Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2016, 02:16 PM

162 posts, read 146,743 times

Advertisements

I read long ago that North Africa once was the breadbasket of the Roman Empire. Was the climate different or did Rome cause massive deforestation? How did a desert feed Rome?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2016, 04:37 PM

4,657 posts, read 4,114,602 times
Egypt was the bread basket of Rome because of the fertility of the Nile river.

Old 01-09-2016, 06:40 PM

8,067 posts, read 8,352,944 times
The Vandals also exported grain to Rome from north Africa.

Old 01-10-2016, 01:20 AM

295 posts, read 245,568 times
It seems that the climate zones were all shifted further south back then. North Africa's climate was more like modern day Spain & Italy. Ancient Italy was cooler and wetter, more like modern day France.

Old 01-10-2016, 10:33 PM

4,449 posts, read 4,613,433 times
Re: climate in North Africa..

One effect that can be seen in the ancient area of Carthage are the remains of homes built down through the sand to take advantage of the cooler temps and to get out of the blazing sun.

Speaking of desert, Justinian's historian Procopius noted he found the formerly great city of Leptis Magna 'deserted' and 'invaded by sand'. And he was writing in the 6th century. Whipping and blowing sand conditions no doubt contributed to erosion of granite as well as hiding the city through the centuries.

Old 01-11-2016, 01:15 AM

5,699 posts, read 4,916,503 times
I'm not certain, but I think it had to do with deforestation and depletion of soil fertility. If it were not for modern fertilizer the American prairies would be one gigantic dessert. It's sad that the land has never fully recovered, even after 1,500 years after the fall of Rome. Also the Romans built dams and irrigated their fields.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roman_Libya
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_Libya

Old 01-12-2016, 12:08 PM

950 posts, read 1,257,386 times
Grega 94 you may be right. My dad was a flight crew chief and mechanic during WW2 and was in North Africa. I recall him mentioning you could see from the air what appeared to be the remains of towns or cities in the desert.Once asked him if anyone went out there to do archeological work and he said not that he knew of. He also mentioned the rock paintings in the Libyan desert.These are the rock paintings that were shown in a few scenes in the movie The English Paitent. So the climate may have been totaly different in the past.

Old 01-12-2016, 12:31 PM

14,993 posts, read 23,871,114 times
Yes and no.
The Sahara itself underwent desertification about 11,000 years ago, obviously way before the roman empire was in existence. Fertile areas remained along the nile and along the med coast in areas such as Tunisia and Tripoli. Those areas were deforested and overgrazed and overfarmed (slash and burn) - leading to degredation - not only N. Africa but all over the med coast.

Old 01-12-2016, 03:09 PM

4,657 posts, read 4,114,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fritos56 View Post
Grega 94 you may be right. My dad was a flight crew chief and mechanic during WW2 and was in North Africa. I recall him mentioning you could see from the air what appeared to be the remains of towns or cities in the desert.Once asked him if anyone went out there to do archeological work and he said not that he knew of. He also mentioned the rock paintings in the Libyan desert.These are the rock paintings that were shown in a few scenes in the movie The English Paitent. So the climate may have been totaly different in the past.

The Garamantes civilization. But they always lived in desert, tapping underground water systems.

Old 01-13-2016, 06:43 PM

5,699 posts, read 4,916,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fritos56 View Post
Well those rock paintings were most likely painted right after the ice age when the sahara looked very similar to the serengeti, it was teeming with life and had many rivers flowing through it, it then dried up over time.

Sahara Desert Was Once Lush and Populated
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neolithic_Subpluvial
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History