Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2012, 09:20 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,687,668 times

Advertisements

On the topic of Atlanta, who can forget Muhammad Ali lighting the flame...

I also thought the "flame tower" looked a lot like a McDonald's french fry box:

The irony with Strug's vault is that unlike Fujimoto, Strug did NOT have to do it to win the gold medal. The US would have ended up winning even if she had not vaulted. Her vault meant that mathemitcally it became impossible for the Russians to win, but it was an extremely remote possibility they would have anyway. Of course, it was nice to seal the deal and Strug did have a personal reason to do it. The "All-Around" only take the top three of each team. Strug was behind Moceanu in points but when Moceanu messed up her vault, it gave Strug the chance to beat her out for the third spot, something Strug had lost out on in 1992. Also, if she skipped the vault, she would have been barred from the individual vault finals. Her performance has become a little mythological. She didn't need to do it for the US to win and while she was questioning doing it in between her vaults, the opportunity for personal achievement most likely influenced her a bit.

We also need to mention Phelps, who became the winningest athlete ever in a single games with 8 gold medals in 2008:

We also can't forget the first modern Olympics in 1896 in Athens. At the time the winners were each given a silver medal, diploma and olive branch while the second place finishers received a copper medal, diploma and laurel branch. The IOC has since updated the standings to reflect the current gold, silver, bronze standings. The country with the most silver (gold) medals at those first modern games...the United States. The country with the most medals overall, Greece.

The Olympic Hymn/Anthem, which we all get sick of hearing constantly was composed for the 1896 games by Greek composer Spyridon Samaras. The Greek poet Kostis Palamas provided the words:

Quote:
O Ancient immortal Spirit, pure father
Of beauty, of greatness and of truth,
Descend, reveal yourself and flash like lightning here,
within the glory of your own earth and sky.

At running and at wrestling and at throwing,
Shine in the momentum of noble contests,
And crown with the unfading branch
And make the body worthy and ironlike. (twice)

Plains, mountains and seas glow with you
Like a white-and-purple great temple,
And hurries at the temple here, your pilgrim, (twice)
O Ancient immortal Spirit, every nation. (twice)
I also always have a soft spot for the countries who send a lone athlete to compete. Like Itte Detenamo from Nauru. I can't imagine what it must have been like for him to walk into the stadium in Beijing by himself carrying his nations flag surrounded by the other massive delegations other countries send.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2012, 09:32 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,172,734 times
We can't mention 1972?

Piffle on that. I'm going to defy the ban:

Two of my favorite Olympic athletes both won Gold medals in Munich. Both competed for the Soviet Union. Valeriy Borzov (sprinter) and Ludmilla Tourischeva (gymnast). Borzov was know for the style and fluidity of his running. Ludmilla was known for the serenity she radiated while competing and her killer attitude. An unusual combination which spoke to the heart she has as an athlete. Both incredible athletes and individuals. They later married.

Last edited by DewDropInn; 07-24-2012 at 09:41 AM..

Old 07-24-2012, 02:05 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,045,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
We can't mention 1972?
There isn't a PROHIBITION on commenting about the '36 or '72 Olympics just a warning that your post won't be considered (at least by me) as demonstrating over the top history acumen unless you come up with some aspect of either that hasn't been rehashed to death.

So go for it.

Old 07-24-2012, 02:30 PM

102,217 posts, read 107,859,557 times
Stockholm, 1912. Jim Thorpe, first Native American to win gold in the Olympics. 2 Gold medals for running.
1964 Tokyo Olympics, Billy Mills, 2nd Native American to win gold, first American ever to win gold for the 10,000 meter run.

Old 07-24-2012, 06:51 PM

26,786 posts, read 22,545,020 times
This.

Vyacheslav Nikolayevich Ivanov (Russian: Вячеслав Николаевич Иванов) (born July 30, 1938, Moscow) is known to most of the non-Russian speaking world as Vyacheslav Ivanov, was one of the most accomplished rowers of his generation. He rowed for the Soviet Union, and he won the Olympic Gold medals in the single scull at 1956 Melbourne Games, 1960 Rome Games and 1964 Tokyo Games.

Vyacheslav Nikolayevich Ivanov - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I happened to meet the guy and I knew from my mother that he was some "Olympic champion" but I didn't have a clue about all that.
( He was very modest, down to earth person.)

PS. And I still have no idea what "scull" is...

Old 07-25-2012, 07:33 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,687,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
This is sculling:

The word scull is what the type of oars/paddles are called. Sculling is a single person using "sculls" to propel a small boat. It's basically just a form of rowing.

Old 07-25-2012, 07:39 AM

48,564 posts, read 24,119,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
I know that one....

Old 07-25-2012, 07:51 AM

48,564 posts, read 24,119,848 times
Anyone remember the first Woman's Marathon in 1984? You would be hard pressed to find someone who could identify the winner, but anyone who watched recalls Swiss runner Gabrielle Andersen who finished 37th....but she did finish, needing more than five minutes to complete the finishing lap inside the stadium..

Romtelecom - Gabriela Andersen - ******* - YouTube

Old 07-25-2012, 12:47 PM

1,145 posts, read 1,012,265 times
Emil Zatopek 1952 winning 5000 m, 10000 m and the marathon

Emil Zátopek - 1952 Olympics - YouTube

Old 07-25-2012, 12:59 PM

1,145 posts, read 1,012,265 times
Abebe Bikila Marathon 1960

A Barefoot Ethiopian Conquers Rome - YouTube

Abebe Bikila wins marathon in 1960 Rome Olympics... barefoot. - YouTube
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History