film scheduled for release next month, both men broached the issue of Hoover's sexuality.

Filmmaker Eastwood asked FBI about Hoover's sexuality
J. Edgar's sexuality has always been a hot topic. Supposedly he enjoyed the company of women when he was a young man.

Old 10-14-2011, 09:11 AM

14,993 posts, read 23,892,069 times
Hoover had a lot of political enemies when he was alive. As much as he would use dirty tricks to destroy his enemies, they would do the same back. Hench the gay/cross dresser rumors. Otherwise their is absolutely no evidence that he was either.
I hope the film does not touch on the subject and sticks to the facts, to do otherwise would be just to sensationalize a topic for box office reasons and would destroy all credibility the film would have.

Old 10-14-2011, 09:39 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,192,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
WASHINGTON — The director and star of the upcoming Hollywood film on J. Edgar Hoover sought information from officials at FBI headquarters about disputed aspects of the iconic former FBI director's sexual life while preparing the movie.

Assistant FBI Director Mike Kortan said that in separate meetings this year with director Clint Eastwood and actor Leonardo DiCaprio, who plays Hoover in the film scheduled for release next month, both men broached the issue of Hoover's sexuality.
Link to a book on the same subject

J. Edgar Hoover - Blackmailed by the Mafia

Old 10-14-2011, 11:22 AM

15,145 posts, read 14,329,825 times
CE says: It's not a movie about two gay guys It's a movie about how this guy manipulated everybody around him and managed to stay on through nine presidents. I mean I don't give a crap if he was gay or not. Now whether he was gay or not is gonna be for the audience to interpret.
The script, is among other things, the story of how a once great man can rot-the dark side of power and the vulnerability that often lies beneath it.

Old 10-14-2011, 08:33 PM

2,031 posts, read 2,988,369 times
I wonder if Eastwood had any idea before now that his name was floated internally in the 1988 Bush campaign as a possible running mate?

H.W. Bush pondered Clint Eastwood for veep in '88
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History