U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 11-25-2011, 10:41 AM

121 posts, read 103,026 times
Default Would imperial japan win a war against nazi-germany?

Let's assume that Japan defeated the US and raped Russia from Siberia....
Would germany attack japan or japan attack germany in the future?

Who would win?
Discuss
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2011, 10:42 AM

121 posts, read 103,026 times
My bet is on the Japanese because they had a best and possibly more experienced air force and navy so basically it would be game over for Nazi Germany.

Old 11-25-2011, 11:33 AM

2,073 posts, read 1,980,113 times
And how would they have done it? This was the 1940's. They did not really have the means to go fight millions of people thousands of miles away. Look how long it took us to get everything to the U.K. and prepare for D-day.

Old 11-25-2011, 01:14 PM

8,589 posts, read 5,962,651 times
I'll go ahead and state the obvious: The Imperial Japanese Navy was far and away superior to the German Navy, at least until its destruction by the United States rendered it ineffective as a fighting force by the end of 1944 (give or take as to that date). However the German Wehrmacht (army) was probably as superior to the Japanese Imperial Army as its navy was inferior. The air forces were, I think, closer to equality, although I don't think any fighter plane in the world was superior to the Japanese Zero in dogfighting ability as of, say, December of 1941.

So the result of any armed conflict between Japan and Nazi Germany would depend on the extent to which that conflict played out at sea versus on land, would it not? The two countries were practically on opposite sides of the globe from one another, so I am having difficulty imagining where exactly they would have met on the field of battle, given the technology available at that time.

Old 11-25-2011, 10:10 PM

9,258 posts, read 10,854,232 times
It would depend on which side the Kyrelian Armada lurking behind Saturn threw in with.

Old 11-25-2011, 11:23 PM

10,449 posts, read 5,959,722 times
Are they fighting over who gets Kansas?

Old 11-26-2011, 11:09 AM

38,729 posts, read 34,414,605 times
It would depend on whose turf the theater was on. There would be huge logistical problems for one side or the other, with that much geography between them.

Old 11-26-2011, 11:38 AM

9,480 posts, read 6,477,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
It would depend on whose turf the theater was on. There would be huge logistical problems for one side or the other, with that much geography between them.
The first battleground would be the Soviet Union. The Germans would have taken enough the Japanese didn't have a hope of capturing it during winter and its doubtful IF they could during other times. But in the areas adjoining the sea, where both the military advantage of the German Army and the Japanese navy and air could play out between them, the fighting would be intense.

Thing is, one could never take from the other enough to 'win', and the ideal would be to make a treaty and quit. But as Hitler wouldn't have held to one, and the Japanese would not have signed one in the first place, my guess would be they'd drag each other down slowly due to the fanatcism of the rulers.

I'm still not sure how the US would be defeated, given there is a whole continent involved, but if we weren't bombed out by an atomic bomb, we and other places would not remain conquered long as the victors weakened themselves.

Generally speaking, the result would be a large broken world as the damage of liberation healed, and eventually something completely different as it came together again.

Old 11-26-2011, 01:07 PM
Status: ""My religion is kindness." -- The Dalai Lama" (set 17 days ago)

2,884 posts, read 1,998,816 times
Back in the 70's and early 80's, my best friend and I actually wargamed this scenario in 1/700 scale, including some epic maneuver-and-fire sea battles fought in large empty parking lots at the local university, and some epic air- and land-battles fought with maps and dice in my living room. So I have a bit of "experience" here.

As previously said, it would greatly depend on WHERE the war was fought. It would also greatly depend on how much of the Allied navies were acquired by each nation.

A land war in Eurasia would favor Germany, because it would mostly take sea power out of the picture. The Soviet Union had already relocated its military manufacturing to the east. There is a strong possibility that China would align itself with Germany against Japan. The only resources they had were human, but they had them in extreme abundance.

A sea war in the Pacific would greatly favor Japan.

Though unlikely, a land war in North America would likely be a toss-up. Though Japan's supply lines would be much longer, it would have the naval and maritime resources to handle it.

Old 11-26-2011, 02:52 PM

14,432 posts, read 5,629,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roflguy2012 View Post
My bet is on the Japanese because they had a best and possibly more experienced air force and navy so basically it would be game over for Nazi Germany.
it takes boots on the ground to take and keep the ground. nazi germany had the better army between japan and germany.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History