Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2012, 11:45 PM

97 posts, read 180,269 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzybint View Post
didnt they wash clothes in urine.. oh my god.. Id rather have stayed dirty..
don't worry that was only the first step. The next step was to rinse out the urine and yes that method of cleaning was recorded in the Greek and Roman times.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2012, 10:59 PM

12,003 posts, read 11,894,188 times
At least the Victorians (and perhaps earlier folk) had bowls and pitchers in their bedrooms, which lessened the need for those 40+ buckets of water required to fill scarce bathtubs.

My grandmother's one-bathroom house (which had also been the home of my g-grandparents) retained bowls and pitchers in three of the five bedrooms. At Christmas, when my aunts, uncles, cousins and my own immediate family filled the old house (one family per bedroom; grandchildren on rollaways and cots), the antique bowls and pitchers saw a revival of their original use for shaving and sponge baths. There was also a deep sink (but no other bathroom facilities) with hot and cold water in the second floor hallway, used for nighttime requests for drinking water by the grandchildren, filling the pitchers, toothbrushing, and usually an uncle or father shaving. "Slop jars" were used to transport the dirty water back to the sink for disposal. Occasionally the slop jars came in for other nighttime use.

Given our numbers - up to thirteen people, eleven of them in the three upstairs bathrooms - the bowls and pitchers were very functional and real time-savers. The bedrooms were usually considerably warmer than the one faraway downstairs drafty full bathroom, too. I expect the Victorians had similar appreciation for their bowls and pitchers.

Old 08-22-2012, 04:30 PM

12,003 posts, read 11,894,188 times
I should have made clear that the above post describes Christmases in the 1950s through the early 1970s. Old ways still worked perfectly well for us, though perhaps a little more time-consuming and less convenient.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History