Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2012, 09:40 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,670,889 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet Jones View Post
This was covered in one of my business law classes in the early 90s. How did these idiots mistake dish washing detergent for lemon flavoring? They could not read. Simple as that. Since the packaging was no longer in the context of a clean product, it was deemed to be a liability as it was dangerous to illiterate people. No, I'm not making this up.
You receive something in the mail. Nowhere does it tell you to eat it. But you eat it. Then you SUE them because YOU ate it? Whether you can read or not, you don't eat something when you don't know what it is. These people were idiots.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2012, 10:24 PM

6,104 posts, read 5,988,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by P47P47 View Post
I got a Mattel "Thingmaker" (Creepy Crawlers) for Christmas in 3rd grade.

The chemistry set that I also received that year contained a vial of sodium cyanide solution.

Never could figure out what was the big deal about "sniffing" glue when I was constantly inhaling those fumes while assembling models. Only later did i find out that "sniffing" referred to dumping the entire contents of the glue tube into a paper bag and inhaling deeply and repeatedly. Much different than the actual sniffs that occurred while putting together the PT 109.

Those old chemistry sets were especially dangerous in the hands of young minds who could and did make explosive compunds like potassium perchlorate or once coated the ends of toothpicks with a mixture of sulphur and parafin (wax). The later substance when burned gave hydrogen sulphide (rooten eggs smell) . A friend of mine put those little bits of wood into his mothers cigarettes. When she smoked one later that day it was hard keeping a straight face when she exclaimed that something was really wrong with that smoke and said that the smoke really tasted foul. Stuff like this really made science fun.

Old 11-28-2012, 09:08 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,886,374 times
OMG I just remembered this jewel from my childhood!

As a family, we loved to go on camping vacations - sort of the Route 66 thing.

My dad bought a pickup truck and put a pickup shell on the back. Then he laid a piece of thick plywood across the back half of the bed - between the shell and the top of the truck body, creating a sort of bed on top and storage below. Then he carpeted the floor of the truck bed in indoor/outdoor carpet, and put a thick layer of foam on the top of that shelf and put a sheet over that and a comforter.

That's where us kids rode on trips. Yes. In the back of that pimped out truck. No A/C, and no seatbelts. But we thought it was the coolest thing - until we had to go to the bathroom and we couldn't get my parents' attention!

Old 11-28-2012, 09:58 AM

5,479 posts, read 12,261,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
You receive something in the mail. Nowhere does it tell you to eat it. But you eat it. Then you SUE them because YOU ate it? Whether you can read or not, you don't eat something when you don't know what it is. These people were idiots.
And yet in our litigious society, it is allowed to happen and the dimwits with no intelligence or sense of personal responsibility see a winning lotto ticket in the making.

True story from earlier post. In grade school I fell from the monkey bars and landed on my elbow. I broke it (again). Few weeks later the assistant principal sees my Mom at a school function and says, "hello Mrs. ______. I'm surprised I haven't heard from your attorney." My Mom, surprised by his statement says, "Why would you hear from our attorney?" He says, "Because of the accident with your son." My Mom, says, he is a boy and was not careful and was clumsy. How is this your fault?" The next school year the school had installed rubber mats over the asphalt and under all the play equipment to cushion falls. The automatic response some have (too many) of, "I have no responsibility and it it is your/someones fault" is disgusting. Obviously there are shoddy or careless practices or products, that harm or kill people. I'm all for legal consequences in these cases. But there are too many mind blowingly stupid cases that are allowed to come to trial.

Old 11-30-2012, 10:31 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,886,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cubssoxfan View Post
And yet in our litigious society, it is allowed to happen and the dimwits with no intelligence or sense of personal responsibility see a winning lotto ticket in the making.

True story from earlier post. In grade school I fell from the monkey bars and landed on my elbow. I broke it (again). Few weeks later the assistant principal sees my Mom at a school function and says, "hello Mrs. ______. I'm surprised I haven't heard from your attorney." My Mom, surprised by his statement says, "Why would you hear from our attorney?" He says, "Because of the accident with your son." My Mom, says, he is a boy and was not careful and was clumsy. How is this your fault?" The next school year the school had installed rubber mats over the asphalt and under all the play equipment to cushion falls. The automatic response some have (too many) of, "I have no responsibility and it it is your/someones fault" is disgusting. Obviously there are shoddy or careless practices or products, that harm or kill people. I'm all for legal consequences in these cases. But there are too many mind blowingly stupid cases that are allowed to come to trial.
You are so right. It would never occur to me to sue someone over something like you described - but sadly that's not the case with many people.

Old 11-30-2012, 10:56 AM

41,958 posts, read 75,174,114 times
The Thingmaker!

I'd spend weeks' and weeks' worth of allowance on PlastiGoop. My first addiction. Fun Flowers, Fright Factory, and Creeple People. It didn't get much better than that!

Incredible Edibles were gross, though. We gave up on that right quick and spent our money on candy at the dime store if we wanted sweet stuff.

Old 11-30-2012, 05:12 PM

1,946 posts, read 7,373,198 times
I used to love the Teeter-Totter at the park, even as an older "child", teenager. Loved to get someone way up high and then slam them down. Fun to get slammed down in return!! Also, the Merry - Go - Round, and the Giant slide.

Old 12-02-2012, 08:13 PM

14,400 posts, read 14,295,538 times
Quote:

One can certainly argue whether litigation ought to follow a situation where a child is injured like this. However, do you see any problem with a school putting playground equipment over asphalt? I hope you do.

Looking back on it, I'm honestly surprised at how absolutely dimwitted many of the people who installed monkey bars and climbing apparatus for children over a hard surface like asphalt or even concrete. Broken arms? I wonder how many broken skulls there were with brain injuries.

You can whine all you want to about a "litigious society". If that's what it took to end some of that crap, I'm grateful it happened. Is there too much of it? Yes. Are there too many lawyers? Probably. Was this process necessary to end a lot of the BS we dealt with forty or fifty years ago? Hell yes.

Old 12-03-2012, 02:29 PM

9,238 posts, read 22,894,483 times
Remember Super-Lastic Bubble Plastic? It was this weird colorful stuff in a tube that you would squirt out onto a straw and blow it up into big balloons/bubbles. The thing was, at least in the 70s, it had a really strong chemical smell, and we would always smell it, breathing it in, saying "I love the smell!" We had no idea what "huffing" was, just that this stuff smelled so good, we couldn't stop sniffing it.
Then we'd get splitting headaches and not know why. I'm sure we all lost lots of brain cells.

There was a new "brought back" version of it a couple years ago, and my sister bought it for old time's sake. It DID NOT smell the same.

Old 12-03-2012, 02:41 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,113,519 times
Does Whamo! still make those "Slip n' Slide" things? We had one when I was a kid in the sixties and they were great for kids. The problem arose when adults would get all entranced and decide that they wanted to take a crack at it. In that you are primarily taking a run and then diving onto the ground, being little and lightweight was a virtue, you didn't break anything. When a full weight adult tries this, you get different outcomes. I had an aunt who spazzed out in her try and wound up twisting her ankle pretty badly, and an older cousin who flew off the side and wound up with chest abrasions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History