Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2013, 04:17 PM

580 posts, read 965,078 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Oh, it will last quite a long time as a political entity. However, that does not mean that it will necessarily exist in its current form.

To me, it's pretty obvious that we're moving from a Republic to an Imperium, and nobody is really paying attention to the transition. Kind of a permanent investiture of power in the hands of our commander-in-chief because of the exigencies of real and imagined threats, foreign and domestic. Mind you, I am not singling out the current administration, for we have watched the Executive Branch slowly strip power from Congress for decades without so much as a whimper of protest from the people. Quite frankly, I think Congress has been glad to be relieved of the burden of actually governing. As a result, the executive order now pretty much has the force of law. We now have warrantless wiretaps. We hold combatants in a kind of limbo between the strictures of the Geneva Convention and the mandates of the justice system. The Justice Department recently arrogated to itself the right to read any and all e-mails without a warrant, as if it were a quaint relic of our legal past. A quasi-government entity, the Federal Reserve, determines the amount and value of our currency, without Congress even having so much as the power to audit the books. Assassination by means of drones has become a de facto tool of foreign policy overseas, even against American citizens. We can invade and occupy countries without an explicit declaration of war. And, if we really were diligent about matters the list of encroachments upon our constitutional rights would take up an entire forum.

Yet nobody really protests this continuing empowerment of the Executive branch for it is always done for what are supposedly prudent reasons. Nobody really protested the draconian laws against drug possession passed in the 1980s even though they violated the Bill of Rights when it came to seizure of property without due process. Why? Because nobody wants to see his own children on drugs. Today, we have warrantless wiretaps and the government's belief it can have unrestricted access to e-mail. Why? Because no one wants to see Manhattan enveloped in a mushroom cloud.

The last true showdown between the two chief branches of government was Watergate. But the Congress only prevailed at the time because nobody trusted Nixon, and his transgressions were outrageous for the time. Today, they would barely merit an item in the back pages of the paper, for dirty politics is just how the game is played. Oddly, despite its combative nature on talk shows, today's press is really a toothless watchdog. I mean, all you had to do is watch the softballs that 60 Minutes served up to the President and the Secretary of State the other weekend. The only real investigative reporting left today is really concerned with the misdeeds of celebrities because nothing about Washington really surprises anyone anymore. If you agree with Mencken's dictum that the purpose of journalism is to afflict the comfortable, and if the misdeeds of the government have completely lost the power to shock, what does that say about us as a nation?

So we'll probably wind up as an Imperium with a vestigial legislative branch, unchallengeable by any foreign foe for the anticipated future -- Not China, certainly not Europe, not Russia, not anyone. Nobody will call us an Empire, of course, because of the implications for the word gleaned from repeated viewings of Star Wars. We'll still pretend to have the trappings of democracy. But we are becoming a democracy in name only.
This sounds about right. Rome Started out as a republic. As it expanded its reach it soon consolidated its power and became an empire. From the look of things this is the cycle. It happened with France after The Revolution and may have happened in other instances that I'm not familiar with.

I'm waiting for a general to come, and through some kind of coup, declare himself emperor. From there I can see a number of possibilities. One possibility, is that it could split much like the whole Roman Empire where one half turns into a number of small kingdoms fighting for dominance and the other stays a single empire living on for another couple hundred years. Another possibility might be that it will just completely collapse into a bunch of warring states. A third possibility is that it doesn't collapse. It's borders stay the same and we could have a similar situation as France after Napoleon was deposed. The last possibility is, with technology changing and bringing everything and everyone closer together into some kind of collective singularity, it might join together with the rest of the world as one gigantic global state (something the conspiracy theorists worry about).

I think a person can speculate a lot about this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2013, 11:42 PM

8,390 posts, read 11,604,899 times
I think nations switch crowns back and forth like prom queens in high school. That said I think China is eyeing Americas crown and it looks feasible. IMO.
We will see, as others have said it depends if we can catch the caboose of change and progress into the world market. It's not looking good right now but we are known for our last minute free throws making the basket.

In the world of technology, advancement and mega math we lack at the moment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History