U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-19-2012, 11:22 AM

11,792 posts, read 15,811,340 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by STB93 View Post
What Would Someone From The 1950s Think of Today?

As one who recalls the 1950s only as a child and the things my parents faced, I have to mostly go by the current conditions compared to what I have experienced over the past forty tears as an adult. A year and a half ago my house was burglarized of handguns and other valuables, last March my granddaughter was abducted at gunpoint at her bus stop, in September I had young couple as rent tenants who proved to be racists toward me and who destroyed my rent house, a week ago another young couple tried to scam me out of $400 by giving me a bad check then asking for their money back a day later and last summer one of my very few neighbors was stabbed nearly a dozen times in front of his rural home by someone he had tried to help. And finally, our nation is now run by those who would make me a criminal for feeling the need to sleep with a loaded handgun.

To answer your question, if today's economically, social and political conditions were rated on a scale of 1 to 10, I would be hard pressed to give it a fraction.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2012, 07:47 AM

755 posts, read 612,342 times
"The highest marginal tax rate has been lowered from the 91% of the 1950s? Great! What is it now, 80%? C'mon, don't let me get my hopes up that it's as low as 70% or, be still my beating heart, 60%! Tell me, already! Oh, and by the way, how do we pay our bills with it that low?"

"Excuse me, Miss? I'm thirsty, but I saw a colored man drinking over there. Can you tell me where I can find the 'White' drinking fountain?"

"I must say, that movie was absolutely filthy! What happened to the Hays Code?"

"A woman?! Secretary of State?! What have you people done to my country?!"

"Who's that colored man on the television? What?! The President?! That can't--" [faints]

Old 03-21-2018, 12:49 PM

1 posts, read 637 times
Ok but how would a person from the 1950's think of today?

Old 03-21-2018, 12:53 PM

72,842 posts, read 64,283,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by datondahanford View Post
Ok but how would a person from the 1950's think of today?
Are you aware that people from the 50's, and 40's, and 60's, form the largest age cohort alive today? Ever heard of the Baby Boomers? Why don't you just ask some of them your question. Don't you have some in your family?

Old 03-25-2018, 01:17 AM

414 posts, read 148,461 times
"Where's the cigarette smoke?"

"Why would anyone choose not to get vaccinated? Don't they remember how bad disease was?"

"I can't believe the party of Strom Thurmond nominated a black man, and he proceded to get elected twice."

"What are those things that people put on their heads to ride bikes?"

Old 03-25-2018, 05:49 AM

3,062 posts, read 2,890,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by User1771 View Post
Basically kind of the same as someone from 1912 thinking of today thread.

So, how would someone from the 1950s react to todays current digital technologies and other cool gadgets and entertainment? Would he be impressed or a little dissapointed? To people who were around in the 50s or knew people who were around in the 50s what do you think of todays technologies?
As someone born in the late 1950s I find it sad that technological advances have resulted in the breakdown of human interaction and relationships. Technology is amazing and has made many things possible that most could not have imagined 50 years ago. But, the unintended effect of people becoming more attached to their electronic devices than to personal relationships is having a subtle but frightening impact on societies and the world. We used to not only know our neighbors but, most of us could get along with each other, despite our differences.

Old 06-09-2018, 12:29 PM

275 posts, read 225,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Are you aware that people from the 50's, and 40's, and 60's, form the largest age cohort alive today? Ever heard of the Baby Boomers? Why don't you just ask some of them your question. Don't you have some in your family?
I imagine the OP meant what would someone transported directly in our time from the 1950s think. That person's opinion would be worlds different than someone who has been around since those days and experienced everything the past 60 years has had to offer.

Old 06-09-2018, 03:07 PM

3,979 posts, read 1,603,769 times
I think they would be totally freaked out.

I always tell my children that they are living in a science fiction movie from a century ago. Computers. Internet. Amazing technology.

But the time traveler from the 50s would easily grasp technology. Cars are cars. Planes are planes. Computers would be fairly easy to pick up. What would be mindblowing are the societal shifts that have taken place. Great racial equality. Women in the workforce AND holding positions of authority and responsibility. The sexual revolution. Entertainment. Music. Clothing. Etiquette. The list goes on and on and on of foundational changes to how we do things. Heck, even old-school management style on the factory floor.

Old 06-09-2018, 03:38 PM

5,122 posts, read 2,928,500 times
Still waiting for robots at home and personal jet packs. All I got is a T-shirt.

Old 06-10-2018, 12:12 PM

6,695 posts, read 7,362,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunGrins View Post
Still waiting for robots at home and personal jet packs. All I got is a T-shirt.
We have robots that vacuum and cut the grass. What more do you want?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or