U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2013, 04:46 PM

2,096 posts, read 3,651,393 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tablemtn View Post

But by the late 80's, it became possible for lower-budget videos to insert digital production elements into videos. This kind of early desktop CGI often looked clunky, but it was a definite shift. I think this technological change is why the very late 80's and early 90's were sort of a garish age in terms of video production. Lots of people had sudden access to new editing toys, and they couldn't help themselves. Sort of like early self-made webpages on Geocities/Angelfire/et. al.
Oh yeah, very true. I guess it's a little bit like how ubiquitous digital photography since the mid 2000s has led to cheesy things like peace signs, odd camera angles and teenage girls doing duckface. The technology is new so people overuse it.

Old 02-21-2013, 06:39 PM

3,284 posts, read 6,288,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fireandice1000 View Post
I agree with you on this as well. I think the 90s and previous decades had a more 'happier' feel to them overall. I also think that society wasn't as trivial or superficial as today as well. I do believe that society did have problems back then and many of those problems are still here today. However, I think that people tended to trust each other a bit more back then mainly because America's social fabric was much stronger in those decades. It was starting to fray probably even back long before most of us were born but at least it was still mostly peaceful.

I know a lot of people mentioned how computers and the Internet have changed society since the 80s. Before the Internet computers were expensive and mostly for corporate, government, or scientific research. The Internet was available for quite some time but really didn't take off until the DotCom boom. I think 1996 is a barrier between pre-Internet and Internet society. Then, in 2000-2001 you had the dot-com meltdown and from that point until 2006 or so was more of a plateau in society in general. To me, 1996 - 2006 was pretty much the same for the most part. From 2006 on you have the social media / Facebooker era and I can tell the difference between Facebook Era and the Dotcom Era; the Dotcom Era had better culture, more civility and a more live-and-let live philosophy (not to mention more genuine individuality). However, the Facebook Era is like the Walmart of all Eras; cheap consumer products and culture, trashy music/entertainment, a fake hivemind in the form of social media, and a witch hunt mentality in everything from politics to business, people's personal lives, etc...yes, there is a BIG difference between today and pre-social media Society.
I just get tired of going ANYWHERE in public and seeing half of the people staring at some electronic device. They look like braindead zombies.

As far as entertainment goes, the 90s was the last decade for good movies and music. Everything, and I mean EVERYTHING, besides the LOTR trilogy, that Hollywood has put out since the late 90s has been utter crap. Name ONE memorable film from the 2000s (besides Lord of the Rings) that will stand the test of time. You can't.

For music, since 2000 we've have American Idol nobodies, Justin Bieber, and rappers. At least there was some real music in the 90s, actual rock bands.

Old 02-21-2013, 07:59 PM

17,566 posts, read 21,741,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by belmont22 View Post
Asking People older than 30.

I was born in '90 and I was wondering, was the atmosphere, culture, and way people acted in 1990, 1991, and 1992 more or less identical to how people acted in the mid and late 80s, or was it suddenly different as soon the 90s hit?

I don't see a huge difference between 2006 and 2012 aside from social media being bigger, more dance music and less rap, were 1986 and 1992 any more different or about the same difference?

It's been said on this forum, I heard it before this and I happen to agree with it - when a new decade hits it takes about five years for the musical, social, stylistic, prevalent trends from the previous decade to disappear, and the new ones to take their place. The same was true in the eighties into the nineties.
Another thing I have noticed that a popular Television show of the last decade will hang on for about three to five years and then go off the air.

My oldest child, a son was born in 1993 and I do remember a few things, Grunge rock was popular. Band such as Nirvana and Pearl Jam. The US Hokey Team beat the Russians at the Olympics, In Rap music the Beasties Boys, Run DMC, Jay Zee, Snoop Dog, Ice T were all 80s hang overs that retained popularity through the mid 1990s.

In games Nintedo 64, Playstation were popular. Crash Bandikoot was a popular game. WWF Wresting was popular. MT^V and VHI still played music.

Your parents may have brought you home from the hospital in a Ford Taurus, a Mercury Sable, a Toyota Camry, a Dodge Grand Caravan or a Chrysler Town and Country. The car may have been teal.

If you look your baby pictures your mom may have had permed or very big hair, with pangs and a puff on top. She may have worn long sweaters and leggings, A longer bulky sweater, thick socks and snrakers. Dad's have might have been longer in the back and he may have worn dockers.

Hope this is helpful,

Old 02-23-2013, 12:11 AM

126 posts, read 375,054 times
The Very Early 90's (1990, 1991, 1992): Period where everything introduced in the late 1980's became mainstream. There were a lot of ugly Cosby sweaters in this period. We did not know any better.

The Mid 90's (1993-1996): The Anti-80's and Very Early 90's Movement began. It was uncool to listen to most top 40 singles from 1980-1992 by 1996. People began wearing flannel and rocking out to almost every Grunge band. Drugs really became a big deal before 1993 was over. Why do I blame Snoop Dogg for this?

The late 90's (1996-1999): The 80's/Very Early 90's revival. "The Wedding Singer" and "The Big Lebowski" brought everyone out of that depressing universe. The Spice Girls/ N'SYNC/ and the Backstreet Boys brought pop back from dead. It was too late though.

I loved the very early 90's despite the problems of that time. There was a lot going on. The Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles craze was BIG in 1990. I still remember that. The mid-90's were boring to me. Everyone seemed to like them at the time. There was way too much hyper-realism in the movies. Pop culture seemed really dead in 1993. Ironically, the new Nineties crowd laughed at those who missed the 1980's and early 90's. I see the mid-90's and late-90's as building blocks for the 2000's. I think that is why style has not changed much from 1994. There was wayy more denim in 1994 than in these times, though. The real fashion of mid-90's was really tacky in my eyes.

Old 02-23-2013, 04:23 AM
YAZ

7,067 posts, read 11,436,824 times
Dude....I bought my first house in 1993. I bought my second house in 1997. Things were rockin' compared to the late '80's. I finished college, had a real good job....quit and got a better job. Living in the Detroit area was AWESOME.

Pistons were coming off back to back championships, the Berlin Wall came down makin' a big noise, and the Lions made an appearance in the NFC Championship game vs. the Redskins. I was there, and got on TV.

Billary became president and all of a sudden money was taken out of my paycheck for health care.

About $10 per week so no one noticed that much....

Gas was under $2 per gallon. Nobody cared.

Cars were selling and I was working some major OT for an awesome parts supplier. Being a union member in good standing was an attribute. Mustang 3.8L and 5.0's were selling like hotckakes on a late Sunday morning.

I worked Sundays for double time.

Old 02-23-2013, 11:18 AM

9,816 posts, read 19,014,998 times
The world changed dramatically from 1988 to 1992. Culturally, I think 1991 was the last grasp of the 1980's. The last loud colors, music, food, movies, clothes, cars, etc. and by 1992 all of that was considered uncool. In the 1990's the colors turned more plain, cars adopted sculpted styling rather than sharp edges, movies lost the fun they had in the 1980's, everything was a lot more gritty and humorless overall.

I would say though the internet changed our society quite a lot by 1998. It was an interesting time to be alive.

Old 02-23-2013, 12:02 PM

I see 1992 as the last grasp of 1989. It all came together.

River Phoenix starring as a young Indiana Jones lead to The Young Indiana Jones Chronicles.

The reception of the first season of Saved By the Bell lead to the death of NBC Saturday Morning Cartoons.

The popularity of Murphy Brown in 1989 lead to Dan Quayle's argument in 1992.

The popularity of Malcom X Fan Club shirts in 88/89 lead to the Spike Lee film.

The Batmania of 1989 lead to Batman: The Animated Series.

Bush Sr. was still the President in 1992.

I still remember young males wearing loud pink shirts in 1992. '92 was the year of tracksuits and shell suits. Some people were wearing darker colors to give themselves a more mature look. Most people were wearing college sweatshirts and Champion gear.

1993 was the true start of the 1990's for many reasons. In early '93, Leonard Nimoy starred as himself on "The Simpsons". The Simpsons still feature special guest stars making fun of themselves to this day.The late 80's early 90's both gave birth to what is known as 1990's culture. In 1993, the first attempt at bombing the World Trade Center occurred. In retrospect, I believe that 1993 was the first year to give birth to the 2000's. The mid/late 90's gave us Pixar movies, Fox News and The start of Britney Spear's career. Before 1993, there were not any Power Rangers or Beanie Babies. Both of those properties are still with America to this very day. 1992 was also the last year when I saw one of those Whatchamacallit candy bar commercials. Those commercials have been shown since '87.

Old 02-23-2013, 01:34 PM

2,096 posts, read 3,651,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymous14 View Post
Before 1993, there were not any Power Rangers or Beanie Babies. Both of those properties are still with America to this very day. 1992 was also the last year when I saw one of those Whatchamacallit candy bar commercials. Those commercials have been shown since '87.
Cabbage Patch Kids still exist too, I don't think Beanie Babies have really been popular since the early 2000s. Power Rangers today is nothing like the original though surprisingly I think it is still somewhat popular.

Old 02-23-2013, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by belmont22 View Post
Cabbage Patch Kids still exist too, I don't think Beanie Babies have really been popular since the early 2000s. Power Rangers today is nothing like the original though surprisingly I think it is still somewhat popular.
The Cabbage Patch Kids and My Little Pony have had their on and off periods. Both of those properties were around until '95 or '96 initially. They are around today due to the 80's revival which began around 2002. It is a completely different story for the Power Rangers and Beanie Babies. The Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers were the most important group pop culturally. They have the mid-60's Batman effect to aid them. The name has never once left the shelves. They have been in space, through the jungle, and in the future but they are still popular with four year olds. Some child is being introduced to the Power Rangers of today the way children of the 90's were introduced to them. There are a few slight differences to seperate the two. You have to have Nickelodeon nowadays to watch them on. The same can be said for the Beanie Babies and Magic the Gathering. They were more popular when they were first introduced, but they still hung around in other eras.

Old 02-23-2013, 05:03 PM

584 posts, read 1,076,501 times
There were some landmark differences culturally when the 90's hit. Rap finally went mainstream with MC Hammer. In 1990, Please Hammer Don't Hurt 'Em was the first Rap album ever to go Diamond selling more than 10 million copies.

Pop Dance music exploded in 1990. There was C&C Music factory and CeCe Peninston. For a short period in 1990-1991, almost all R&B music had that dance flavor to it.

Nirvana went mainstream and killed the feminine image of hairbands that had dominated Rock music for the entirety of the 80's. In Grunge Rock culture, the early 90's became a celebration of the everyday man with everyday problems who wore ripped jeans, dirty Chuck Taylors and flannel work shirts whereas the 80's were a celebration of money, excess and pause-worthy gender-bending feminization in fashion (the latter sounds much like today). This abandonment of gaudy 80's excess and blatant materialism can also be seen in Hip Hop too as the heavy gold rope chains and medallions of Run-DMC, Big Daddy Kane and Eric B. & Rakim were replaced with the socially conscious wooden Africa medallions of De La Soul and A Tribe Called Quest in 89-91'.

1990 was a landmark year for popular television as well. The Fresh Prince of Bel Air debuted in 1990. Will Smith's clothing choices on the show from his loud colored clothes (i.e. Zubaz pants, wild printed shirts and fluorescent colored hats and shirts) to his then brand new Air Jordans were quintessentially early 90's. Another 90's defining show, Beverly Hills 90210 debuted in 1990. The Simpsons changed America in 1990. Back in 1990, The Simpsons was a highly controversial show that reflected real life in the form of a primetime cartoon show. Many children were not allowed to watch the show because Homer was a raging alcoholic and Bart was a precocious disrespectful kid. Bart Simpson became the mascot of a generation of kids. With Family Matters, the dorky but lovable character of Steve Urkel became a household name in 1990. In Living Color was an urban-flavored Saturday Night Live-esque comedy skit show that made a huge splash in 1990. Later in 1992, Martin became the face of black sitcom entertainment.

Most East Coast Hip Hop in the early 90's was thoughtful Jazz-Rap produced by the likes of A Tribe Called Quest who made songs about everything from love and lust (i.e. "Bonita Applebum") to hanging out with friends trading rhymes on a warm carefree day (i.e. "Check the Rhime", "Scenario") to serious issues like date rape and use of the n word ("Infamous Date Rape"). Other similar literate Jazz-inspired East Coast Hip Hop groups came into prominence during this time period like the seminal Gang Starr, Main Source and Pete Rock & C.L. Smooth, the latter produced one of the most beautiful heartfelt and iconic songs of the early 90's, "T.R.O.Y." a tribute to a deceased member of Heavy D. & the Boyz, Trouble T. Roy.

Slowly West Coast Gangsta Rap began to dominate the airwaves in 1991 and 1992 with Snoop and Dr. Dre. In 1991, Dr. Dre was the first Hip Hop producer to implement the sine wave synthesizer in the N.W.A. song "Alwayz N Ta Something" which would come to define the West Coast Hip Hop sound for at least a decade. This whiny wandering high pitched sound was used in almost every West Coast and Down South Gangsta Rap album for the entirety of the 90's. Even East Coast rappers like Biggie implemented the such synths on his song "Big Poppa". From about 92-94', L.A.'s Death Row records and other California based Gangsta Rap acts dominated mainstream Hip Hop sales. Their music was gangsta with an emphasis on youthful partying and having a good time (i.e. "Let Me Ride", "Gin 'N Juice"). Dr. Dre's 1992 opus The Chronic revolutionized Hip Hop production. For the rest of the 90's, every rapper from the West Coast to the Midwest to Down South and even the East Coast would blatantly try to recreate the beat production, lyrical subject matter as well as Snoop's laidback delivery present on The Chronic.

The straight forward street narratives presented in West Coast Gangsta Rap would go on to influence East Coast Rap to reflect the streets and become more hardcore. Starting in 1993, hardcore East Coast Rap groups like Wu-Tang Clan, Black Moon and later Nas, Mobb Deep and the Notorious B.I.G. emerged out of New York City with a gritty West Coast influenced yet thoroughly NYC sound that reflected what was going on in the streets as non-threatening Native-Tongues intellectual Jazz inspired Hip Hop was quickly phased out. Accordingly, loud colored clothes and Africa medallions were ditched as East Coast hardcore rappers and street kids in NYC donned rugged baggy army fatigues straight from the army surplus store, Champion hoodies, baggy blue jeans, oversized leather bomber jackets, bubble coats and Timberland boots.

Clothes began to change in the early 90's. In the urban community, pants began to get baggier in as early as about 1990 or 1991. Shirts, jackets, jeans and pants were very fitted in the late 80's as they are today. In the early 90's, rappers from Grand Puba to Ice Cube began to wear baggier shirts, pants and jackets. Watch Juice or Boyz 'N The Hood and see how the people's pants and clothes are significantly baggier than the straight slim fitting jeans of Run-DMC, N.W.A. and Public Enemy in 1988. By the mid 90's, shirts and pants were unreasonably baggy across all youth demographics from suburban kids wearing Jnco's to inner city kids wearing baggy Girbaud and Pelle Pelle jeans.

There were strange short lived clothing trends in the early 90's. Wearing overalls became fashionable in the early 90's. Another extremely short-lived trend was wearing your jeans and shirts backwards, which was popularized by the prepubescent child Rap group Kriss Kross in 1992.

Brands like Starter, which produced college and professional sports jackets, jerseys, hoodies and snapback caps, became more popular and ubiquitous in the early 90's. Popular rappers began wearing Starter jackets in their videos. Most notably, the late-great Tupac can be seen wearing a hooded UNLV Rebels Starter jacket in the 1991 video for "Brenda's Got a Baby". Almost every kid in elementary school through high school owned a Starter jacket in 91-93'. Around 91' and 92', there was a surge of violence over Starter jackets across the country as kids were be robbed of their expensive sports team jackets valued at anywhere from $100-200. It got so bad that the police in Chicago created a new crime category called "Starter jacket murders". The recent robberies over Air Jordans are not new either. Robberies and murders over Air Jordans were also commonplace in the early 90's.

Jet - Google Books

http://articles.baltimoresun.com/199...-columbia-mall

http://chucksconnection.com/articles...your-life.html

Last edited by LunaticVillage; 02-23-2013 at 06:05 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or