U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2013, 10:57 PM

2,096 posts, read 3,651,393 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymous14 View Post
The Cabbage Patch Kids and My Little Pony have had their on and off periods. Both of those properties were around until '95 or '96 initially. They are around today due to the 80's revival which began around 2002. It is a completely different story for the Power Rangers and Beanie Babies. The Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers were the most important group pop culturally. They have the mid-60's Batman effect to aid them. The name has never once left the shelves. They have been in space, through the jungle, and in the future but they are still popular with four year olds. Some child is being introduced to the Power Rangers of today the way children of the 90's were introduced to them. There are a few slight differences to seperate the two. You have to have Nickelodeon nowadays to watch them on. The same can be said for the Beanie Babies and Magic the Gathering. They were more popular when they were first introduced, but they still hung around in other eras.
Cabbage Patch Kids have continuously been in production actually, though by 1987-88 their popularity was waning and since '88 they've been made by a different company.

I think you're wrong about Beanie Babies and Power Rangers, idk about Magic but the former two simply aren't nearly as landmark as they were in the 90s. Every kid in the 90s loved Power Rangers, I mean sure it still exists now (like Cabbage Patch and MLP) but it's decidedly retro.

Beanie Babies faded around 2001, about the same time the dot com bubble did. They were popular largely because of economic speculation, everyone thought they were gonna be worth a fortune for their rarity but turns out they were more common than people thought.

Today they aren't any more relevant than Cabbage Patch kids.

Old 02-24-2013, 12:10 AM

126 posts, read 375,054 times
Default I LIVED the Early 90's!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LunaticVillage View Post
There were some landmark differences culturally when the 90's hit. Rap finally went mainstream with MC Hammer. In 1990, Please Hammer Don't Hurt 'Em was the first Rap album ever to go Diamond selling more than 10 million copies.

Pop Dance music exploded in 1990. There was C&C Music factory and CeCe Peninston. For a short period in 1990-1991, almost all R&B music had that dance flavor to it.

Nirvana went mainstream and killed the feminine image of hairbands that had dominated Rock music for the entirety of the 80's. In Grunge Rock culture, the early 90's became a celebration of the everyday man with everyday problems who wore ripped jeans, dirty Chuck Taylors and flannel work shirts whereas the 80's were a celebration of money, excess and pause-worthy gender-bending feminization in fashion (the latter sounds much like today). This abandonment of gaudy 80's excess and blatant materialism can also be seen in Hip Hop too as the heavy gold rope chains and medallions of Run-DMC, Big Daddy Kane and Eric B. & Rakim were replaced with the socially conscious wooden Africa medallions of De La Soul and A Tribe Called Quest in 89-91'.

1990 was a landmark year for popular television as well. The Fresh Prince of Bel Air debuted in 1990. Will Smith's clothing choices on the show from his loud colored clothes (i.e. Zubaz pants, wild printed shirts and fluorescent colored hats and shirts) to his then brand new Air Jordans were quintessentially early 90's. Another 90's defining show, Beverly Hills 90210 debuted in 1990. The Simpsons changed America in 1990. Back in 1990, The Simpsons was a highly controversial show that reflected real life in the form of a primetime cartoon show. Many children were not allowed to watch the show because Homer was a raging alcoholic and Bart was a precocious disrespectful kid. Bart Simpson became the mascot of a generation of kids. With Family Matters, the dorky but lovable character of Steve Urkel became a household name in 1990. In Living Color was an urban-flavored Saturday Night Live-esque comedy skit show that made a huge splash in 1990. Later in 1992, Martin became the face of black sitcom entertainment.

Most East Coast Hip Hop in the early 90's was thoughtful Jazz-Rap produced by the likes of A Tribe Called Quest who made songs about everything from love and lust (i.e. "Bonita Applebum") to hanging out with friends trading rhymes on a warm carefree day (i.e. "Check the Rhime", "Scenario") to serious issues like date rape and use of the n word ("Infamous Date Rape"). Other similar literate Jazz-inspired East Coast Hip Hop groups came into prominence during this time period like the seminal Gang Starr, Main Source and Pete Rock & C.L. Smooth, the latter produced one of the most beautiful heartfelt and iconic songs of the early 90's, "T.R.O.Y." a tribute to a deceased member of Heavy D. & the Boyz, Trouble T. Roy.

Slowly West Coast Gangsta Rap began to dominate the airwaves in 1991 and 1992 with Snoop and Dr. Dre. In 1991, Dr. Dre was the first Hip Hop producer to implement the sine wave synthesizer in the N.W.A. song "Alwayz N Ta Something" which would come to define the West Coast Hip Hop sound for at least a decade. This whiny wandering high pitched sound was used in almost every West Coast and Down South Gangsta Rap album for the entirety of the 90's. Even East Coast rappers like Biggie implemented the such synths on his song "Big Poppa". From about 92-94', L.A.'s Death Row records and other California based Gangsta Rap acts dominated mainstream Hip Hop sales. Their music was gangsta with an emphasis on youthful partying and having a good time (i.e. "Let Me Ride", "Gin 'N Juice"). Dr. Dre's 1992 opus The Chronic revolutionized Hip Hop production. For the rest of the 90's, every rapper from the West Coast to the Midwest to Down South and even the East Coast would blatantly try to recreate the beat production, lyrical subject matter as well as Snoop's laidback delivery present on The Chronic.

The straight forward street narratives presented in West Coast Gangsta Rap would go on to influence East Coast Rap to reflect the streets and become more hardcore. Starting in 1993, hardcore East Coast Rap groups like Wu-Tang Clan, Black Moon and later Nas, Mobb Deep and the Notorious B.I.G. emerged out of New York City with a gritty West Coast influenced yet thoroughly NYC sound that reflected what was going on in the streets as non-threatening Native-Tongues intellectual Jazz inspired Hip Hop was quickly phased out. Accordingly, loud colored clothes and Africa medallions were ditched as East Coast hardcore rappers and street kids in NYC donned rugged baggy army fatigues straight from the army surplus store, Champion hoodies, baggy blue jeans, oversized leather bomber jackets, bubble coats and Timberland boots.

Clothes began to change in the early 90's. In the urban community, pants began to get baggier in as early as about 1990 or 1991. Shirts, jackets, jeans and pants were very fitted in the late 80's as they are today. In the early 90's, rappers from Grand Puba to Ice Cube began to wear baggier shirts, pants and jackets. Watch Juice or Boyz 'N The Hood and see how the people's pants and clothes are significantly baggier than the straight slim fitting jeans of Run-DMC, N.W.A. and Public Enemy in 1988. By the mid 90's, shirts and pants were unreasonably baggy across all youth demographics from suburban kids wearing Jnco's to inner city kids wearing baggy Girbaud and Pelle Pelle jeans.

There were strange short lived clothing trends in the early 90's. Wearing overalls became fashionable in the early 90's. Another extremely short-lived trend was wearing your jeans and shirts backwards, which was popularized by the prepubescent child Rap group Kriss Kross in 1992.

Brands like Starter, which produced college and professional sports jackets, jerseys, hoodies and snapback caps, became more popular and ubiquitous in the early 90's. Popular rappers began wearing Starter jackets in their videos. Most notably, the late-great Tupac can be seen wearing a hooded UNLV Rebels Starter jacket in the 1991 video for "Brenda's Got a Baby". Almost every kid in elementary school through high school owned a Starter jacket in 91-93'. Around 91' and 92', there was a surge of violence over Starter jackets across the country as kids were be robbed of their expensive sports team jackets valued at anywhere from $100-200. It got so bad that the police in Chicago created a new crime category called "Starter jacket murders". The recent robberies over Air Jordans are not new either. Robberies and murders over Air Jordans were also commonplace in the early 90's.

Jet - Google Books

Starter Jackets And Robberies | Are teens dressed for danger? 'Starter' jackets linked to violence - Baltimore Sun

Your Sneakers or Your Life

Most of that statement is rather true. MC Hammer got his start in 1988 though. Please Hammer Don't Hurt 'Em is far more memorable than his first album, in my opinion. His popularity was a sign of "late 80's introductions becoming more mainstream".

I wonder if people in late '87 thought of Shake Your Love by Debbie Gibson as pop dance music. The very early 90's were an interesting time for R&B. There was Quiet Storm, New Jack Swing and quite a lot of slow jams.

Nirvana did not destroy the image of hair metal automatically. Mr. Big went to number one with "To Be With You" shortly after Nirvana's time on the charts. There was even a Motley Crue video game in '92. Flannel was a very 1994 thing. My So Called Life even debuted in the fall of that year. I think of '93-'96 as mid-90's anyway, but some people look at those years as numbers. The numbers "3" and "4" appear rather early on in the numerical charts. I remember ripped jeans and Cons (or Docs) being as popular as early as '88-'89 (esp. '89). People did not wear as many shirts with logos on them in the late 80's. The style of the late 80's was still kinda in the vein of the late late 70's dress code. In the real 1992, people wore shirts with the Bongo Jeans logo on them.

I would not really call all of the 1980's a period of money celebration, excess and pause-worthy gender-bending feminization in fashion. Those were really the Reagan 80's, not the Carter or Bush 80's. I do remember the wooden African medallions. Those were awesome! They were first sold in '87 or '88. The African immigrants were making them and selling them. Do the Right Thing was filmed in 1988. The heavy gold rope chains and medallions were looking like a thing of the past as early as late '88. Those were replaced by thinner chains around those times.

The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air was the underground voice for the late 1980's. People in urban neighborhoods were a lot angrier from '87 to '89. Dallas,The Cosby Show, Dynasty, and Falcon Crest did not speak for them. They were realizing more and more that the Reagan administration did nothing for them as Americans. The popularity of Roseanne and Married with Children in '89 paved the Fresh Prince of Bel-Air. Yes, a lot of 90's defining shows first aired in the late 80's and early 1990's (1987-1992, to be exact). Many of those shows lasted well into the actual Clinton 90's and 2000's.

People did not react to The Simpsons in a very 90's way when it was new. There was a lot of criticism over those primetime toons. At the time, there were many Televangelists to give "the elders" some guidance. They thought The Flintstones were better for children to watch. There is a complete difference when the popularity of Bart Simpson is compared to that of Cartman from South Park. South Park aired when the 90's were almost over. You did not see many elders doing anything about it then. The Simpsons were also another "late 80's introduction that went mainstream". The plots of the Simpsons cartoons of 1990 did not stay like that throughout the 1990's. The shorts of the late 80's and the full length episodes of the early 90's focused more on the family. I have even known "90's kids" to say that they do not care about the oldest episodes. The animation was too crude for them to look at. Ha! At the time, people did not know if The Simpsons were even going to be around for long.

Urkel of Family Matters became a household name in 1991. That show did do well in the fall '90 - spring of '91 season. It was more of a 1991 thing. Urkel-O's were introduced in the fall of '91. I still remember that after all of these years. There was far more urban entertainment in the early 90's, that much is true. The late 80's were always headed in that direction. You can look at some of the movies from '87 to '89. Hollywood Shuffle exposed how plastic Hollywood became in the mid-80's.

Gangsta rap was yet another "late 80's introduction that became big over time". I would argue that '89-'93 was a mixed area for rap music. Those years were all part of the golden era (which lasted from '88 to '93). The members of N.W.A. did make magazine covers in 1989. It would be only a matter of time before others followed suit. The usage of the sine wave synthesizer was an example of 90's culture being born in the late 80's/early 90's. The very early 90's are different from the rest of the 1990's still in many ways. Those years only gave birth to stuff that seems 90's to us. 1993-1999 provided the groundwork for the 2000's to come in. 1993 was the true start of the 1990's. The core 90's started in '93. Everything was hardcore in that period. EXTREME!!!

I remember Z. Cavs (pleated pants)/ Girbauds/and Hugo Boss being the pants of choice from '89 to '93. Sweaters in the late 80's were not that fitted. There were plenty of over-sized sweaters then. JAMS pants of '87 were not fitted either. I do not remember many baggy jeans in the very early 90's. 1988-1992 was when people tight rolled their jeans. The simplicity left over from the 70's was starting to wane from late '87-1993. The clothing was extremely baggy from '94 to '99.

I remember people wearing overalls in the late 80's too. Overalls took off once Jordan Knight (New Kids) began wearing them in 1990. Acid wash Guess overalls were a huge hit in '91. You had to wear them with one strap hanging down. I loved the clothing trends of the early 90's. Shirt clips, fanny packs,wrist packs, Hypercolor and Skidz pants. It's funny how the "strangest" trends stay with people after all of those years.

I remember the materialism in early 90's like it was just yesterday. All of that changed in 1993 for the worst. You started to see more and more families shopping at the Salvation Army for clothes. 70's leather jackets were being sold at Salvation Army back then. The 80's were definitely gone in 1993, not by '93. I admit, there was a grim side to it all. People began killing and robbing for Jordans starting in '89. Gangs in schools/Crack Dealing/Race Wars/ School Shootings/ The Dark Side to Materialism were all subjects that news groups explored from '89-'93. No time is perfect, unfortunately.

The late 80's were different from the early 90's in some ways...

1987-1989 had Pictionary popularity, Pogo Balls, Burples, Avoid the Noid popularity, ALF popularity, Crazy Eddie still, Dr. Feelgood (the last real 80's Motley Crue album), a great deal of Oprah drama, and the popularity of the Ghostbusters/Rambo.

1990-1992 had the popularity of the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Super Soaker 100, Cadbury Easter Egg commercial (that still airs to this day), Mainstream rap music (Vanilla Ice), Cross Colours popularity, more personal computers in homes, the first season of The Real World, and Tiny Toon Adventures (the first new Warner Brothers cartoon in ages).

1987-1992 altogether had Guns N Roses, Soundgarden, U2, Lethal Weapon movies, dance music, freestyle, Full House, Robocop, Harry and the Hendersons, the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles cartoon, Bobby Brown, Al B. Sure, the Cheers episodes with Rebecca in them, movies with evil dolls, die Yuppie Scum die attitude and INXS.

Most people see this as an era to itself. I would have to agree with them on that.

To Be with You - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Scan the Contents
Run DMC Tougher Than Leather UK vinyl LP album (LP record) (245305) - The straight leg jeans of the 70's/80's got a little baggier by the late 80's.

Crue Ball Sega Genesis 1992 100 Complete Motley Crue 014633070729 | eBay

Jet Magazine June 3 1991 Urkel Wins Big Laughs Success on Sitcom 'Family Matt | eBay

In America's cities, kids are killing kids over sneakers - 05.14.90 - SI Vault

My So-Called Life - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 02-24-2013, 02:51 AM

770 posts, read 1,486,752 times
No

Old 02-25-2013, 10:21 AM

9,816 posts, read 19,014,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by belmont22 View Post
Beanie Babies faded around 2001, about the same time the dot com bubble did. They were popular largely because of economic speculation, everyone thought they were gonna be worth a fortune for their rarity but turns out they were more common than people thought.

Today they aren't any more relevant than Cabbage Patch kids.
I remember back around 1998 when I started selling on ebay, beanie babies were of course big then and they even had a beanie baby "stock market" that tracked prices. What I remember was the tag freaks who were obsessed with the condition of the tags. Now those stupid things are just about worthless.

Old 04-23-2013, 09:58 PM

15 posts, read 24,017 times
You never realize style changes until a couple of years after.

Most of the early 90s felt like the late 80s.

Hi top fades were still popular. New jack swing music was still popular and actually getting more popular.

The first early 90s fads I remember we're the mc hammer pants which were actually from the 80s but I don't remember any normal people wearing them in the 80s but many people wore them in the early 90s. In the 80s people wore their pants a little tighter generally.

Another fad was bibs or overalls that were airbrushed.

And then the slap on bracelet. Popular middle school fad.

I was 11 years old then. 1990

But yeah 92-93 their was a definite change in music and dress. Gangsta rap which started in the 80s became hugely popular in the early 90s and it actually became stylish to dress gangsta. Sagging pants, dickies, snoop style braids and stuff. It was cool because right before then the more styles were expensive to maintain but gangsta dress was very affordable. And by like 94 i would probably look at someone funny if they were rocking a hi top fade. I remember a style became popular that was somewhat of an Afro. Some people put curls in it. Not a Jheri curl like the 80s which was dead but something kind of like early Puff Daddy. Bald head also was popular since Jordan, R Kelley and others were popular but I am starting to get more mid 90s now.

But to me I never realize a fad is going on until its over and I reflect back. I couldn't tell much difference between 2000 and 1999 for example.

Last edited by jlgrimes11; 04-23-2013 at 10:07 PM..

Old 04-23-2013, 10:20 PM

1,419 posts, read 1,462,757 times
For me, the thing that seems most distinct about the early 90s in contrast with the late 80s is that there was a very noticeable presence of horrible fluorescent clothing colors and awful male hairstyles inspired by Vanilla Ice and other pop culture plagues.

Old 04-24-2013, 01:20 AM

53 posts, read 80,803 times
Guns'n Roses was the glue that held together the 80`s and 90`s.

Old 04-24-2013, 07:23 AM

11,352 posts, read 7,399,724 times
Interesting. Most people define the era in question in terms of pop culture. I never followed pop culture. I'm 68, and even when I was a kid I couldn't name 6 bands or rock groups. And that never changed. I still can't. Don't care.

But, politically? Oh, yeah. There was a difference between the 80's and the 90's Reagan breathed new life into a country that had put up with the nonsense that was Jimmy Carter. We almost (but not quite) celebrated in the streets when he was elected in 1980 and then we all went back to work. Things were great, for the most part! It sort of got ahead of itself and created a crash in 87, but none of us were looking for a job for long. Got regular raises, too.
Then Bush 41 took the job and we kicked some serious butt in Iraq. Flags were waved.

The 90's. Clinton was a disaster. He served 2 terms and never did get 50% of the vote. People felt he was sneaky, sly, very bright, and somehow slippery. He taught every sixth grader in the nation what oral sex was. To this day, I hear from my daughter, the teacher, how oral sex is not considered real sex by high schoolers.
It was one crisis after another. The country assumed the attitude of anything goes as long as it makes you feel good. The President does such and such, why can't I?
And the thing is, the dot com craze gave us a false sense of success! Everyone I knew was just covered up in money. Our 401K's went into outer space, there was a budget surplus, and Clinton (wisely) took credit for it.
But in 99 it began to fall apart. Just as Clinton left, it really began to tumble.
But that was 2000...........

Old 04-24-2013, 12:06 PM

1,241 posts, read 3,598,329 times
The 1990s were a disaster? No they were great up until around 2000. Early 1990s were like the 1980s up until 1993. 1994 was a traditional year until 1995 when the economy took off. It was falling interest rates the tax cut on capital gains in 1997 that is conviently forgotten about by the media.
But the mid - late 1990s were the last good era. Now everyone seems always angry, agitated, incredibly paranoid and hostile.

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk 2

Old 04-24-2013, 12:10 PM

1,241 posts, read 3,598,329 times
The dot com craze gave everyone a false feeling of success? I thought it was the easy credit of the 2000s with housing as an investment that never goes down because 'everyone wants to live here' and the consumerism bubble and hedonistic optimism brought on by the previous fed chairman.

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk 2
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or