Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-23-2018, 02:17 PM

10,098 posts, read 4,086,660 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
I could not disagree more with you.

Let's begin with the what America really is. Its simply an idea. That idea was perhaps best expressed by Thomas Jefferson in the Declaration of Independence when he said:

Men were entitled to pursue "life, liberty, and happiness".

And later when said that:

"All men are equal and endowed by their Creator with certain inalienable rights".

That was in 1776. What has occurred since 1776?

In 1789, we ratified a Constitution and a Bill of Rights because we concluded we needed a federal or a national government that could provide us with a common defense, promote our general welfare, and secure us the blessings of liberty.

In 1861, we fought a war over the concepts of slavery and state's rights. Whatever, the exact cause of that war was when it was over we ratified three constitutional amendments. The Thirteenth Amendment abolished slavery. The Fourteenth Amendment made former slaves citizens. The Fifteenth Amendment granted former slaves the right to vote.

The point is that as our nation formed it began to evolve. Our very system is designed for change. The Constitution has an amendment process. We have provided for courts to interpret the law. Judges even interpret constitutional provisions. Sometimes, courts throw out judicial precedent and interpret the law differently. Our laws do not bind us to the mistakes of the past.

There are changes taking place in America due to immigration. The percentage of the population that is white Caucasian is declining. I think that when any group loses or begins to lose majority status there is a certain amount of fear.

However, our system is robust. When we look at our Twentieth Century our nation endured much tumult and upheaval. We fought two world wars. We lived through a great economic calamity known as the Great Depression. We fought one very unpopular war. We have lived through the civil rights movement. We have lived through a women's rights movement. We have seen presidents and presidential candidates assassinated. Through it all, our nation has continued to function. It has continued to grow. It has continued to change--for the better.

Whatever their faults, our Founding Fathers, left us with a sturdy system of government that was capable of weathering these crises and calamities.

Despite my misgivings about what is currently going on in Washington, I have confidence that long after I have departed this Earth that our system will continue and that grand march towards liberty and justice for all Americans will proceed as well.
I disagree with everything you've said here. Can't really get into it as I have work shortly but you're sorely mistaken.

This country is crumbling due to issues I can't get into here (POC is where we would be allowed to be discussed) but in short, look at all the great "superpowers" of the past and their length is generally 200-250 years; America is, what, almost 250 years old?

There are so many angles to look at in this but as I said I don't have time for it. But yeah, America is about to crumble - there are so many obvious signs of this today in this country it isn't even funny.

But go ahead and continue to believe what you will.

Like you said, we might not even be here to see the catastrophe in its entirety before our eyes...but it's coming...

Old 01-23-2018, 03:21 PM

3,677 posts, read 2,560,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kavalier View Post
And if I were black, I'd feel the same way, or very similar.

Can't argue with that.

Though it does make me know this nation is going to crumble in due time. It is going to fall apart, and is already starting to fall apart. You can't have large chunks of the population who have a deep-seeded hate towards the very nation they're living in. It just can't work.

You can't have a nation/continent named after a white European (Amerigo Vespucci) not to mention a constitution that was made by a bunch of men who owned or condoned owning slaves.

I'm in my late 30s now so I might not see it, but within a hundred years every single thing with any Founders' name or likeness is going to have to be burned to the ground, and after that they had better rename the entire continent, since it was named after white European.

And if anyone here thinks I'm joking, I am serious as a heart attack.
Well let me just say I'm twice your age and have no worries about the country crumbling.

1) people have been predicting our doom since the beginning and yet we survive.
2) I don't know any blacks who hate America. My community has a lot of issues alot of them self imposed but for the most part we are committed to becoming contributing members of society. we have fought and died in every conflict. Do we want a lot of injustices corrected?? sure but no one is going back to Africa.
3) Once again don't take History as so rigid, most people acknowledge great leaders in history. but we also know they were deeply flawed.
I totally respect what the founding fathers did, it was brilliant and over 250 years later, there still isn't any other country that embraces it and defends it like we do.

like previous poster said, our greatness is our ability to change

Old 01-23-2018, 04:00 PM

2,264 posts, read 1,483,680 times
Some people are clearly still very upset about the Civil Rights era and the overturning of segregation and Jim Crow. Of course, they can't say that, so they viciously attack the symbol and the public face of that movement, and one of the prime movers of it.

And it's obvious that, lately, such folks feel that their time has come.

Textbook reactionism.

Old 01-23-2018, 09:21 PM

73,009 posts, read 62,585,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hulsker 1856 View Post
Some people are clearly still very upset about the Civil Rights era and the overturning of segregation and Jim Crow. Of course, they can't say that, so they viciously attack the symbol and the public face of that movement, and one of the prime movers of it.

And it's obvious that, lately, such folks feel that their time has come.

Textbook reactionism.
Pretty much. People who hate Dr. King often hate Dr. King because they want segregation back. Those persons want the return of Jim Crow. Alot of those persdons would be happy to see Blacks kicked out of the USA. Dr King isn't just a symbol of the overturning of segregation. He was instrumental in getting rid of segregation.

Anyone who despises Dr King is someone I would not want to be around. Said person is likely a bigot.

Old 01-23-2018, 09:34 PM

10,098 posts, read 4,086,660 times
Oh, right....because, you know, I'm from "Deep South" Minnesota where we want bring back segregation.

I keep forgetting how brutal this state always was to blacks.

Old 01-24-2018, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kavalier View Post
Oh, right....because, you know, I'm from "Deep South" Minnesota where we want bring back segregation.

I keep forgetting how brutal this state always was to blacks.
Minnesota isn't the whole USA. It isn't just about your state. It is about the whole nation living up to its proclamations as the land of freedom and equality.

And just because Minnesota didn't have Jim Crow doesn't mean it was free of racism. One of Dr. King's legacies was getting rid out housing discrimination. Even Minnesota had housing discrimination, redlining, and other issues.

Do not come here with your gaslighting tactics.

Old 01-24-2018, 07:22 AM

13,648 posts, read 20,773,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Pretty much. People who hate Dr. King often hate Dr. King because they want segregation back. Those persons want the return of Jim Crow. Alot of those persdons would be happy to see Blacks kicked out of the USA. Dr King isn't just a symbol of the overturning of segregation. He was instrumental in getting rid of segregation.

Anyone who despises Dr King is someone I would not want to be around. Said person is likely a bigot.
I usually dismiss such statements as mindless hyperbole. But you may be on to something here.

Old 01-24-2018, 07:26 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 6 days ago)

35,624 posts, read 17,953,728 times
I don't know why we insist great leaders be moral standard bearers when it comes to sexual behavior?

That as an honest question. Why can't we accept their gift of great leadership and self-sacrifice? MLK jr. went to his death almost Biblically - knowing what was in store for him, death at a young age at the hands of his detractors. He accepted death willingly for the good of his movement.

Isn't that enough? Do we have to count women he slept with besides his wife?

Old 01-24-2018, 07:29 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 6 days ago)

35,624 posts, read 17,953,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
I usually dismiss such statements as mindless hyperbole. But you may be on to something here.
Me too. The more I read that statement, the more obviously true it is. Touche, mariner.

Old 01-24-2018, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
Growing up, I seldom ever knew a person who had a hatred for Dr. King. And the ones that did were either conspiracy theorists or flat out racists. For this reason, I can't find any other reason for hating Dr. King other than being a bigot.

I've also noticed this. The very persons who hate Dr King will defend Robert E. Lee and the Confederates.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History