U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2012, 08:14 AM

42,668 posts, read 71,523,609 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdrtx View Post
I say bring back school prayer on Jan. 1, 2013.
Without police in the schools, how would you force the bad boys and girls to pray?

Why did you choose a date when there will be no kids in school?

When I went to school in the 1940s, there was no mention of God in the Pledge of Allegiance and no mention of God on US dollar bills. And there sure as hell was no prayer in school. All of that is of post-1950s manufacture. How do you plan to "bring back" something that was never there in the first place?

Last edited by jtur88; 11-06-2012 at 08:26 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2012, 08:22 AM

2,885 posts, read 3,396,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STB93 View Post
Basically kind of the same as someone from 1912 thinking of today thread.

So, how would someone from the 1950s react to todays current digital technologies and other cool gadgets and entertainment? Would he be impressed or a little dissapointed? To people who were around in the 50s or knew people who were around in the 50s what do you think of todays technologies?
All of this is entirely subjective, of course, but since you asked:

(1) I think that today's technology is a very trivial extension of the past with little actual benefit. The real breakthroughs occurred much earlier (electronic communication, household electric service, public sanitation, antibiotics, vaccinations, internal combustion engines, airplanes, the semiconductor junction, and so forth endlessly).

(2) I thought the 1950s were great. We had a responsible government by adults who could get together to solve problems and move the country forward. The Cuban Missile Crisis scared the pants off of anyone with a brain, but we made it through by virtue of government by talented leaders (I hate to think of what might have happened had this kind of crisis occurred during the watch some of the more recent administrations).

(3) I disagree very much with the idea expressed somewhere above that people such as I liked the 50s only because we were young then. I absolutely hated the period from about 1965 through about 1980, when I was still young and materially very well off. The 1980s were quite a bit better, even though I was getting older and had a lot more responsibility. It seems to be hard for many people to admit that cultures in fact have always peaked and then declined. We might (might) now be in a period of permanent decline. The 1950s might (might) have been our culture's high point. This has nothing at all to do with my age-related circumstances.

(4) I think that circumstances for women of at least middle class status were far better in the 1950s than they are now (this is an endless debate), because they had the choice of opting-out of the workplace tournament of rat racers.

Old 11-06-2012, 09:45 AM

1,721 posts, read 1,171,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
I'll have to ask my mom.

I'm wondering the same thing myself. As a wee tot in the early 60s, I had books that practically guaranteed me those things in the 21st Century!
Its still the early 21st century. Who knows: Maybe we might have all those things around 2060 or so.

Old 11-06-2012, 10:37 AM

36,951 posts, read 17,425,944 times
Quote:
I'll try it this way.

Matthew 6:5-9

New American Standard Bible (NASB)

5 “When you pray, you are not to be like the hypocrites; for they love to stand and pray in the synagogues and on the street corners so that they may be seen by men. Truly I say to you, they have their reward in full. 6 But you, when you pray, go into your inner room, close your door and pray to your Father who is in secret, and your Father who sees what is done in secret will reward you.
7 “And when you are praying, do not use meaningless repetition as the Gentiles do, for they suppose that they will be heard for their many words. 8 So do not be like them; for your Father knows what you need before you ask Him.
9 “Pray, then, in this way:
‘Our Father who is in heaven,
Hallowed be Your name
So then, no, you are unable to offer us anything which supports the idea that there is any relationship between school prayer and the problems you perceive as currently plaguing our schools. You wish to impose your private eccentric beliefs upon everyone and cannot explain why it needs to be done.

Old 11-10-2012, 07:44 PM
Status: "happy again, no longer catless! t...." (set 4 days ago)

14,421 posts, read 16,677,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamish Forbes View Post
All of this is entirely subjective, of course, but since you asked:

(1) I think that today's technology is a very trivial extension of the past with little actual benefit. The real breakthroughs occurred much earlier (electronic communication, household electric service, public sanitation, antibiotics, vaccinations, internal combustion engines, airplanes, the semiconductor junction, and so forth endlessly).

(2) I thought the 1950s were great. We had a responsible government by adults who could get together to solve problems and move the country forward. The Cuban Missile Crisis scared the pants off of anyone with a brain, but we made it through by virtue of government by talented leaders (I hate to think of what might have happened had this kind of crisis occurred during the watch some of the more recent administrations).

(3) I disagree very much with the idea expressed somewhere above that people such as I liked the 50s only because we were young then. I absolutely hated the period from about 1965 through about 1980, when I was still young and materially very well off. The 1980s were quite a bit better, even though I was getting older and had a lot more responsibility. It seems to be hard for many people to admit that cultures in fact have always peaked and then declined. We might (might) now be in a period of permanent decline. The 1950s might (might) have been our culture's high point. This has nothing at all to do with my age-related circumstances.

(4) I think that circumstances for women of at least middle class status were far better in the 1950s than they are now (this is an endless debate), because they had the choice of opting-out of the workplace tournament of rat racers.
I question this. My mother worked for Disney. She was in first step of the animation process, the animators doing the key cells, and others doing all the rest. Her job was do paint the cells which went to the ones who repeated the same over so many times. She'd had an offer from Hanna Barbarra to come work for them, as a lead animator.

Whe didn't she? Dad. He didn't want his wife working, and it was his duty to take care of her. My mom wouldn't sacrifice the marriage, but she was always sort of sad when she talked about it to me. She kept the cells she had for a long time until they got damaged. I think she regretted her choice.

In the 50's women were supposed to be grateful that husbands supported them. If they'd rather not have to be it was the 'wrong way'. Women did not fill positions of importance. They were secretaries and receptionists and clerks. They were the office eye candy until they settled down and got married so a man could take care of them.

I think that women can and do take care of themselves is a monumental step forward. I think that many women do have the option of opting out if the husband makes enough too. But what's developed is a two income household... and a LOT more stuff. With the economy bad, its good that women can be more than the secreatary as well. Its a huge boast to the self image to be allowed to be a partner, not just be the 'wife'.

Among the nostalgia about the fifties is this peaceful nice place where teenagers thought about the dance and dad's worked diligently to provide and women's ambition was to be Mrs Cleaver is the one that it didn't also force blinders. It was also a decade of the worse of the polio epidemic, the hunt for the 'reds' which ruined thousands of lives, a war which generally got ignored unless family was involved and the first generation who was afraid that they'd never grow up if the bombs dropped. Lets not wax poetic without talking about the darker side. Some of those women *had* worked who were trying to be Mrs Cleaver, and been forced out. Some still wished to, and some did since husband couldn't provide enought. But what this generation of women instilled secretly in their daughters was the idea they did NOT have to be Mrs. Cleaver if they didn't want to and they did not have to pretend either.

I was a kid in the 50's and with all our problems today, I'd still take today over then.

Old 11-10-2012, 07:57 PM
Status: "happy again, no longer catless! t...." (set 4 days ago)

14,421 posts, read 16,677,475 times
Quote:
Its still the early 21st century. Who knows: Maybe we might have all those things around 2060 or so.
In a very real way, we are on the cusp of something which will change everything, but have only just seen the first baby steps. Technology is moving forward exponentially. Not only is robotic technology moving forward, but the idea of interfacing chip and brain. We already have smart meters implanted for medical reasons which can monitor things like heartrate, and defibrilate a heart attack on its own or warn of insulan shock. A doctor can monitor a patients blood pressure real time.

This is the baby steps. What comes next, is a tie in with more. Maybe a brain to chip to limb pathway to allow paraplegics to stand and walk, not just as a special case but as the normal one. Or a direct brain/net interface. These things come, and they will since we already are working on them, and the world as we see it will change as much as it did when man first discovered how to make fire.

It's only 2012 and while many today would not agree to such things their children or children's children will welcome them.

An age is about to be left behind in the dust and we are just seeing the first pebbles in the pathway.

Old 11-10-2012, 07:58 PM

5,586 posts, read 11,831,318 times
Well thinkbeforeyouvote, you apparently lead a pretty miserable life to have the views you have. You could be the poster child for childhood lost. We didn't have the drug issues here like they did in Kalifornia. I chatted with my neighbor who also raced cars about the same time I did but he and his wife were from the bad side of the tracks and drugs not only were not an issue, they didn't even know what they were. For here, it was a mid 70's thing at the earliest. The wife being from Michigan also didn't have a clue about drugs in the 50's or 60's. It was a 70's thing in Lansing, Mi. So much for yer authors "expertise". Maybe you should get out more rather than read of some nutz opinions. And yes, I'm a Christian. And I also have my beliefs, just like you have yours. Don't make fun of mine and I won't consider you a psycho. Cheers!

Old 11-10-2012, 08:34 PM

48,519 posts, read 80,998,062 times
I know one think if pernts i the 50's where in control of modern TV and what;s on it they would unplug the set and kids wouldn never see the trash that is on them.Also soap sales would skyrocket.

Old 11-12-2012, 07:23 AM

993 posts, read 769,491 times
Quote:
I'll try it this way.

Matthew 6:5-9

New American Standard Bible (NASB)

5 “When you pray, you are not to be like the hypocrites; for they love to stand and pray in the synagogues and on the street corners so that they may be seen by men. Truly I say to you, they have their reward in full. 6 But you, when you pray, go into your inner room, close your door and pray to your Father who is in secret, and your Father who sees what is done in secret will reward you.
7 “And when you are praying, do not use meaningless repetition as the Gentiles do, for they suppose that they will be heard for their many words. 8 So do not be like them; for your Father knows what you need before you ask Him.
9 “Pray, then, in this way:
‘Our Father who is in heaven,
Hallowed be Your name

Quoting the Bible to tell us that prayer should be in schools is like quoting Harry Potter and saying that Wizards and magic are real. Oh wait, they're the same thing. They're both works of fiction about magical wizards and no connection to reality whatsoever.

Forcing your silly cult on everyone won't make this country better, it will step on the #1 main tenet of this entire nation...you know, the whole freedom from the nation establishing a religion thing.

And how come the most religious places are also the ones with the most poverty and the most crime/violence?

Old 11-12-2012, 08:00 PM

7,142 posts, read 8,430,229 times
Quote:
Basically kind of the same as someone from 1912 thinking of today thread.

So, how would someone from the 1950s react to todays current digital technologies and other cool gadgets and entertainment? Would he be impressed or a little dissapointed? To people who were around in the 50s or knew people who were around in the 50s what do you think of todays technologies?
I think they would be disappointed. Have you ever seen some of those documentaries from the 1950s on what life in the future would be like? We were supposed to have flying cars by now, and I think they would be a little disappointed to hear that we don't have maned spaceships exploring the universe yet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or