U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 07-23-2012, 02:13 PM

24,450 posts, read 25,374,921 times
Default Trivia. When was last major land battle of War of 1812 fought?

It wasn't in New Orleans. It was in what was to become Alabama:

War of 1812's last battle fought at Fort Bowyer in what became Alabama | al.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2012, 02:45 PM

10,705 posts, read 6,389,159 times
Good find....I've read several histories of the war and do not recall Fort Bower mentioned in any of them.

Old 07-23-2012, 03:36 PM

24,450 posts, read 25,374,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
Good find....I've read several histories of the war and do not recall Fort Bower mentioned in any of them.
Yeah, that article surprised me, too. I guess the classification of 'major' is somewhat in question. But American histories of the conflict don't seem to want it to end with an American surrender.

Old 07-24-2012, 07:36 AM

13,569 posts, read 15,669,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
Fort Bowyer, if mentioned at all, is usually just a footnote in the overall New Orleans campaign. The original British plan was to take Mobile in order to cut off New Orleans trade. They were then going to move inland to Natchez and cut New Orleans off from the north, isolating the garrison. Fort Bowyer was the only thing that stood in the way. The British first attacked it with a small party in September 1814. The attack consisted of a small detachment of Royal Marines supported by some Spanish locals and Indians. The land force only had one howitzer and they were supported by a few sloops of the Royal Navy. The Americans only had around 120 men, but they held the fort and managed to sink one of the British ships when it ran aground.

Do to the failure at Fort Bowyer the British decided instead to make a direct assault on New Orleans. In the meantime Jackson reinforced Fort Bowyer bringing the garrison to around 370 men and greatly expanded the artillery there. After the British attacked New Orleans and were defeated, they regrouped and again planned an assault on Fort Bowyer based on their original plan.

This time the landing force was much more significant and supported by a much larger flotilla, including a 74-gun 3rd rate ship-of-the-line. The fort's weakness was its landward defenses and the British exploited this and forced the surrender. The American forces in the area then regrouped in Mobile to begin preparing for the eventual British attack there. Two days after the fort fell a British ship arrived in Mobile Bay carrying news of the treaty, so no further action was taken.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Yeah, that article surprised me, too. I guess the classification of 'major' is somewhat in question. But American histories of the conflict don't seem to want it to end with an American surrender.
Pretty much, lol. The actions were part of the New Orleans campaign and the battles at Fort Bowyer were rather insignificant overall. Though, the first battle was important, at least in terms of it being the reason the Battle of New Orleans happened at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History