U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2012, 06:33 PM

1,909 posts, read 1,960,571 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6 Foot 3 View Post
Where did American founding fathers get the term President for head of U.S. state/government from?
Interesting question - the term 'President' was used for the person who was elected to preside over and moderate the First Continental Congress. Basically, the President was a creature of the Congress without any real power. This position lasted from 1774 thru 1788 and sixteen different men held the position during this time. President of the Continental Congress - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I don't have any direct information to back up this next point, but it is my belief that the term "President" was transferred onto the national government's head of state as defined by the U.S. Constitution simply via the fact that the title has been in use by the United States Congress for 15 years.

I do remember from David McCullough's biography of John Adams which stated that Mr. Adams did not care for the term 'president' as the term at that time was more commonly used for the presiding officer of small civic organizations and private social clubs and not for a national head of state. During his first term as Vice President Adams attempted to attach more grandiose adjectives to the title of President, which earned him a reputation from his peers as being an elitist.

Quote:
Had the term ever been used for a world leader before George Washington?
Discounting the 16 Presidents of the Continental Congresses, I don't believe so, but I'm basing that upon Adam's reasons for disliking the title.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2012, 08:39 AM

13,025 posts, read 24,474,494 times
I appreciate all the good answers from everyone as i learned something new with the discussion on this thread subject that i'd started here. I'm going to go with Grandstander's take on the roman/latin term Praesidere meaning presides to which i believe that the 'founders' then dirived or anglicized the term President from.

Old 03-28-2012, 10:13 PM

12,012 posts, read 13,539,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6 Foot 3 View Post
I appreciate all the good answers from everyone as i learned something new with the discussion on this thread subject that i'd started here. I'm going to go with Grandstander's take on the roman/latin term Praesidere meaning presides to which i believe that the 'founders' then dirived or anglicized the term President from.
I would assume the term "President" for French judges comes from the Latin "Praesidere" as well. It was used in the ancien regime, and is still used as a title for judges.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History