U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old Today, 07:30 PM

1,441 posts, read 694,457 times

Advertisements

My parents were born in the early 1900s. They bathed once a week, but they didn't stink, because they washed daily over a bowl using a pitcher of water, called spit baths. (I believe the first deodorant was marketed by then, but I don't know if they used it.) The reason they bathed only once a week was because they didn't have a water heater and had to heat pots of water on a wood stove, which would have been quite a chore to do every day.

We grew up the same way on the farm, with a bath once a week in a galvanized washtub after heating pots of water on the wood stove. During the week, we took spit baths and, of course, we had deodorant by then. Eventually we had a water heater and bathtub installed and no longer needed spit baths. Running hot water was quite a luxury to us.

Anyway, my point is that people who bathed once a week normally washed at the sink or bowl daily.
Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or