Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2011, 10:03 AM

1,298 posts, read 949,329 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
God created Satan to give himself plausible deniability for all the evil He created.

Among God's more serious mistakes was to create a world in which all values are relative, but a world with only Good and no Evil would have no referent by which to define Good within that relativistic dichotomy.

I wonder what the world would be like if God had given a little forethought to what he was going to create. Maybe 6 days was unrealistically ambitious. In any case, after the world is gone, I bet He'll never try anything like that again.

I for one think he should have consulted a shrink before taking on such burdensome task.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2011, 10:30 AM

34,090 posts, read 82,675,254 times
Back on topic... the "ancient times" reasons for the ban on pork didn't end until about two decades
after modern refrigeration was in common use and USDA butchering and handling regulations were established...
and those new methods had a chance to become well understood.

hth

Old 11-01-2011, 11:12 AM

16,611 posts, read 15,568,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieA View Post
that was my first thought. As a child, I always heard about being careful of undercooked pork....it would give you worms. The slightest pink was cause for alarm. (I am a southerner) My DH, who is from PA, said that one of his grandmothers was so afraid of not getting pork done that she would cook it so hard, it rattled and bounced when it hit the plate......LOL
I hate it when that happens. However, I remember it well. Meat cooked so hard it was impossible to eat.

Old 11-01-2011, 11:23 AM

2,472 posts, read 3,190,894 times
Pork was harder to keep good back then. It spoiled easily and also came with some adverse health effects. This is one of the main reasons why it was seen as bad.

Old 11-01-2011, 01:33 PM

42,579 posts, read 86,736,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aganusn View Post
Pork was harder to keep good back then. It spoiled easily and also came with some adverse health effects. This is one of the main reasons why it was seen as bad.
Which is why bacon was invented. Bacon, if stored properly, keeps forever. Same for cured sausages. Beer and cheese were invented for the same reason.

You can live on a desert island for ten years, provided you can also salvage a cargo of bacon, cheese, beer, and dehydrated vegetables, or fresh vegetables that you can dehydrate yourself just by leaving them out in the sun on your desert island.

Old 11-01-2011, 04:02 PM

354 posts, read 853,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kanhawk View Post
Jews and Muslims forbid the consumption and handling of pork. Religious edicts sometimes have a practical reason behind them. We know pork is perfectly safe now, but was there a practical health reason in ancient times for avoiding pork?
Great Question! I always wondered this too! The explanation that made the most sense to me was that Pigs and Humans eat about the same food. In anciant times many poor people existed by eating the scraps of what other people did not eat. If they had pigs then the poor would have to compete with the pigs for food.

An ancient person without pigs would have no reason not to give his scraps to a poor person because most food could not be kept for very long in the days before preservatives and refridgerators. If that same ancient person had a pig then he would give his scraps to the pig instead of giving them away.

Old 11-01-2011, 08:29 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,609,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
The Food & Drug Administration recently revised down the recommended minimum "safe-cooking" temperature of pork from 165F to 145F.
Hogs are leaner now (less lard) and thus, for those who eat pork, the meat can be cooked to a lower temperature than in prior generations.

Leaner hogs is why many older family heirloom cookbooks recommend cooking temperatures and cooking times that are no longer applicable.

Old 11-01-2011, 09:26 PM

1,016 posts, read 3,030,780 times
Prohibitions on pork in the ancient world are pretty much limited to the Levant. Pork was eaten in ancient Rome, Greece, Egypt, Northern Europe, and Asia. All of these places had the same reasons to avoid eating pork as anybody in the Levant, but they didn't abstain.

Therefore, despite attempts to place practical reasons behind the religious practice, I believe that the main purpose was religious separation and ritual cleanliness rather than disease prevention.

Old 11-02-2011, 06:02 AM

34,090 posts, read 82,675,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TravisW View Post
Therefore, despite attempts to place practical reasons behind the religious practice...
Pardon?
Have you even read the thread?
I believe that the main purpose was religious separation and ritual cleanliness rather than disease prevention.
You have that backwards.
The religious separation (where it happened) was at best incidental
to the very reasonable common sense approach of to cleanliness in general.

In later years, like during the plagues of Europe, the Jews were thought to be devils because
they didn't get infected anywhere near as much as their neighbors who lived in foul and filthy conditions.

hth

Old 11-02-2011, 07:14 AM

48,564 posts, read 24,023,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
You have that backwards.
The religious separation (where it happened) was at best incidental
to the very reasonable common sense approach of to cleanliness in general.

In later years, like during the plagues of Europe, the Jews were thought to be devils because
they didn't get infected anywhere near as much as their neighbors who lived in foul and filthy conditions.

hth
That does not really support your argument, does it? Or are you claiming that Europe's plagues were caused by eating tainted pork? And that the Jews not eating pork somehow protected them from plague?

Keep in mind we are talking about an age when disease was believed to be the product of demons or angry gods. Which is more likely, that somehow a small group of ancients figured out the relationship between health and pork consumption, knowledge which somehow eluded the majority of the world which went right on consuming pork without ever noticing, or the Levant ban on pork was the product of religious superstition?

The former requires you to embrace a great leap forward in science for these desert dwellers, the latter is consistent with the way things were.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History