U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-10-2018, 12:18 PM

72,686 posts, read 64,172,365 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunGrins View Post
Still waiting for robots at home and personal jet packs. All I got is a T-shirt.
Yeah, I don't know that things have changed all that much since the 50's. Credit cards, personal computers, big whoop. Crowded freeways. What am I missing? Online education, I guess. I don't think there would be any big culture shock, or anything, for a 50's person. Premarital sex being ordinary? The explosion of single motherhood? IDK, help me out, people. What are some of the big changes? Why would anyone from the 50's be in for any kind of shock or need for a major adjustment? "The Future" is here; what's so different, from the 50's? The gig economy? Employers sloughing off employee benefits, like health insurance? Political tension with Russia? No....wait....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2018, 12:34 PM

568 posts, read 176,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by User1771 View Post
Basically kind of the same as someone from 1912 thinking of today thread.

So, how would someone from the 1950s react to todays current digital technologies and other cool gadgets and entertainment? Would he be impressed or a little dissapointed? To people who were around in the 50s or knew people who were around in the 50s what do you think of todays technologies?
I think someone from the 1950s would be rather sanguine on the IT innovations, once s/he sees how much society has changed morally. The change on that front is nothing short of revolutionary compared to IT. Now we have children sexting each other, having sex with each other and parents are powerless to stop it. People get married, divorced and re-married like they are buying a new wardrobe. Have an abortion!, no problem. Men burning with lust for each other, women burning with lust for each other... innovation: same-sex marriage! Yipee! It used to be, when TV made its advent, that a married couple's bedroom included two twin beds and people of the opposite sex portrayed moral decency (when it comes to control over the body and bodily impulses) (although there were plenty of vilains… and b*tches). Now look what's on network and cable TV... as a society we've descended to our most base instincts... and we call it liberation.

Last edited by 2ner; 06-10-2018 at 01:03 PM..

Old 06-11-2018, 12:38 PM

36,964 posts, read 17,437,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ner View Post
I think someone from the 1950s would be rather sanguine on the IT innovations, once s/he sees how much society has changed morally. The change on that front is nothing short of revolutionary compared to IT. Now we have children sexting each other, having sex with each other and parents are powerless to stop it. People get married, divorced and re-married like they are buying a new wardrobe. Have an abortion!, no problem. Men burning with lust for each other, women burning with lust for each other... innovation: same-sex marriage! Yipee! It used to be, when TV made its advent, that a married couple's bedroom included two twin beds and people of the opposite sex portrayed moral decency (when it comes to control over the body and bodily impulses) (although there were plenty of vilains… and b*tches). Now look what's on network and cable TV... as a society we've descended to our most base instincts... and we call it liberation.
All of today's supposed moral indecency was around in the '50's, it was just closeted then so that we could all happily pretend that it was not happening.

That is what you should do....whatever you don't like, well, just pretend it does not exist.

It worked so well for those folks in what you identify as a lost Golden Age, why won't it work for you today?

While you have your head in the sand not seeing all of the progress, the rest of us will get on with the progress.

Old 06-11-2018, 01:06 PM

72,686 posts, read 64,172,365 times
Quote:
This is where I see the most potential for culture-shock, for people from the 50's, for sure (except for the Beatniks, who pretty much got the ball rolling on some of these issues). And funny you should mention twin beds. My parents, and all my relatives in older generations had twin beds. Overcrowded cities and freeways might be a bit of a shock, too.

Old 06-11-2018, 01:24 PM

5,171 posts, read 2,998,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
All of today's supposed moral indecency was around in the '50's, it was just closeted then so that we could all happily pretend that it was not happening.

That is what you should do....whatever you don't like, well, just pretend it does not exist.

It worked so well for those folks in what you identify as a lost Golden Age, why won't it work for you today?

While you have your head in the sand not seeing all of the progress, the rest of us will get on with the progress.
There is a difference between making wise choices to conceal confusing information from children until they have the experience to handle it and deliberately trying to hide factual information from people for self-serving reasons.

At this time everything is okay for everyone. The individual rules and makes his own decisions regardless of how it will affect others. This is a disastrous position for a group of people to try to manage. As a result there is little group consensus and less cooperation.

Our biggest and most damaging change since the Fifties in my opinion is the wrenching and rapid change in values and resulting policy changes. The social chaos and confusion we see is a result of people being forced into change that they are not yet ready to accept.

Need a reality check on what I posit? Read the webs. It's a good example of how fragmented we are.

Old 06-11-2018, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post
There is a difference between making wise choices to conceal confusing information from children until they have the experience to handle it and deliberately trying to hide factual information from people for self-serving reasons.

At this time everything is okay for everyone. The individual rules and makes his own decisions regardless of how it will affect others. This is a disastrous position for a group of people to try to manage. As a result there is little group consensus and less cooperation.

Our biggest and most damaging change since the Fifties in my opinion is the wrenching and rapid change in values and resulting policy changes. The social chaos and confusion we see is a result of people being forced into change that they are not yet ready to accept.

Need a reality check on what I posit? Read the webs. It's a good example of how fragmented we are.
Your is a timeless post, timeless in the sense that there has never been a time when people were not griping about present day conditions and bemoaning the loss of some imagined Golden Age.

If you could travel back to that "Golden Age' you know what you would find? A bunch of people complaining about how horrible things had become and bemoaning the loss of some earlier Golden Age.

And forcing people to accept change that they aren't ready to accept is often the only way to make any progress. If we had not forced integration on the South, if we had left racial progress up to the George Wallaces, Lester Maddoxs and Bull Connors, when do you think they would have agreed to changes? If women had not used the '70's to re-educate society on their capacities, if we had left it up to Norman Mailer and Bobby Riggs, men who were not "ready to accept change", then when would the change have come about?

You can't run a revolution, even a cultural revolution, without upsetting some people. Is fear of upsetting these folks a good enough reason to block progress?

Old 06-11-2018, 05:33 PM

Quote:
The Golden Age was lost long before the 1950s... it was lost when the serpent deceived Eve in the garden of Eden. She ate the apple from the tree of knowledge. Adam, listened to the voice of his helpmate (some helpmate) and he also ate of this apple. Their eyes were opened (yeah, right).

We are all living in the Adam dream to varying degrees. I say varying degrees because...

I may be running after the lusts of the flesh, while you are not,
I may be envying my brother, while you are not,
I may be resenting my boss, while you are not.
and so on...

But, you still can't justify yourself because you and I are still partly in the dream. You have not completely escaped it yourself.

Jesus came to show us a better way. One is free to accept this or not. You don't have to force me. I can come to him on my own with an honest, humble heart.

Old 06-11-2018, 05:40 PM

5,104 posts, read 2,918,142 times
Quote:
The Golden Age was lost long before the 1950s... it was lost when the serpent deceived Eve in the garden of Eden. She ate the apple from the tree of knowledge. Adam, listened to the voice of his helpmate (some helpmate) and he also ate of this apple. Their eyes were opened (yeah, right).
Hmmm. Interesting story. I'll bet you got that from a book. Nobody reads books anymore.

Old 06-11-2018, 05:51 PM

Quote:

We are all living in the Adam dream to varying degrees. I say varying degrees because...

I may be running after the lusts of the flesh, while you are not,
I may be envying my brother, while you are not,
I may be resenting my boss, while you are not.
and so on...

But, you still can't justify yourself because you and I are still partly in the dream. You have not completely escaped it yourself.

Jesus came to show us a better way. One is free to accept this or not. You don't have to force me. I can come to him on my own with an honest, humble heart.
I think you want the religion forum since your topic is an assertion of religious belief.

This is the history forum where the existence and nature of the world's religions would be a legitimate topics, but not the validity of a religion.

And please, the next time you feel the need to proselytize, do so without reference to any of my posts.

Old 06-11-2018, 05:55 PM

Quote:
I think you want the religion forum since your topic is an assertion of religious belief.

This is the history forum where the existence and nature of the world's religions would be a legitimate topics, but not the validity of a religion.

And please, the next time you feel the need to proselytize, do so without reference to any of my posts.
Friend,

To each their light. It was not my intention to offend.

Best to you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or