Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2012, 09:12 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,923,279 times

Advertisements

He won the President's Race only because the groundskeepers tackled the other three presidents.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2012, 03:03 PM

331 posts, read 381,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
He won the President's Race only because the groundskeepers tackled the other three presidents.
LOL. I presume you're referring to the mascots who race at the Washington Nationals games?

Do you guys feel that, for all his accomplishments, Teddy's legacy still pales in comparison to that of Frankin Roosevelt?

Old 10-14-2012, 04:24 PM

15,145 posts, read 14,324,147 times
The first president to ride in a car was Theodore Roosevelt in Hartford, Connecticut, in 1902. Theodore Roosevelt was probably the first president to 'own' a car, also.
TR kept a rough riders uniform in his closet, maintained by tailors, so he could trot it out for cameras when necessary and refused to let himself be photographed in tennis gear (though he loved to play tennis) out of concern the image would not be “manly” enough.
History News Network

Old 10-15-2012, 07:58 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,665,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocksy23 View Post
Do you guys feel that, for all his accomplishments, Teddy's legacy still pales in comparison to that of Frankin Roosevelt?
I think it's very hard for most any President to live up to the legacy of FDR as a four term President who led the nation through some its greatest trials. Whether you agree with the efficacy of the mans policies or not and like him or not, there is no denying his place in the pantheon of our greatest presidents with a legacy that is hard to match simply because of the length of time and two major events he guided the nation through.

Old 10-15-2012, 02:52 PM

7,974 posts, read 7,346,115 times
I like what he said when asked if he could not control his rebellious daughter Alice: "I can be President of The United States or I can control Alice. I cannot possibly do both."

That family of his deserves a thread of their own!

Old 10-15-2012, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by soupson1 View Post
The first president to ride in a car was Theodore Roosevelt in Hartford, Connecticut, in 1902. Theodore Roosevelt was probably the first president to 'own' a car, also.
TR kept a rough riders uniform in his closet, maintained by tailors, so he could trot it out for cameras when necessary and refused to let himself be photographed in tennis gear (though he loved to play tennis) out of concern the image would not be “manly” enough.
History News Network
Interesting. I didn't know Teddy loved playing tennis.

Old 10-21-2012, 04:07 PM

1,381 posts, read 1,772,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
I think it's very hard for most any President to live up to the legacy of FDR as a four term President who led the nation through some its greatest trials. Whether you agree with the efficacy of the mans policies or not and like him or not, there is no denying his place in the pantheon of our greatest presidents with a legacy that is hard to match simply because of the length of time and two major events he guided the nation through.
I agree with this. FDR guided the U.S. through the most trying period our nation has had to endure. It's hard to believe he was elected to an unprecedented fourth term.

Old 12-10-2012, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
I recently saw a documentary on FDR. It turns out that FDR's idol was none other than his esteemed cousin Teddy. Like Theodore, Franklin D. Roosevelt served as Assistant Secretary of the Navy and Governor of New York. In addition, both men dropped out of Columbia Law School.

Old 12-11-2012, 12:12 PM

3,320 posts, read 4,126,894 times
It's a shame Teddy had to make his vow not to run for a third term. His conduct with Taft was very disgusting and unpresidential, and running against Taft in 1916 was a knife in the back of the rebublican party, as it allowed Wilson to win. That said, not many presidents deserved more than two terms, but Teddy did so many good things, I think he deserved a third term much more than FDR. In fact, FDR spoiled it for future presidents that deserved more than two terms with his unprecedented 4 terms. This resulted in the law being changed to two terms max, and froze out the only other 20th century president that might have been better for the country to have him in there for a third term, Dwight Eisenhower.

FDR was a great president, but I think someone else could have done just as good for us in WW2, if not better, because we needed a strong president at the end of the war to negotiate at the Yalta conference and intead we had this weak old man that was in no shape to carry out his duties as president.

Old 12-11-2012, 08:03 PM

Yup, it's truly amazing that FDR served an unprecdented 4 terms in office. I'm sure Teddy would have been envious of him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History