U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Unread 06-11-2012, 01:08 PM

15,823 posts, read 26,571,984 times
Have not seen one in ages. Many people did not like them near their homes, because teens would hang out by them all day and cause trouble. Why teens hang out around a pay phone I have no idea.

They just re-opened the chop house in Detroit. They restored much of the old resturuant including the pay phone booths. Reportedly their is often a line of people waiting to try them out. People call a friend and say "guess where I am calling you from?" Just like we did when we got our first cell phone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 06-11-2012, 02:13 PM

3,174 posts, read 2,256,101 times
I am surprised that pay phones really exist anymore. Unless you are in the middle of nowhere, a cell phone/sat phone works fine. And the formats of information/voice transmission through protocols such as GSM, CDMA, and all the others can be handled by any decent cell phone.

Not to digress too badly (as I tend to do),
(and these no longer work due to the current digital technology, and this will indicate how old I am), but we built a red box when we were young adults, for pay phones. Never got to the blue or black boxes. I got in a h*ll of a lot of trouble with my dad, who worked for Bell Labs, when he found out. But hey, when a company publishes how it all works, what do you expect?

Back to our regulary scheduled thread.

Unread 06-11-2012, 02:24 PM

19,445 posts, read 9,779,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Reportedly their is often a line of people waiting to try them out. People call a friend and say "guess where I am calling you from?" Just like we did when we got our first cell phone.
That's kind of fun.

The first hands-free speaker phone I ever saw was at Disneyland in the 60's. There was a display in Tomorrowland. The first push button phone I ever saw was at Anaheim Stadium. We were there on opening day and seeing those banks of push button phones caused everyone to call someone they knew and say, "No dial! Just buttons!" I think we called our house because it wasn't long distance and we'd get our dime back. 1966.

Unread 06-12-2012, 05:06 AM

3,174 posts, read 2,256,101 times
What annoys me is that the candlestick phones (with the oak crank box) no longer work, (no more 'number please') so mine is now just collecting dust on a shelf. As I normally digress, my grandmother had a phone number '9', and anyone could listen in, as it was a party line. You knew when to pick up by the number of rings. Sort of different from what I used to design, where the system could send every telephone conversation in the US on a single optical fiber at once, over 4000 kilometers. Times have changed. The only thing I would do with a pay phone is to buy one to hang on the wall in the game room. JMHO.

Unread 06-12-2012, 09:51 AM

24,694 posts, read 15,396,441 times
Nothing, really. If I've forgotten my mobile sometimes it's easier just to borrow someone else's phone than to look for a payphone.

Unread 06-12-2012, 04:38 PM

3,329 posts, read 2,288,109 times
As a person that does not own a cell phone and has no intention of ever getting one, neither do I miss the vanishing payphone. If ever really in need of one, things might get a little sticky, since the problem would be finding one. Always carry a bit change, so that would be a non issue. Have searched my memory, and cannot recall the last time used a payphone or for what purpose, too long ago. When I go out the door I disconnect, this is a deliberate choice, partly as a backlash against what I sarcastically refer to as electronic leashes that seem to control all persons other than myself.

Unread 06-13-2012, 09:00 PM

39,532 posts, read 39,195,865 times
We still have them ;almost every convenience store has them outside.Even have free 911 calls.Not owned by AT&T any more tho. In really bad areas they say they have removed them tho ebcause of vandals and thefts.

Unread 06-14-2012, 03:16 PM

1,533 posts, read 1,205,647 times
Not something I personally miss, but:
Whenever I see movies from the 60s to the 80s where the bad guys/ shadowy government agencies have got the good guy on the run, and then the good guy comes up with a plan which involves making an anonymous call through a pay phone, I think, what would he do today?

He can't use his cell phone to call without being traced in seconds.

Plus its nice to have pay phones for emergencies when the cell phone battery runs out...

Unread 06-18-2012, 05:05 PM

10,204 posts, read 7,886,499 times
Last week, I left my cell phone at home and needed to use a pay phone. That's when I realized that they are very scarce around here but I eventually found one near a convenience store. Then I realized that someone had cut the cords or something and it was dysfunctional. The folks inside of the convenience store were very nice and let me use the one in the store God bless,

Unread 06-18-2012, 05:07 PM

14,099 posts, read 12,418,953 times
Was recently at the funeral for my father-in-law. The funeral home still has a phone booth with a seat and a light that turns on when the door is fully closed. The phone is now a free touch tone phone. It seems reasonable for a funeral home to offer phone booths even if they don't have a phone inside in this day of cell phones. A phone booth is where calls should be made or taken when at a funeral home. We were very upset to hear someone's phone ringing during the church service in the chapel.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History