Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-16-2012, 06:59 PM

4,794 posts, read 12,370,711 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Like_Spam View Post
Au contraire. The Blaine campaign mocked Cleveland for his illegitimate child during the entire 1884 campaign a lot.
I believe the slogan at the time was "ma, ma, where's my pa? Gone to the white house ha ha ha."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2012, 07:14 PM

4,794 posts, read 12,370,711 times
I don't know if this is the best way to judge, but just looking at how the country was when they came into office versus how it was when they left, I'd have to say Lyndon Johnson and George W Bush among recent presidents.
Between 1963 and 1969, the US spiraled out of control on so many fronts due to decisions made by Johnson. A quagmire in SE Asia and massive social unrest at home.
GW Bush entered office with a country at peace and the federal government running balanced budgets. He left with 2 mismanaged wars and a financial meltdown along with massive deficits.

Old 11-17-2012, 01:53 PM

16,880 posts, read 15,191,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevdawgg View Post
So I just started a thread of your favorite president, but who do you think is the worst?

For me it would be George W. Bush, the crook who screwed up this country.

Woodrow Wilson, the president that is the closest the USA ever had to a dictator.

Old 11-17-2012, 05:03 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,106,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
Woodrow Wilson, the president that is the closest the USA ever had to a dictator.
Wasn't that Andrew Jackson?

Old 11-17-2012, 06:00 PM

753 posts, read 727,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
The Glenn Beck University alumni association makes its voice heard...

Old 11-18-2012, 03:15 AM

16,880 posts, read 15,191,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mictlantecuhtli View Post
The Glenn Beck University alumni association makes its voice heard...

look it up, you will see i am correct.

Quote:
According to Goldberg, fascism in America predated the regimes of Mussolini and Hitler. He believes that Woodrow Wilson turned the United States into a “fascist country, albeit temporarily” during World War I. Americans in 1917 were reluctant to join the slaughter in Europe. Their nation hadn’t been attacked; there was no defining event — a Fort Sumter or Pearl Harbor — to rally public support. So Wilson formed the country’s first propaganda ministry, the Committee on Public Information, to teach people what they were up against. The devil became German militarism — the merciless Hun — and Americans were encouraged to lash out at those of German ancestry inside the United States. Vigilante groups arose to mete out justice and spy on fellow citizens. Congress passed draconian laws banning “abusive” and “disloyal” language against the government and its officials. The Post Office revoked the mailing privileges of hundreds of antiwar publications, effectively shutting them down. Rarely if ever in American history has dissent been so effectively stifled.

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/12/30/bo...shinsky-t.html

also, dont link me to that jerk glenn beck, i dont compare you to being in the hitler youth, so dont do the same to me.

Old 11-18-2012, 09:51 AM

3,477 posts, read 6,507,394 times
Dubbya.

Old 11-18-2012, 12:05 PM

37 posts, read 63,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
Fascinating. In two posts to me, you have yet to address the topic of this thread or comment on Buchanan as a candidate for "worst." Nothing but snide personal attacks ("Oh yeah? Who elected YOU gawd, huh?") from the get-go. You bombard people with insults and then get your bowels in an uproar when they respond.

My attitude was intended to provoke disagreement, not insults. "My belief is that you are what I think of as a" (a singularly infelicitous jumble of words, by the way) "personal confrontation" poster, less interested in the topic at hand than with intimidating and insulting others.

Go yap at someone else. Anything you address to me henceforth will be ignored.
I'd tend to agree here, atleast on the aspect of keeping along original thread intentions
Minus the homophobic mention(which personally do not see the big deal there)and if he was gay so be it

Old 11-19-2012, 11:35 AM

15,446 posts, read 21,341,511 times
Definitely FDR.

Old 11-19-2012, 02:36 PM

283 posts, read 508,103 times
George W Bush will go down in history as one of the, if not THE worst POTUS ever. In addition to getting us in a needless war in Iraq which cost 5000 American lives--in addition to a couple hundred thousand inoocent Iraqi civilian lives--his reckless, wannabe cowboy ways made the U.S. one of the most despised nations on the planet. And this, coming at a time when we should have garnered much sympathy after the 9/11 attacks.
Bush also approved alot of the de-regulation for the banks and lending insitutions which contributed significantly to the financial meltdown of 2008.
Bush made the world a far more dangerous place for Americans. The only demographic that prospered under his watch was the Big Corporations & the wealthy (of course).
Too, Bush created such a fervent protestation (rightfully so, mind you) to his ways that a totally unqualified man, Barack Obama, was elected as POTUS. Obama gained office simply as a protest vote; much the same way Carter did in 1976 after Nixon & Watergate. See? No Nixon: no Carter. Same deal here: No Bush, no Obama! Ergo, much of the damage that Obama has done--and will do--can in a way be put on W.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History