U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-01-2012, 03:14 PM

2,490 posts, read 4,155,443 times

Advertisements

I've always tended to have ideas and beliefs that resounded more with the older generation, rather than with modern society. I feel like I should have been born in the 1920s or 1930s and been a young adults during the 1950s. I've about the so-called "Silent generation" of the 1950s and realized I sound a lot like them them. I probably could have fit right into 1955 with no problem, sometimes I feel so out of place in today's world.

Anyone else feel the same way?

Last edited by 90sman; 05-01-2012 at 03:35 PM..
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2012, 03:33 PM

3,864 posts, read 5,969,371 times
For decades, I've had the nagging sense that I should be back in the mid to late 1800s. Don't know why, and I don't even try to explain it to people. I like things that make sense, and this doesn't.

Old 05-01-2012, 04:47 PM

2,187 posts, read 4,273,447 times
I have always been told that I have an "old soul" and until I was a grownup I never realized what that exactly meant. I was the youngest of 3 kids and there was a good span of years between us, so I mostly was around adults (and animals), listening to their conversation and really understanding how they had experienced life and how different and much harder it was for them that it was for me. I realized that every generation has an easier time of existing than those before it, either due to technology, beliefs, abilities, or possessions. I just always enjoyed sitting with my grandparents and listening to stories about the "old days", and I love reading historical pieces of many ages - although I do seem to be "drawn" to certain time periods more than most, ex. I am rabid about the 1800's - settling the old west, especially admire Native Indian History (heartbreaking), I enjoy the Civil War era and sometimes looking at the old tin type pictures - feels like deja vu'. I also feel drawn to WWII history - particularly the Jewish people who were absolutely decimated for no sane reason (there is no sane reason), feeling their pain and horror and realizing that was in my parents lifetime and not so long ago. My heart just goes out to those people who had family members killed, or are survivors themselves. I cannot imagine the horror of life at that time in history - but it still continues to this day...

Old 05-01-2012, 05:03 PM

48,565 posts, read 22,192,157 times
I was born thousands of years too soon.

Old 05-01-2012, 07:27 PM

1,738 posts, read 1,970,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CFoulke View Post
I have always been told that I have an "old soul" and until I was a grownup I never realized what that exactly meant. I was the youngest of 3 kids and there was a good span of years between us, so I mostly was around adults (and animals), listening to their conversation and really understanding how they had experienced life and how different and much harder it was for them that it was for me. I realized that every generation has an easier time of existing than those before it, either due to technology, beliefs, abilities, or possessions. I just always enjoyed sitting with my grandparents and listening to stories about the "old days", and I love reading historical pieces of many ages - although I do seem to be "drawn" to certain time periods more than most, ex. I am rabid about the 1800's - settling the old west, especially admire Native Indian History (heartbreaking), I enjoy the Civil War era and sometimes looking at the old tin type pictures - feels like deja vu'. I also feel drawn to WWII history - particularly the Jewish people who were absolutely decimated for no sane reason (there is no sane reason), feeling their pain and horror and realizing that was in my parents lifetime and not so long ago. My heart just goes out to those people who had family members killed, or are survivors themselves. I cannot imagine the horror of life at that time in history - but it still continues to this day...
I know what you mean. I'm 39. My dad was born in 1919, and my mom in 1938. I have/ had 2 half-siblings (one still living) both born in the early 1940's.
I've often felt completely out of my generation.
My family is from Schuylkill county Pa. My grandfather and my great grandfather were both blacksmiths. My dad and his siblings all worked in the coal mines as teens.
I grew up hearing the stories of the Molly Maguires, and tales of mining life from the 1800's and early 1900's from my dad's older siblings and reading letters that were saved. And of course, all the stories of the depression, and WW2 in which my dad served in the Navy.

Old 05-02-2012, 06:10 PM

14,545 posts, read 20,122,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CFoulke View Post
People didn't call me an 'old soul' until near adulthood, but I was always the 'serious' kid. I was an only child and spent a great deal of time with adults, and felt more comfortable with some of them than the ones my age. It took time for me to realize that I *got* the stories, and even indentified with them. Eventually I realized I 'drew' people that needed someone to listen and that I wanted to hear their stories as well.

I remember reading the biography of the adopted children of the Witmans, survivors of a wagon train disastor where the parents died and the teenage son led his seven brothers and sisters to Oregon, all walking. I could identify with them too. Eventually I figured out that I just understood the idea of survival and the day to day things it took. When I had my own situations, later on, I drew on this.

But I've always wanted simple. I like having the things I use, but don't much care about status. We never grew a garden as a kid, but the draw of a space thats yours and where you could shut out the world like my ancestors who settled in territoral land has always drawn me, and still does. The last move from socal to rural Oklahoma (though I live in a town) had even more strongly enforced it.

I think it is a clue that for me, simple and small and calm is what makes me at peace, and while I know life would be so much less comfortable in the pioneer days, and there is all the stuff that didn't exist, I wouldn't know about those things so I wouldn't miss them. But I do think inside I was wired to be a pioneer in the late 1700's to the middle of the 1800's.

When I find a book which talks about life then, from their point of view (the Little house on the prarie books convey it beautifly) I do feel as if I'm there.

I love science fiction and yet I like best the stuff where the advanced civilization had fallen and they picked up the pieces and go on. My own alternate histories are usually the first generation after its all suddenly gone and what comes of them. I don't know why but sometimes I don't think there is enough challenge in my life.

Old 05-02-2012, 06:14 PM

13,643 posts, read 37,014,510 times
Horse & Buggy days for me LOL

My son wants to be on another planet LOL

Old 05-02-2012, 06:30 PM

31,367 posts, read 35,392,384 times
Being an optimist, I definitely believe that I was born in the wrong era. I would prefer to think that sometime in the next millenium humans will have figured out how to life in harmony with their environment and more importantly, with each other.

Old 05-03-2012, 06:24 AM

12,239 posts, read 12,610,020 times
Great question -- good fodder for interesting conversation. There is no one period I identify with more than now, but there are plenty I like to slip into mentally from time to time. I think if I absolutely had to live in another time period, it would be the future. The past may be a large cavern with only the slightest of candles to illuminate it, but the future is pitch blackness. My curiousity would get the better of me, and I'd fast forward ... 100 years, 200... perhaps 3,000 years or more. Even if what I found was bleak, I don't think I'd regret the decision. Inquiring minds want to know.

Old 05-03-2012, 07:57 AM

28,899 posts, read 51,506,814 times
Yes. Every time I merge onto an interstate, I ask myself the question: "Where the hell is my flying car?"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History