Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-23-2018, 05:55 PM

8,481 posts, read 6,886,522 times

Advertisements

Newton Minow would probably still see television programming as a vast wasteland. I still however believe that Dave Garroway and J Fred Mugs on the Today show was quality viewing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2018, 05:59 PM

631 posts, read 562,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
But they were in the 1950's? Have you utterly lost track of the topic?
By transgender I am referring to those who have already *transitioned* (aka, gone under the knife), not those suffering from gender dysphoria vis-à-vis their current outward, physical appearance and genitalia.

Old 06-23-2018, 06:39 PM

3,041 posts, read 7,933,545 times
I am 85,married in 1956.For me from a-z one big mess,I could go on but probably to no avail.
To much for no work,no respect,living together with no responsibility,cost of living out of site.on and on I could go
I started with Bell in 1956 for $1.00 per hour,good health insurance for $2.50 per week.No credit,needed cash to buy items.Had to have 20 percent down to purchase home.New vehicle $1500.
Life was much easier.

Old 06-23-2018, 08:36 PM

2,478 posts, read 1,549,473 times
Anyone here read Steven King’s 11/22/63? I guess they are producing it for tv or film currently. Anyway, it takes the exact opposite premise and transports a man from our time to the 1950's. The result for me was having a sense of just how much things have changed. I remember the 60’s, but just barely, as I was a young kid. The single biggest change since then has been the computer and internet, technologically and how technology has affected societies. But there have been incredible changes in medicine, politics, media, and social paradigms to name only a few. As impressive as the change has been imagine how the world changed from 1900 to 1950. Wow. We went from horse and buggy to the moon in less than 75 years. Makes you wonder where we will be in another 75.

Old 06-23-2018, 11:21 PM

9,512 posts, read 6,099,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
... Why didn't she? Dad. He didn't want his wife working, and it was his duty to take care of her. My mom wouldn't sacrifice the marriage, but she was always sort of sad when she talked about it to me. She kept the cells she had for a long time until they got damaged. I think she regretted her choice...

...In the 50's women were supposed to be grateful that husbands supported them. If they'd rather not have to be it was the 'wrong way'. Women did not fill positions of importance. They were secretaries and receptionists and clerks. They were the office eye candy until they settled down and got married so a man could take care of them...

...I think that women can and do take care of themselves is a monumental step forward. I think that many
I was a kid in the 50's and with all our problems today, I'd still take today over then...
I’d have to defer to you since I wasn’t born until the late 1960’s but I’ve always been confused about this.

In the early 1900’s, my great x 3 aunt was a physician: Dr. Amy Miles Dr. Amy Miles was married ... to a Dr. E. Miles. Another great x’s 3 aunt; was a professor at CU. She was not married. My great x 3 grandmother was widowed with 6 children to raise & took over the grocery store her husband had been co-owner of.

She eventually remarried but had managed to purchase huge portions of ranch land across Colorado & Nebraska. Ranch land that ended up being in the direct path of where the Union Pacific wanted to go.

The railroad executives knew better than to assume the Mr. would be handling the negotiations... it was clear that it was her money, her land & the ball was in her court.

This has remained the status of women in my family. If you want to; you do it. If you don’t; you don’t have to.

My mother, born in 1942; was a double PhD & so was her sister. Her sister also had her MD. Both married, both mothers.

No secretaries, receptionists or clerks (actually; my paternal grandmother tried to get her certificate as a secretary during the Depression but got expelled ... for giggling in class).

So; while I’m not challenging your perception; which is based on having “been there”, I’m just wondering what/who it was that was limiting women back then?

Now; what I do remember was the aftermath of the 60’s-70’s counterculture; from the perspective of the kids.

So many of my friends had to endure divorce. Not divorce due to abuse or addictions but because everybody’s mom wanted to go “find themselves”. Usually this was accomplished by becoming a real-estate agent & sending the kids to school with house keys around their necks.

Do you think that your childhood may have been different if your parents had started their family during the late 60’s-70’s vs the late 40’s-50’s?

Old 06-25-2018, 07:32 AM

3,680 posts, read 2,964,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
You aren't going to waste your time providing us with a reason to think that anything you listed is actually true? How surprising. Of course what readers here will conclude is not "Oh he's got the goods, he just isn't showing them"...they are going to conclude that you are simply making all this up and you don't actually know. At least that is what I conclude.

Yes, and your entire previous post was devoted to only the negative trends as you see them. Would not the truth of matters be a product of a balanced view rather than one which focuses exclusively on your complaints? You really aren't presenting yourself here as someone who has looked at all the evidence and reached fair conclusions, you are presenting yourself as someone who began with a conclusion and then presented only that which supported the conclusion while overlooking anything which does not. Worse, that which does support your conclusion are only assertions which you aren't "going to waste time" establishing as valid. In short you aren't giving us a reason to take what you are saying seriously.
I used to provide links on request. As I recall, every time the questioning Thought Cop simply threw aspersion at the source. COINTELPRO and Skeptinazi techniques come to mind...

Every source has "good days and bad days". That will likely get attacked as well seeing as that is what you do. Though I can't seem to recall you generally sourcing your vociferous, grandstanding claims.

Old 06-25-2018, 07:42 AM

3,680 posts, read 2,964,604 times
Someone from the 50's would be amazed by many things. Some that come to mind:
1) The size of most new home construction. Most new homes are monstrosities compared to the humble home of the 50's.
2) The size and picture quality of modern television sets.
3) The laptop computer.
4) The internet.
5) Smartphones
6) Flashable washers & dryers that break down relatively quickly. Other appliances as well.
7) The LED lightbulb.
8) Plastic $60,000 autos that get amazing gas mileage and are virtually impossible for the owner to service.
9) The spiraling debt. They would think we have lost our collective minds and they would be right.
10) The birthrate and wedding rate. Getting married and having children used to be virtually automatic - not a carefully deliberated option.
**The fact that our government uses this wonderful technology to capture every speck of private information imaginable.

Old 06-25-2018, 10:41 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,348,018 times
My parents are from the 1940s and they seem to have adapted pretty well.

Old 06-25-2018, 10:45 AM

11,085 posts, read 7,149,943 times
I bet they'd be disappointed. Technology might be a bit interesting, but the declines in culture and civility would have them thoroughly appalled.

Old 06-25-2018, 03:22 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,254,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
I'd bet electrical engineers of the 1950s would be the least surprised. Primitive digital computers, satellites, energy storage, transistors, and microwaves were known to them back then. All of these technologies were the basis of what every Tom, Dick, and Harry has on his cell phone now.

I've got to agree about that. Dad started as a raido man on a ship during the war. He used to have a box of parts and still could have built one for any particulare use. He talked about the earliest computers, and was one of those who was responsible for all the flights past Mercury. Around the time of a launch, Dad would be home to eat and ready for a call to get back to work.

He would buy some of the 'toys' as they came out and dissapear into his room where he kept his old tools, so he could take the new stuff apart to see if he felt they were worth purchasing. Mostly he just said they were too plastic and too cheap. We had toys, but they were the high end companies and the best designs. They also lasted longer. We didn't get a color tv until they'd worked out the kinks and sometimes the cowboys looked like they came from mars with the green tint, or others. He didn't believe in buying things which were not made well enough it was fully worth the money.

All those neat things we have were born somewhere in the minds of people like Dad who wasn't satisfied by cheap and unuseful toys, but wanted them to work and work well and be something the creators would take pride in.

And Dad would have LOVED a cell. Anyone remember the phones which were linked with the base but you could carry it within an area and it would work on wifi? Dad really wanted one of them.

And Dad and those others also helped make a part of the future just might also question where we pull back when the competition is how many selfies you can take of yourself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History