Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2012, 04:06 PM

19,012 posts, read 29,663,567 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
So why are there not more movies about Irak and Afghanistan? The emotions are there, fresh, and recent? I would like to see more of these kinds of movies to get reminded on how many brave people had to die there?
Iraq and Afghanistan are recent and they stoke emotion PLUS controversy which Hollywood hates. Well Hollywood loves controversies as long as it offends de-fanged, powerless but once powerful entities like the Vatican (a prime boxing bag ), but Islam?? That goes directly against neo-kool-aid liberalism ideology which Hollywood identifies itself with. Big taboo.

Hitler is globally hated. He's not muslim. Or, muslims don't care about him. The Jews hate him, Christians hate him, hindus don't bother much if the swastika is disrespected (they'll be like Hitler used the what?? really?).... he's the safest bet for good controversy and good anger. He's the better alternative to someone like the Joker or Lex Luthor, appeals to the non-comic-book adult demographic

Old 02-08-2012, 04:50 PM

10,659 posts, read 10,701,824 times
Any simple study of WW2 History should lead one to realize that it is the Pivotal point of the 20th century. Very nearly every world government, almost every technological or medical development, any myriad of social issues has some correlation to WW2 Why should not one be interested in the very thing that has given us the world was we know it???

Old 02-08-2012, 04:56 PM

15 posts, read 45,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Currency Pair Crocodile View Post
Well Hollywood loves controversies as long as it offends de-fanged, powerless but once powerful entities like the Vatican (a prime boxing bag ), but Islam?? That goes directly against neo-kool-aid liberalism ideology which Hollywood identifies itself with. Big taboo.
That's funny because I was about to say basically the opposite - that making movies about Iraq and Afghanistan would force Hollywood to confront the tragedy of those wars and explore the real reasons that the U.S. government is involved in them, which is a level of critical reflection on current society that Hollywood is incapable of reaching.

Or, to put it another way, there is currently broad, deep disagreement about the meaning of U.S. involvement in Iraq and Afghanistan, so such movies are automatically NOT crowd pleasers. They will be movies that force people to think, and people mostly don't like that, and Hollywood HATES it.

On the other hand, there is near-universal agreement in the U.S. that WWII was a "good" war and the U.S.'s role in the war brought about the triumphant victory of good over evil. Not everyone agrees with this but it has been broadly ingrained in our culture for several decades. In fact WWII was by many measures the last "popular" war the U.S. fought (and probably ever will). That makes it great fodder for Hollywood and the History Channel and so on.

Old 02-08-2012, 05:18 PM

3,318 posts, read 4,113,966 times
Someone else's bad history is interesting, but your own bad history is something you tend to be ashamed of, and want to forget. Why do they not like to talk about WW2 in Japan ? With slavery, it's bad history for whites and blacks in America, and I think we would be much better off to downplay it as much as possible, and certainly not make movies about it, much like the subject of nazism is in Germany.

There is no danger of slavery making a cameback in America, whites are becoming a minority in the decades ahead. It does not do the county any good to have mobs of uneducated blacks pouring out of the movie theatre to get revenge on white people for slavery. If anything, it should be downplayed because it makes black people hate and commit hate crimes. We have to live together in this country and if it's going to be like Hawaii is now, where the state does not enforce the civil rights laws, where hate crimes apply only to whites, job discrimination against whites is OK but not for anyone else..........then we have alot of work to do before we can live together in peace. I read a blog about Hawaii, and if that's where were going, I don't want to go there.....beat howlie on the last day of school day ?? Heck, we even had a beat whitey night at the Iowa state fair last year.

Old 02-08-2012, 09:30 PM

13,139 posts, read 22,761,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
... Why can't YOU let it rest?
Because the whole affair was THAT horrifying. I hope we never forget what happened...it will keep us from letting it happen again.

Old 02-08-2012, 09:42 PM

23,143 posts, read 28,910,546 times
I don't believe there's a political leader who, deep down inside, doesn't secretly wish to play Hitler, given the chance!

I'm sure Obama does! In one fell swoop, Medicaid/Medicare/Social Security Disability bleeding wiped out overnight: kill anyone that's not useful to the country!

Health care providers? Bye-Bye!

Old 02-09-2012, 01:40 AM

13,498 posts, read 18,138,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hornet67 View Post
Perhaps you should know that Hitler committed suicide in April. 1945, which was almost 67 years ago, and that the Third Reich began in Jan., 1933, 79 years ago. Neither is close to 100 years. The First World War did not even begin until 1914, 98 years ago.
The various "History" channels on cable do seem to be obsesssed with Hitler and his times, and there seems to almost always be a program running with some connection to Der Fuhrer. It must generate viewers, thus ratings, and ad revenues, or they would not continue.
I think the obsession with Hitler is in part not unlike the obsession with Frankenstein's monster or Dracula, the thrill of unimaginable evil. It titillates....and because of that it automatically draws a certain number of viewers just on that basis.

Last edited by kevxu; 02-09-2012 at 02:11 AM..

Old 02-09-2012, 01:56 AM

16,433 posts, read 22,154,382 times
I was born in 1944, so Hitler and I were contemporaries. We never met, however...

Old 02-09-2012, 02:10 AM

13,498 posts, read 18,138,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debsi View Post
My grandmother's entire family was gassed to death.

Sorry we're not over it soon enough for you.
Three of my four grandparents all had vivid stories from their parents of the Great Famine in Ireland - the youngest children starving to death at home, the carts that came and collected entire dead families, the mass graves, the dead fallen on the roadside, our family members dying on the way to emigrate or on the ships....and each year the same as the last, while the landlords actually were able to export food from the country in the Famine years.

But my grandparents' children, my parents and aunts and uncles, while they respected these events, were three generations removed from this catastrophe and did not hold these stories close and continue to mourn them as their own horrors.

How long "getting over it" takes in generations, who can say? But I have no doubt that it is a normal and healthy process, by which personal horrors and pains stop being passed down from generation to generation as if they should continue to be felt personally by people long removed from the events.

Whether it be the Irish, European Jews, African-Americans, etc. etc. through all the horrors of history, I doubt if there is a healthy "exceptionalism" to the process whereby these awful events become historical, not personal, memories.

Old 02-09-2012, 02:23 AM

9,616 posts, read 12,891,958 times
Default Another perspective: save our own futures

There's also the very real issue of us Westerners possibly forgetting the insanity that followed on Hitler's initially effective and functional work ethic, not to mention his "driven" attitude towards getting the German people up off their collective rumps and getting back to a good work ethic.

Remember now, (if you aren't aware, then you should read up a bit..) Germany was flat on it's face pre-Hitler, and he did reorganize it all, plus he created a very effective economy. Too bad for Germany and the world that it did go to his head though, and this is the real danger of even a moder day Ahmadinejhad (sp?) or the like. Or that murderous Bas#$%#45rd in Syria, not to mention Ghaddafi in Libya! Or even the potential possibilities of a religious-right fundy type following in the footsteps of Bush II, and enthusiastically carried on with the Bushy-Baby's silly faith-based initiatives! OMG!!

Massive egos aren't always there to begin with, but when people, tired of do-nothing governments, react to an apparently inspired leader, will then grant a new-message leader their full attention and devotion. Up until it's too late, and CrystalNacht happens. Why not review the process and be wary as regards our own potential futures, pray tell?

Don't forget as well: there's lots of alternate perspectives on Hitler and all his gang, incl. his progress and effects on the social fabric of the entire world, and so on. And The Military, History and Discovery Channels all have to come up with something, after all, to sell those ad time slots!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.