U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2012, 03:04 AM

14,095 posts, read 23,720,864 times

Advertisements

It seems they had help from neo-Nazis inside Germany. Police passed on info to German intelligence agency who did not act upon the information prior to the attack. The person was arrested later for illegal weapons charges. He's now a crime novel writer. German neo-Nazis helped Palestinian terrorists kill 11 Israeli athletes in 1972 Munich Massacre, intelligence files reveal | Mail Online

I still find it insulting to the memory of those murdered that 1. All Muslim nations demanded their flags to be raised from half mast at a memorial ceremony, 2. The ceremony would not actually mention the massacre nor those athletes killed, and even to this day the IOC will not do a public memorial for those killed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2012, 06:34 AM

5,686 posts, read 4,239,915 times
It's funny what you remember from times like that.. i was fairly young but do remember a lot of the news concerning the hostage situation and I vividly remember Jim McKay saying, "they're all gone". I don't think I understand what he meant at the time..

Old 08-06-2012, 06:43 AM

7,215 posts, read 7,928,762 times
At least Bob Costas was willing to do his own moment of silence at this year's Olympics, since the IOC refused to even on the 40th anniversary.

Old 08-06-2012, 03:43 PM

32,532 posts, read 30,730,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mco65 View Post
It's funny what you remember from times like that.. i was fairly young but do remember a lot of the news concerning the hostage situation and I vividly remember Jim McKay saying, "they're all gone". I don't think I understand what he meant at the time..
If I live to be 100 I don't think I'll ever forget hearing him say that. It was a stab to the heart.

I was in Munich just a few months later and saw both the Olympic Village and the Olympic Stadium. You could stand between the two and look at one, then turn and look at the other. It was a very sad, sobering experience. Especially seeing the balcony of the Israelis' rooms and knowing it was where the terrorists stood. Horrible.

Last edited by DewDropInn; 08-06-2012 at 04:03 PM..

Old 01-20-2013, 01:23 PM

32,167 posts, read 33,074,656 times
The 1972 Munich terrorist attack was a terrible event.

Old 01-21-2013, 07:21 AM

1,705 posts, read 3,177,883 times
I was 6, almost 7 when this tragedy took place, I was so horrified. Unfortunately, I DID know what was happening and why this happened to the athlete.

I grew up when it was the 'norm' to have explicit scenes live on TV and pictures of dead and wounded Soldiers in Vietnam on the front covers of magazine.

The opening ceremonies of the Olympics always make me cry; all those bright, physically 'perfect' young people from so many Countries proud and strong - then the memory of the Israeli athletes slaughtered as a political statement of hate and intolerance...so sad.

Old 01-21-2013, 11:42 AM

3,813 posts, read 3,664,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
The 1972 Munich terrorist attack was a terrible event.
Terrorist yes. Attack? Ok. More like murder. Premeditated murder. The world is lucky Israel didn't totally destroy Palestine in retribution and the world still puts Israel down. Unbelievable.

Old 01-21-2013, 12:43 PM

31,385 posts, read 32,149,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil306 View Post
Terrorist yes. Attack? Ok. More like murder. Premeditated murder. The world is lucky Israel didn't totally destroy Palestine in retribution and the world still puts Israel down. Unbelievable.
Actually it wasn't premeditated murder but the result one of the most botched anti-terrorist actions ever attempted. The result was the establishment of the first hostage rescue units in the world the Grenzschutzgruppe 9 otherwise known as GSG 9 which by the way, is part of the German Federal Police and not the military.

Old 01-21-2013, 01:14 PM

32,167 posts, read 33,074,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil306 View Post
Palestine didn't exist then as a country and doesn't exist now as independent country so how could Israel destroy it? The Munich attack was a terrorist attack and also a premeditated murder which horrified the world at that time.

Old 01-21-2013, 03:51 PM

3,813 posts, read 3,664,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Actually it wasn't premeditated murder but the result one of the most botched anti-terrorist actions ever attempted. The result was the establishment of the first hostage rescue units in the world the Grenzschutzgruppe 9 otherwise known as GSG 9 which by the way, is part of the German Federal Police and not the military.
Yes, I know who the GSG9 are. In fact, I've trained with, and trained many of them. However, they are not the first Hostage Rescue Teams. The first was the British SAS. Yet, you are correct. It was a very much botched mission.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History