Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2016, 12:13 PM

238 posts, read 315,532 times

Advertisements

Being born in 1971,I loved the 80s, because it was during my coming of age, and all the new discoveries that came along with it. MTV, video games, the music (from MJ to Madonna to Duran Duran) and the explosion of cable TV. I had a relatively carefree childhood, punctuated with Cabbage Patch Dolls, Saturday morning cartoons (Smurfs were my fave!) and rubber bracelets. I liked the 90s moreso for personal growth, transitioning from adolescence to adulthood. I fell in love with the internet, PC games, and all the different music styles, from new jack to Selena to grunge. But I was busier being a worker bee, dating, and at the end of the decade, dealing with my father's death. So the 80s represented an innocent time to me, where I had fewer worries in the world (like bills, losing a job, and flunking out of my first college in the '90s) which is why I prefer it. But I liked the 90s too

Old 06-16-2016, 03:01 PM

572 posts, read 279,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowball7 View Post
70s blew away 80s, 80s blew away 90s, 90s blew away 00s, 00s blew away 10s

are we getting the picture yet ?

Make America Great Again.
I think you probably mean 'make Snowball7 young again'.

Old 06-18-2016, 05:19 PM

824 posts, read 1,177,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joliefrijole71 View Post
Being born in 1971,I loved the 80s, because it was during my coming of age, and all the new discoveries that came along with it. MTV, video games, the music (from MJ to Madonna to Duran Duran) and the explosion of cable TV. I had a relatively carefree childhood, punctuated with Cabbage Patch Dolls, Saturday morning cartoons (Smurfs were my fave!) and rubber bracelets. I liked the 90s moreso for personal growth, transitioning from adolescence to adulthood. I fell in love with the internet, PC games, and all the different music styles, from new jack to Selena to grunge. But I was busier being a worker bee, dating, and at the end of the decade, dealing with my father's death. So the 80s represented an innocent time to me, where I had fewer worries in the world (like bills, losing a job, and flunking out of my first college in the '90s) which is why I prefer it. But I liked the 90s too

smurfs cartoon series are the reason why the 80's was a wonderful decade and still is

shame on that lame raja Gosnell for ruining our childhood memories by giving us the truly incredibly dreadful live action smurf movies.

Old 06-20-2016, 03:55 PM

451 posts, read 1,323,727 times
I know this thread has been going on since 2012- so I know I am late in my comments. I was born in 1970, thus would be defined as a "Generation Xers" by these age demographic sociologists. Broadly speaking the 1970's were my childhood years, the 1980's were my teen years (for the most part), the 1990's were my twenties, etc. I have to admit, I have lots of fond memories of the 1980's. To me, it just seemed like simplifier times- but then I was a teen without adult worries and concerns. I have fond memories of the music, TV shows, fashion, fads of the 1980's. In the 1980's, for some reason, I was drawn to "New Wave" music and back when MTV actually showed music videos. I do remember in the 1980's lots of the movies, TV shows and music had "Cold War" themes- fears of nuclear war.

The 1990's were my college years and post graduate education years. The music trend changed. Believe it or not, I did not care as much for 1990's music or pop culture at the time compared to the 1980's. But, right now with the 1990's being 20 years ago or so- I now have a fonder view.

Old 06-20-2016, 04:00 PM

14,669 posts, read 14,631,326 times
I don't miss either one, but I preferred the 1990s much more.

Old 06-22-2016, 09:51 PM

11,650 posts, read 12,941,545 times
I was born in 1992 and I really envy those born in the late 70s, as they got to be teens and young adults throughout the 90s. Everything seemed simpler back then, especially the 90s. For starters, people didn't rely (and depend) on phones a lot, you got to play outside more, fashion was much elegant (women looked classy), the music was more "real" than electronic, etc.

The only big downside to that decade is no access to the internet, where you had to go to the library all the time. And when it came to music you had to go and buy it (Youtube sorta took care of that). So if I felt like I wanna listen to Mozart or Frank Sinatra, I had to go to some store, look for it and buy it. The internet is just very convenient when it comes to these things.

Old 06-25-2016, 11:47 AM

651 posts, read 415,690 times
I was born in late 1970s. Recently I listened "Top 100 best songs" of 1997 and earlier and concluded that I liked disco music of 1980s mainly. In the hit parade - 1984 I like almost each song. I am fond of 1990s music less besides few masterpieces. The same and more I can say about the music of 2000s. I perceive the music after 1997 tedious and uninteresting.
Listening to hit parades I wondered many good popular songs and bands weren't included in the lists but there were many tracks I heard for the first time.
My preferences are disco of 1970s-1980s and dance music of 1990s. But there are many good songs besides.

Old 07-02-2016, 10:28 AM

39,856 posts, read 26,482,831 times
The 1980s, definitely. I was born in the early 60s and would have to say the 1980s were America's highpoint during my lifetime. The 60s and 70s were rough-lots of racial violence, lots of riots and division over the Viet Nam war. Economic disaster of the 70s, high inflation, gas rationing, highest unemployment in modern history. And lets not forget the cold war, where the entire world lived under the threat of nuclear annihilation. Thankfully future generations never had to learn about "duck and cover" drills and learn where their school's fallout shelters were and learn where the nearest targets were. Worse at that time the Soviets had (arguably) nuclear and certainly conventional weapon superiority over us. People lived under the fear that "the ball would drop" at any time.

The 80s were the start of an economic recovery that lasted for upwards of 20 years. We still had a manufacturing base. Interest rates dropped from nearly 20% to about 6%-home ownership and jobs exploded. We had a president that, while he made his share of mistakes, was actually a leader, showed a tremendous amount of love for this nation and it's people and inspired a nation. One that did what was in America's interests, and in doing so eliminated the threat of the 40 year long cold war. The Berlin Wall fell, eastern Europe was once again free and we no longer faced the imminent threat of nuclear annihilation. If you weren't old enough to appreciate that when it happened it's a shame. Oh, and the music was still decent.

The 90s were mixed. Started out strong with the liberation of Kuwait and the restoration of freedom to that nation. Celebrations of freedom and democratic elections in e Europe and Russia. But other than that it was mixed. Weak leadership, sordid stories of rape and sexual abuse and indiscretions in the White House. An impeachment due to a president that committed perjury when facing a trial for sexual assault. The rise of national "leaders" that blame the American people as a whole for violence, rather than the specific criminals. The restrictions of civil rights, both at the national level and in various states (gun rights violations). An economy that was artificially kept afloat by a dot.com bubble, where companies with few or no assets, simply a web address, had a higher valuation than major corporations that actually produced products. It took the NASDAQ what, 15 years, to bounce back? Music started the downhill spiral it is still on, with the overwhelming amount of (c)rap dominating (though I guess that started in the late 80s) the airwaves and hard rock devolving to growling into a microphone. Need I mention singing purple freekin' dinosaurs and talking sponges?

Get off my lawn!

Last edited by Toyman at Jewel Lake; 07-02-2016 at 10:49 AM..

Old 10-29-2016, 06:46 AM

1 posts, read 757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STWR View Post
I think you probably mean 'make Snowball7 young again'.
Born 1970 and the 80s were The best by far. The 90s stunk the fake rap crap and the wanna be phase!!

So true!!!!!

Old 10-30-2016, 04:13 AM

23,857 posts, read 71,318,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethereal View Post
I was born in 1992 and I really envy those born in the late 70s, as they got to be teens and young adults throughout the 90s. Everything seemed simpler back then, especially the 90s. For starters, people didn't rely (and depend) on phones a lot, you got to play outside more, fashion was much elegant (women looked classy), the music was more "real" than electronic, etc.

The only big downside to that decade is no access to the internet, where you had to go to the library all the time. And when it came to music you had to go and buy it (Youtube sorta took care of that). So if I felt like I wanna listen to Mozart or Frank Sinatra, I had to go to some store, look for it and buy it. The internet is just very convenient when it comes to these things.
You make it sound like it is something bad.
Also we didn´t relt on cell phones in the 70s and 80s either, we also played outside all the time, the fashion was even more elegant than in the 90s and the music was electronic in the 80s and 90s too.
In what way does it seem simpler?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History