Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2012, 10:14 PM

7,639 posts, read 18,121,762 times

Advertisements

When did you send your...

First e-mail?

First instant message (NOT text / SMS message, nor chat room submission!)?

First text / SMS message?

First picture / MMS message?

First video chat?

I was born in 1986. For me, my first e-mail was probably in 1995, when I got my first computer as well as connected to CompuServe. Did CompuServe let you send e-mails on the general internet? Otherwise, it was no later than 1996, when I also made my USENET debut. I was, by far, the youngest user of most of the newsgroups I frequented, and my lack of grammar and occasional typing in all caps raised eyes, but I was always assumed to be about twice my age.

My first instant message was probably in 1995 with CompuServe CB and in 1996 with AOL, although I did not start using instant messaging seriously until 1999, when I downloaded ICQ. I had a lot of interesting chats with different random people...a couple of graffiti artists in Brooklyn, an automotive engineer in Illinois, a student in Egypt. Back then, the internet seemed to be a more open place. I downloaded AOL Instant Messenger in about the middle of seventh grade (early 2000) and spent the following summer in my room talking to schoolmates.

I was a regular on certain AOL chat rooms in 1996, and again on IRC chat rooms in 1997.

My first text message was rather late...at some time during my senior year (04-05). I did not have much of a social life, and my new cell phone my parents bought for me so I would be in touch with them when I was driving would not connect to the digital network (hence forcing me to use the then-dying analog network) for a few months. I sent my first MMS message soon after, as my phone had a little 0.3 MP camera, probably to my seven years' younger sister, who had her own cell phone before I did.

My first video chat was in 2010 over Facebook's network. Interestingly, my computer in 1996 came with videoconferencing software (VDO), and I could plug in my camera to my TV card. I'm sure that would have been like 1 frame per minute over my 28.8k modem I had then.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2012, 07:33 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,954,125 times
First e-mail? 1994 through Tallahassee Freenet, DOS text-based browser, long-distance toll dialup. It was, literally, faster than what I get on cable high-speed service today. When Ebay came, I was still on text freenet, and it was fast enough to snipe bidders using Windows.

First instant message Maybe about 1999, when Yahoo introduced it

First text / SMS message? What does SMS stand for? I still don't have a cell phone, if it's associated with that.

First video chat? Never.

Last edited by jtur88; 12-03-2012 at 07:53 AM..

Old 12-03-2012, 10:14 AM

23,596 posts, read 70,391,434 times
First e-mail?

Lordy, don't remember. Dial-up BBSs don't much count. 1983 on those, probably about 1990 on the web though Compuserve

Never. Found the concept silly. Wasn't much on passing notes in school either.

On a cell phone? Never. Pagers, I remember having pagers where people would use codes instead of entering dialback numbers. I had to wear pagers for a number of years and HATED them.

Never.

First video chat?

Played around with it back in 1995, but quality was horrible and crashes common. Tried Skype a couple years back and found it was using up my limited satellite bandwidth in the background, and dumped it within a day. Just last month started using Google hangout on my high speed satellite connection. FINALLY - something that WORKS.

Old 12-03-2012, 03:20 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,810,657 times
My first email was on Prodigy in the mid 90's My first IM was last year at work. I still haven't sent at text (I don't have nor want a cellphone) and I don't even know what a MMS is.

Here's a picture of me :

Old 12-06-2012, 02:44 PM

44,353 posts, read 20,056,503 times
When did you send your...

First e-mail? My first e-mail was in the mid-90s, when my employer first set up e-mail for us. My first e-mail from home was in March of 1998, when I bought my first PC.

First instant message (NOT text / SMS message, nor chat room submission!)? I've only done this a few times, and it was a couple of years ago.

First text / SMS message? I have no idea what SMS means. I rarely text, but sent my first text message in January 2010.

First picture / MMS message? I have no idea what MMS means. I don't have a phone that takes or receives photos. I believe the first time I sent someone a photo in an e-mail message from my PC was in January 2010.

First video chat? Haven't tried this yet. I bought a new laptop a few months ago that has Skype capabilities, but I've not had the time yet to try it. Hopefully will do that soon!

Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.

Old 12-06-2012, 02:52 PM

1,458 posts, read 2,658,418 times
Erm... email and IM around 2000. I did use Netscape Navigator on the PCs at school before that, though, just never communicated. Boy did I catch up fast.

Texting around 2005.

I don't video chat.

Old 12-07-2012, 05:34 AM

5,289 posts, read 7,487,281 times
Hey this is fun...

Born in 83....

Email - I remember having a prodigy account in what I can estimate to be about 1993. I remember you actual had more than one 'page' after like 300 words. Haha what a relic.

IM - I still remember my first AIM conversation on a friends computer. Must have been about 95/96 and we used it to flirt with a girl that we didnt know (I could even tell you her username to this day, but who knows maybe she is one of the 5 people out there still using AIM, I wouldnt want to out her).

Texting - winter of 2000. I had that nokia phone, that everyone had and we would send like 2-3 word texts top. This was before T9 or god forbid phones with full keyboards so texting really, really sucked back then.

Picture Message - this is the only one I truly have no idea. I do remember my first color phone though, it was a clunky nextel in 2004!

Vidoe Chat - I think the first time I skyped was in 2009 when my brother in law was stationed in Iraq. I think I was late to that party though.

Old 12-07-2012, 08:33 AM

750 posts, read 907,435 times
Email - 2003
SMS -2008
Instant masseges, MMS, Videochat - never.

Old 12-08-2012, 12:02 AM

3,493 posts, read 4,671,477 times
First e-mail? 11

First instant message (NOT text / SMS message, nor chat room submission!)? 15

First text / SMS message? 14

First picture / MMS message? 15

First video chat? 17

Old 12-21-2012, 05:18 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,047,835 times
First e-mail?

We got the internet in either 1995 or 1996. I can't remember exactly when I sent my first e-mail, but it was probably sometime after this, like in the late 90s.

I had ICQ around 2000 or so, and did chat a little bit with some random people and a few contacts. I only really started using IM regularly when i got MSN messenger around 2002 or so.

Well I got my first mobile phone in 2003, but probably sent at least one text message sometime earlier.

In 2003, I have a Nokia 3650 smartphone, the one with the circular keypad lol.

First video chat?

On Skype around 2006 I think.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History