Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2012, 08:47 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,943,866 times

Advertisements

I am hoping there is someone on here who can answer my questions about the Bolsheviks before, during, and after the October Revolution.What were their numbers right before they started their revolution?What kind of people did they have? Were they mostly just factory workers and farmers? I find it hard to believe they able to defeat a professional army like the Tsar's, which I believe was the largest at the time.After their victory, how long did it take them to build up an industrial base capable to taking on the Germans?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2012, 12:26 PM

26,786 posts, read 22,545,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
I am hoping there is someone on here who can answer my questions about the Bolsheviks before, during, and after the October Revolution.What were their numbers right before they started their revolution?What kind of people did they have? Were they mostly just factory workers and farmers?
Oh boy, there are no "short cuts," or quick answers to these questions, when you are talking about such old and complex European nation like Russians.
I can tell you in two words that Communism in Russia was not "masterminded" by peasants and workers, but that would be only half-true. Then I'd tell you that it was a creation of Russian intelligentsia, but you probably wouldn't be even familiar with such terminology.
Why don't you read something like N. Berdyaev's "The origin of Russian communism"; it's a good read and here is at least the explanation regarding what Russian intelligentsia was - a class behind revolution back in those time ( which might or might not accurately reflect the definition of this class in later times.)

"To understand the sources of Russian communism and make clear to oneself the
character of the Russian revolution, one must understand that singular phenomenon
which in Russia is called 'intelligentsia'. Western people would make a mistake if they
identified the Russian intelligentsia with those who in the West are known as
'intellectuals'.
'Intellectuals' are people of intellectual work and creativeness, mainly learned people,
writers, artists, professors, teachers and so on. The Russian intelligentsia is an entirely
different group; and to it may belong people occupied in no intellectual work, and
generally speaking not particularly intellectual. Many Russian scholars and writers
certainly could not be reckoned as belonging to the intelligentsia in the strict sense of the
word. The intelligentsia reminds one more of a monastic order or sect, with its own very
intolerant ethics, its own obligatory outlook on life, with its own manners and customs
and even its own particular physical appearance, by which it is always possible to
recognize a member of the intelligentsia and to distinguish him from other social groups.
Our intelligentsia were a group formed out of various social classes and held together by
ideas, not by sharing a common profession or economic status. They were derived to
begin with mainly from the more cultured section of the nobility, later from the sons of
the clergy, small government officials, the lower middle class, and, after the liberation,
from the peasants. That then is the intelligentsia; its members were of different social
classes, and held together solely by ideas, and, moreover, by ideas about sociology. In the second half of the nineteenth century the stratum of society which is
simply called cultured is developed into a new type and is given the name 'intelligentsia'.
This type has its characteristic traits which belong to all its present representatives."

http://www.jesus-for-all.com/fikr/pdf_3189.pdf

PS. N. Berdyaev was a Russian philosopher who lived back in those days, and who was later expelled from the country along with a "group of some 160 prominent writers, scholars, and intellectuals whose ideas the Bolshevik government found objectionable"

Nikolai Berdyaev - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 07-29-2012, 05:25 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,045,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
Oh boy, there are no "short cuts," or quick answers to these questions, when you are talking about such old and complex European nation like Russians.
I think that it would be easier to write about Russian history than the complexity of trying to write even a modestly detailed history of a. the Communist International, the history of Marxist theory in pre-revolutionary Russia, the history of the Russian Social Democratic Labor Party and the rise of the Bolshevick faction within that Party, and the upheavals and key figures of 1905, much less all the assorted players and factions involved in the events leading up to the actual October 1917 Revolution.

Just thinking about where to start has me breaking into a sweat.

PS - I would think that you have to start with John Reed's "Ten Days that Shook the World".

Old 07-31-2012, 06:15 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,943,866 times
Well right before the start of their revolution, were their ranks swelled with experienced and disgruntled military veterans?

Old 07-31-2012, 07:10 PM

1,767 posts, read 2,348,400 times

The complete truth about the satanic antichrist bolsheviks is not PC enough to post here.

The roots of revolution began in the 19th century and with an exodus to America.

Before that, in 1857, a speech [sermon] was given to US congressmen at the Capitol advocating the USA
foster war and revolution to destroy all the monarchies of Europe, especially the Russian monarchy, and
change those nations to democracies [did you think US democratic nation-building was a new thing ?]

The Feb 1917 revolution that deposed God's Tsar was democratic [a revolution supported by Americans and bolsheviks.]

The bolshevik revolution followed later the same year.

Last edited by king's highway; 07-31-2012 at 07:24 PM..

Old 07-31-2012, 07:53 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,045,063 times
Quote:
Well right before the start of their revolution, were their ranks swelled with experienced and disgruntled military veterans?
Not to mention the sailors of the Baltic fleet.

Old 07-31-2012, 09:41 PM

Quote:
BEFORE the start of revolution?
No, not really, and new Bolshevik's government wasn't even recognized outside of St. Petersburg, ( former Russian capital, where they came to power,) which in turn led to the bloody civil war, during which part of the tzarist Army ( dubbed as "White Army") joined the Red Army ( headed by Bolsheviks), particularly soldiers who deserted the front during the WWI. Not too many Tsarist officers joined the Red Army, although some did; ( Tukhachevsky comes to mind, who played key role there and Budyonny) but a lot of them left the country after the defeat or were killed by the Bolsheviks.
Mikhail Tukhachevsky - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Semyon_Budyonny

You might read as well about the Russian civil war in order to better understand the situation in the country after the war.

Russian Civil War - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 08-06-2012, 02:03 AM

472 posts, read 925,307 times
Quote:
I am hoping there is someone on here who can answer my questions about the Bolsheviks before, during, and after the October Revolution.What were their numbers right before they started their revolution?What kind of people did they have? Were they mostly just factory workers and farmers? I find it hard to believe they able to defeat a professional army like the Tsar's, which I believe was the largest at the time.After their victory, how long did it take them to build up an industrial base capable to taking on the Germans?

Nitpick. It wasn't the Tsar's army any more. By Nov 1917, he'd been gone for eight months. The Army supported the Revolutiion, and by November had given up on the Provisional Government for its failure to get Russia out of the war. Iirc, its last Commander was lynched by his own troops.

Old 08-06-2012, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikestone8 View Post
Nitpick. It wasn't the Tsar's army any more. By Nov 1917, he'd been gone for eight months. The Army supported the Revolutiion, and by November had given up on the Provisional Government for its failure to get Russia out of the war. Iirc, its last Commander was lynched by his own troops.
Although it's true that Tzar abdicated from his throne, Provisional Government was really nothing and incapable of anything, so technically you can still refer to the Army as "Tzarist Army."
Don't recall about the "last Commander," but Kerensky, who was the head of Provisional Government has escaped from the country dressed in woman's clothing - that much I remember.

Old 08-13-2012, 01:04 AM

750 posts, read 907,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
Kerensky has escaped from the country dressed in woman's clothing.
Escaped from Winter Palace (government residency).
I will add - Bolsheviks weren't political party in habitual Western understanding, they can be compared to the sect trusting in Communism and its prophet - Lenin. In the conditions of Russia of 1917 when the tsar renounced the power and the Provisional government at all didn't supervise the country, Bolsheviks started and won war of ideologies: to the nations promised the sovereignty, to peasants promised the land, to worker - plants, to soldiers - the peace with Germany and return home from front. In the conditions of wildness and backwardness of the majority of the population, these slogans appeared more attractive, than slogans of the White Guard "Let's return an old regime!".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History