U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Unread 03-31-2012, 10:45 PM

5,199 posts, read 10,646,609 times
I disagree, I love 70s stuff.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 03-31-2012, 11:29 PM

3,244 posts, read 1,149,226 times
Remember the punk movement started in the late 70s and you still see punk kids still dressing that way, I dress somewhat punkish. Most of the mainstream fashions from that time do look hideous in retrospect, it was especially weird on shows like MASH and Happy days that were supposed to be in the 50s but you saw those 70s hairstyles creeping in. I love to listen to cool 70s rock and funk but I generally don't like watching the singers perform because they look ridiculous lol.

Unread 04-01-2012, 12:14 AM

2,876 posts, read 6,056,480 times
I COMPLETELY agree with the OP. Even at the time I could see that so much of what was happening in the 70s was in appallingly poor taste. It was and will always be the standard of ugliness by which all other ugliness will be judged.

The 80s were substantially better than the 70s. The architecture was a modest improvement. The music was significantly better. The clothing was better. The colors were better. The 70s were a depressed and depressing decade. Good riddance. May the 70s NEVER return.

As for why this mass outbreak of ugliness occurred, I don't know. Maybe the planet was infected by an Ugly virus that entered the atmosphere via a meteor. And it took a decade before natural antibodies killed it off.

Unread 04-01-2012, 12:44 AM

9,152 posts, read 5,861,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
I pity you for being blind and not realizing there is such a thing called "classic" clothing that ANY intelligent human being can analyze from past generations and know what fashions and styles could easily pass in the modern world. If you don't know what that is, that's not my problem.
I know what 'classic' styles are. When I worked for a bank we had to wear 'classic suits'. Nice classic suits for women cost then, in the 80's, a couple hundred dollars a jacket so I got really tired of wearing the two I bought. Lost my job, ended up never working in an office again, and gleefully gave my 'uniforms' to a thrift shop.

Are you also a follower of fashion, not the extremes but the in color or cut? Are you one of those people who really like being seen as one of the herd?

I have nothing against the 'classic' but there is nothing inheritanty better or better looking about it unless its a personal thing that the wearer likes Like my suits, for I felt like it was an unwelcome and overly expensive uniform. Classic is wonderful for those who like to wear it. Jeans and boots and casual tops are just as wonderful if that is what the wearer feels comfortable in.

As for the 60's it was about creative and individual expression. The only real sin was polyester. Note nobody has ever tried to revive it that with good reason. The really showy stuff gave way to what nearly everyone wears today, jeans, tshirts, sleveless tops, casual wear, etc.

And much of that look came from layers of undergarmets. Sorry but your not going to get many to go that route again.

Unread 04-01-2012, 10:19 AM

4,504 posts, read 2,517,691 times
Yeah, the 21st Century is reeeaaaalllly so much more beautiful than the ugly ol' '70s....

Unread 04-01-2012, 10:57 AM

4,644 posts, read 4,381,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoPro View Post
Yeah, the 21st Century is reeeaaaalllly so much more beautiful than the ugly ol' '70s....

Funny you say that. Because her look around that time was ENTIRELY 70s inspired. With the exception of the meat of course. She even said it herself. That's why she looked like this on the cover of Vogue released around the same time.

Still butt ugly. Besides, she dresses and acts like a freak for a living. It's not like it's a worldwide trend.

Unread 04-01-2012, 11:02 AM

6,840 posts, read 14,733,342 times
Now, we have to admit that there is one thing good about a lot of today's styles.

A lot of the women's tops and dresses make the wearer look pregnant.

Today's dresses let you hide the bump under those high waisted, gathered fronts.

Nice!!

Unread 04-01-2012, 11:10 AM

14,099 posts, read 12,425,754 times
Drugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
So I'm pretty young (19) but I would not say I'm your average young adult. Ever since I could remember I've had a profound interest in history and nostalgia. I love looking at the different styles of past generations regarding fashion, music, architecture, customs, what have you. I've found that most generations have fashions and styles that are wearable today or any time period. They call this "classic" clothing.

But the ONE time period I have to say that I completely consistently flawed by and can't say the same for is the 60s and 70s. Particularly the 70s. I've researched and seen how the early 60s had a very clean cut look like the 50s but progressed into crap on towards the 70s. Everything about that time period simply registers to me as ugly and hideous. Any other decade or time period, I can easily see things anybody from this time could wear. I rarely see timeless fashions for that period. I don't understand where those fashions came from after the clean cut 40s and 50s. Bell bottoms, platform shoes, psychedelic themed shirts, wide use of colors like yellow, brown and burnt orange and in stripes too (barf!). From the hairstyles to the architecture, is just appalling. I remember when I was a child in the 90s, some of my older family members lived in houses that were still in 70s fashioned with the mustard yellow flower-pattern wall paper and tile. Even at my young age, I found it unsightly then too. Why were things so ugly back then?

Unread 04-01-2012, 11:24 AM

14,099 posts, read 12,425,754 times
I was a kid in the 70s. I don't miss paisley shirts, wide tab collars, bell bottoms, corduroy pants of ugly colors, and the infamous leisure suit.

England does still have some hot actresses. Look up Billie Piper.

Unread 04-01-2012, 12:00 PM

9,791 posts, read 5,290,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
England does still have some hot actresses. Look up Billie Piper.
Billie Piper is one of the ones I had in mind when I was complaining about dumpy/frumpy.

Not my notion of "hot."

I do not believe that there is any right or wrong involved in any of this, nor is there much point to this discussion other than people registering their likes and dislikes. Further, one's attitude about appearances changes as you age. I really liked the three piece corduroy suits of the '70's when I was wearing them, now in retrospect they look god awful. I also recall that in the late '60's/early '70's, it was a high fashion crime for a young person not to be wearing the tightest fitting shirt possible. They were really uncomfortable, yet I would suffer them without complaint rather than be seen in a loose fitting shirt. In retrospect, they also now seem repulsive. The women's polyester pants suits of the early '70's were horrible looking to me even when they were popular.

I like what I like, so do you, so does everyone here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History