U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-23-2012, 09:09 AM
 
Location: The western periphery of Terra Australis
24,682 posts, read 53,184,843 times
Reputation: 11862

Advertisements

I always hear about British history here. Especially about this king or queen, wars.etc. Actually most people don't know much about French history here pre-Napoleon. US history is very modern so it's easier to summarize it if you know what I mean.

Rome, Egypt, Greece, China are also heavily featured. Chinese history is so long but I think most people are aware of things like the Mongol conquest, Opium War, Boxer Rebellion, Rape of Nanking. In later years, the histories of Germany and Japan are well known.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-23-2012, 09:41 AM
 
14,781 posts, read 41,637,243 times
Reputation: 14594
That's a tough one depending on how you frame it. If we are only talking countries, then places like the US, Britain and France certainly have some of the most extensive and accessible histories. For instance, the US, as a nation, probably has one of the most extensive and well documented histories for the sum of its existence.

In general terms though, nations like Egypt, Iran and China easily have some of the longest historical records. For most obscure, as others have said, just find any nation/area that did not have a written history for much of its time. Pacific islands, areas of Africa and South America certainly count in that, where much of their known history is colonial and post-colonial or divined from archeological records.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-25-2012, 10:32 AM
 
Location: Brooklyn
40,049 posts, read 33,336,994 times
Reputation: 10595
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thepastpresentandfuture View Post
The top 10 countries with generally the most unknown/obscure history:

1. Kyrgyzstan
2. Bhutan
3. Azerbaijan
4. Tajikistan
5. Thailand
6. Cambodia
7. Laos
8. Guyana
9. Gabon
10. Fiji
Worthy candidates all...but I'm curious to know why Liechtenstein, Andorra and Qatar didn't make your list?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-25-2012, 10:01 PM
 
7,811 posts, read 13,143,818 times
Reputation: 4041
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
Worthy candidates all...but I'm curious to know why Liechtenstein, Andorra and Qatar didn't make your list?
Thanks! I am glad there are other people that agree with those 10 countries I mentioned to be great candidates for countries with the most unknown/obscure history.

I do think there are some other countries that are good candidates too such as what you mentioned with Liechtenstein, Andorra, and Qatar.
They could make my top 10 as well, or at the very least a top 15 to top 20.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-25-2012, 10:21 PM
 
7,811 posts, read 13,143,818 times
Reputation: 4041
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
That's a tough one depending on how you frame it. If we are only talking countries, then places like the US, Britain and France certainly have some of the most extensive and accessible histories. For instance, the US, as a nation, probably has one of the most extensive and well documented histories for the sum of its existence.

In general terms though, nations like Egypt, Iran and China easily have some of the longest historical records. For most obscure, as others have said, just find any nation/area that did not have a written history for much of its time. Pacific islands, areas of Africa and South America certainly count in that, where much of their known history is colonial and post-colonial or divined from archeological records.
I agree that the USA, United Kingdom/England, and France have some of the most Obvious/Well Known History and easily make my top 10 and even top 3 which includes how extensive their historical records are and how accessible it is to others.

That is also true about Egypt being able to make the top 10.That country could easily make my top 10 as well. I was deciding between Germany, Japan, and Egypt for 9th place/10th place.

For the thread subject, I meant it more by most people’s perception for the history of certain countries such as how obvious/well known and unknown/obscure it is to the perception of most people. However, the actual extent of written history records for a certain country and how extensive/accessible those historical records are to others can definitely influence most people's perception for the history of a certain country.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-25-2012, 10:29 PM
 
Location: Sierra Vista, AZ
17,544 posts, read 23,658,690 times
Reputation: 9965
Tannu Tuva

Bokhara

Khiva

Sikkim

Last edited by Boompa; 01-25-2012 at 11:03 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-03-2012, 11:54 PM
 
Location: University City, Philadelphia
22,634 posts, read 14,240,589 times
Reputation: 15881
The history of Thailand and Cambodia is obscure????

Are you serious???

These countries have long well documented and celebrated histories going back to the Khmer Empire and the Sukhothai,Ayutthaya and Rattanakoisin periods. Music, dance, art and architecture survived over the centuries from these places.

I would say the land where some of my ancestors came from - Bessarabia - is far more obscure.

Places like Borneo, Bhutan,Swaziland,and Uzbekistan would have more obscure histories.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-04-2012, 12:21 AM
 
605 posts, read 1,442,046 times
Reputation: 633
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
The history of Thailand and Cambodia is obscure????

Are you serious???

These countries have long well documented and celebrated histories going back to the Khmer Empire and the Sukhothai,Ayutthaya and Rattanakoisin periods. Music, dance, art and architecture survived over the centuries from these places.

I would say the land where some of my ancestors came from - Bessarabia - is far more obscure.

Places like Borneo, Bhutan,Swaziland,and Uzbekistan would have more obscure histories.

Ya I would agree. Southeast Asia has a pretty well documented history.

I would definitely put China, Egypt and many of the near eastern nations at the top though for the most documented ancient history.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-15-2012, 05:33 PM
 
Location: Fairfax County, VA
3,718 posts, read 5,435,401 times
Reputation: 1474
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thepastpresentandfuture View Post
The top 10 countries with generally the most unknown/obscure history:

1. Kyrgyzstan
2. Bhutan
3. Azerbaijan
4. Tajikistan
5. Thailand
6. Cambodia
7. Laos
8. Guyana
9. Gabon
10. Fiji
Obscure? No. Unknown? Yes.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-15-2012, 08:58 PM
 
3,911 posts, read 9,021,076 times
Reputation: 1953
As an American, I would say the histories most taught in public schools were-

1. USA
2. England
3. France
4. Ancient Greek
5. Ancient Roman
6. Ancient Egyptian
7. Spanish
8. Russian/Soviet
9. Mexican
10. Canadian

Everywhere else was secondary.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2023, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top