U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 10-24-2012, 01:45 PM

25,156 posts, read 27,058,349 times

Advertisements

Lots of brown colors.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2012, 02:43 PM

9,883 posts, read 5,442,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Lots of brown colors.
Hmmm...cpg35223 must be from the Southeast

The 1970's meant rainbow colors--at least in the Bay Area!

Old 10-24-2012, 03:11 PM

2,817 posts, read 1,381,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigg Mann View Post
Growing up in 70's was great. We lived on a 3000 acre ranch and went exploring every day. Would be gone for hours and when needed back home Dad would honk truck horn. We lived in a canyon so horn echoed.

Rode bicycles alot and soon came used motorcycles. If you broke it and cost to much to repair you did not get another one. So ours lasted for yrs. Total of 5 dirt bikes, 1 Goldwing and 2 Yamaha snowmobiles.

Parents would take up to 2 weeks on motorcycle trips all over country and us kids, ages 8yrs to 16, 4 of us, were left alone the whole time. Unheard of today.

One time late at night we heard a roar of engines coming down driveway,( 1 mile long) and we came out on porch with shotgun in hand and ended up a bunch of neighbors coming to see if we were okay. They were not worried after that.

My nieces and nephews don't have many memories like we did cause they always played video games. I like my memories better and would not trade for anything to grow up different.
No 3000 acre ranches in Rhode Island, but I would be gone all day, "Ma, goin' out to play",
and dissapear all day, we had fireworks "battles", built forts, rode our minibikes for hours,
got my XR 75 at age ten, would be gone for miles in the woods, riding, even on the back
roads, without a thought from our parents... kids were A LOT less supervised, we weren't
even supervised at all. We ran in packs across the countryside and in neighborhoods,
it was exciting. Nowadays, everyone is so "connected", it's suffocating !

Old 10-24-2012, 04:45 PM

1,297 posts, read 2,560,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by picklejuice View Post
Hmmm...cpg35223 must be from the Southeast

The 1970's meant rainbow colors--at least in the Bay Area!
Or from Nebraska, it has been brown all year from our extreme drought conditions. Trees have a lot of gold and orange leaves now.

Old 10-27-2012, 11:08 PM

10,692 posts, read 5,886,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrsygrl51 View Post
Blue laws were also prevelant in NJ...no clothes shopping on Sunday.....
Blue laws are still observed in Bergen County, NJ. I think it's more for the traffic than religious reasons. Still silly nonetheless, IMO.

Old 10-27-2012, 11:17 PM

7,290 posts, read 5,213,828 times
In the early 70's, I worked in a hospital and we smoked like fiends in the office, which had a open door, with visitors streaming by. I also smoked after giving birth in the hospital (not proud of that, but that was the culture).

The food was not as good, because there was not as much consciousness around what constituted good food . . . dining out was a rare treat (middle class).

There was a general lack of consciousness, compared to the Sixties . . . the tide had changed and you could feel it.

The Eighties were very weird - I found the clothes to be more stylish (the Seventies had some garish, ugly polyesther horrors). The Eighties was a much more materialistic time - women were wearing serious pants suits to work (hideous) . . . there was a lot of focus on work and corporations - art took a back seat, for sure. The Eighties were bland, in retrospect and Stepford-wife-ish for many women.

I assume you have studied pictures to get the general gist of the decades in question?

Old 10-31-2012, 02:04 PM

108 posts, read 50,115 times
Times was simpler,less people,more country,less shopping centers,more trees,more dunes,more nature.Phones was at home or in a phone booth.Johnny Cash and Waylon Jennings was alive.Civil rights was still bad.Alot more racisism was going on.Alot more moonshine and pot was cheaper.

Old 11-02-2012, 05:17 PM

257 posts, read 136,610 times
Random thoughts about the mid-late '70's early '80's:

I graduated from high school in 1980. There was a special section for students who smoked. Smoking was everywhere - my mother smoked and I would be forced to sit in the car with her puffing away. People smoked on airplanes - which was amazing to me - here you are in a confined tube 30,000 ft high hurling through the air on top of tons of flammable jet fuel. And that the rows in the back were designated the "smoking section". How are the rows in front of the smoking section any better???? It was such a widely accepted thing - elevators, offices, restaurants etc. that today it is shocking to look back and see.

Colors were drab - we had the Harvest Gold appliances - which seemed so modern compared to the white that everyone had. Our Buick was even Harvest Gold. In the early 80's we got a brown Oldsmobile six-seater gas guzzler. Still didn't have FM radio in it though.

My mother was a single parent and I was an only child - very unusual for the day. She was never home so I spent most of my time at my friends' houses They all had traditional families with a father who worked (most blue collar jobs), a mother who stayed home, and siblings. I always felt different. I guess I was ahead of my time...

The worst things kids got reprimanded in school for was chewing gum or talking during class. If there was a rare fight - it was a fist fight - no one would ever dream of using a weapon or bringing a gun to school.

We kind of worried about this place on the other side of the world called the Soviet Union. I used to see signs on buildings for fallout shelters but though that was a long long time ago and we have nothing to worry about now. As kids - we didn't think all that much about the rest of the world with a few exceptions - Vietnam was all over the news when I was young and didn't understand what it was about. China and India were poor countries with a lot of people suffering. The Middle East was always in turmoil "over there" but it really hit home with the Iranian hostage crisis - it went on our whole senior year and we made signs and protested and were filmed by the news. There was a limit to the information we got about places outside of the US.

No one I knew was out of work. College was seen as a way to guarantee a good life. I went in 1980. Women were just starting to advance in the career world and women could major in anything in college. Not so where just 10 years earlier - women who dared even to go to college were steered towards nursing, teaching or secretarial jobs and the degrees that supported them.

I will always remember when Star Wars came out in 1977. It was revolutionary. There were lines for miles to get in to see it and people saw it multiple times. The story and special effects were like nothing else out there before. I think it paved the way for the modern movie era and special effects blockbusters.

Cable TV also came around in the late 70's and now instead of 5 channels - you had 30 or more. You could watch TV at all hours for the first time. Later on came MTV and music videos (when they actually played them) and this was also revolutionary for someone in my age group (late teens/early 20's).

My first co-op job in college was in the marketing department of a company and they had this new thing called an IBM PC. This was around 1983 or so. It used DOS and had no hard drive - we used floppy disks. How primitive! I learned a program called Lotus 1-2-3 and was proud of the fact that I became PC-skilled so early on - which helped me get jobs right out of college.

People actually talked to each other. You would just hang out with your friends and talk and it was fun. You made your own entertainment most of the time. You helped the family out - you were here for their needs - your needs were secondary. Children were not catered to the way they are today. There was still respect for your elders.

I hated most of the music of the 70's. There was much less variety than there is today. I was bored with the same old classic rock songs and bands being played over and over. Disco was unbearable to me as was the easy listening crap for people my mother's age. When New Wave came in around 1977 - I felt like I finally had something to listen to. It really defined me for the next 8 years or so.

Clothing and hairstyles were awful and wierd, especially 70's clothes. I used to spend hours trying to blow dry my naturally curly hair straight with wings. In college I went punk and cut it all off. It was very freeing plus it was the style.

There was not this great ideological divide to the point of wrath and hatred that there is today. There were few extremes. Most people seemed to fall somewhere in the middle politically.

There was also much more privacy in life. Everyone didn't know what you were doing or where you were 24/7, nor did you discuss personal things in great detail with everyone else. Now there is information 24/7 about almost everywhere and every thing. It is overwhelming.

There was a hope for the future that I last saw in the '90's - that the future is full of exciting new discoveries and that life will be even better and happier. HA! Some of my happiest times were in the late 80's and 90's.

While I'm not happy about turning 50 next year - I am glad that I grew up during the times that I did. It was a much simpler innocent and carefree time with hope for the future and I got to witness the start of many of the things we take for granted today (the internet, computers, cell phones, women having "almost" the same opportunities as men). I would hate to be a kid growing up today. The world today must be a much scarier place for young people.

Old 11-03-2012, 04:00 PM

14,141 posts, read 16,300,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wall st kid View Post
I remember being a kid in the 70s and a young adult in the 80s and it was a time where you just felt safe. We werent always locking our doors, our 'block' of children never had any 'fears' of being abducted, we didnt have fears of our country being bombed or attacked .
Which is kind of funny because kids are no more likely to be abducted now than then and there were plenty of Soviet missiles pointed at us. The main difference is there was no cable news that had to fill up 24 hours of the day with every crime or tragedy they could dig up. TV news was an hour or two of local stories followed by 30 minutes or an hour of national.

Old 11-06-2012, 02:38 PM

7,525 posts, read 8,159,949 times
(Delete)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History