U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2012, 02:07 PM

980 posts, read 541,524 times

Advertisements

The Ulster-Scots (or Scots-Irish) were in the vanguard of the making of America and the opening up of the frontier and were known by some as God's Frontiersmen. Andrew Jackson,Davy Crockett,Kit Carson,Sam Houston were just a few from this stock. They gave at least 14 Presidents to the United States and help frame,sign and print the Declaration of Independence. They were too in the forefront of the War of Independence.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2012, 06:55 AM

14,131 posts, read 26,250,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulsterman View Post
The Ulster-Scots (or Scots-Irish) were in the vanguard of the making of America and the opening up of the frontier and were known by some as God's Frontiersmen. Andrew Jackson,Davy Crockett,Kit Carson,Sam Houston were just a few from this stock. They gave at least 14 Presidents to the United States and help frame,sign and print the Declaration of Independence. They were too in the forefront of the War of Independence.
On the flip-side many became poor Appalachian hillbillies.

Old 12-30-2012, 08:34 AM

11,987 posts, read 10,680,497 times
James Webb wrote a great book on the Ulster-Scots, Born Fighting. Anyone interested in this topic should check it out.

Old 12-30-2012, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
On the flip-side many became poor Appalachian hillbillies.
Yes,very true. They covered a broad spectrum,from lawyers,ministers to frontiersmen and hill-billies. Don't know if you've read James Webb's book 'Born Fighting' but it gives a fairly reasonable account of the Ulster-Scots.

The first ship bound for the New World left Groomsport in 1636 but had to turn back due to the weather. The usual way was that whole church congregations led by their minister set sail and in the case of the Eagle's Wing (name of the ship) this was one of the reasons for turning back - it wasn't God's will that they should carry on. The first succesful ship sailed from Larne in 1717 (think it was)

Old 12-30-2012, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
James Webb wrote a great book on the Ulster-Scots, Born Fighting. Anyone interested in this topic should check it out.
Posts crossed over there I think. Yes,I have the book and its a good read for anyone interested in finding out more about the Ulster-Scots. The second part of his book is mostly about his own folks in America and their part in the Civil War. They were on the Confederate side.

Here are three links. One of them is Ulster based (i think) the other two are of James Webb, one in which he gives a bit of a talk about his book.

[SIZE=3][SIZE=3]http://www.myspace.com/scots_irish[/SIZE][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]

[SIZE=3][SIZE=3]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ok8k8NVuDnM[/SIZE][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][SIZE=3]http://www.c-spanvideo.org/program/184077-1[/SIZE][/SIZE]

Old 12-30-2012, 01:09 PM

Webb is one of my senators (for a few more days) but I've not yet read it. I think I will though. My Ulster-Scot ancestors, the Alfords from Monaghan, arrived here in Virginia in the mid-18th century and settled in the Shenandoah Valley and counties now part of West Virginia. They were weavers and tailors and were patriots during the Revolution.

Old 12-30-2012, 01:23 PM

Cava. There is another book called 'God's Frontiersmen' Its hard to get but not impossible I would think. I call it the 'bible' of the Ulster-Scots. Its almost magazine size and has a lot of pictures as well as a lot of reading. One of those who's story is told in it is a weaver from Ulster called McCullough. I'll see if I can find out anything else about him. There is also a video based on the book and I remember seeing a part in it where a man in America (might have been Virginia) had McCullough's diary.

A couple of other books worth a mention are 'Ulster Sails West' and 'The People With No Name' There are quite a few others out there and some of them are by Billy Kennedy who travels to the USA frequently to give talks to different groups about the Ulster-Scots in America.

Old 12-30-2012, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulsterman View Post
Cava. There is another book called 'God's Frontiersmen' Its hard to get but not impossible I would think. I call it the 'bible' of the Ulster-Scots. Its almost magazine size and has a lot of pictures as well as a lot of reading. One of those who's story is told in it is a weaver from Ulster called McCullough. I'll see if I can find out anything else about him. There is also a video based on the book and I remember seeing a part in it where a man in America (might have been Virginia) had McCullough's diary.

A couple of other books worth a mention are 'Ulster Sails West' and 'The People With No Name' There are quite a few others out there and some of them are by Billy Kennedy who travels to the USA frequently to give talks to different groups about the Ulster-Scots in America.
I found some copies of God's Frontiersmen on Abe Books. Gotta decide if I want to spend the $20 right now.

Old 12-30-2012, 01:50 PM

Cava 'God's Frontiersmen' is on Amazon (used for $28) Only one customer review and he doesn't think it so great. But thats only one person and maybe its because it covers the Ulster-Scots in Canada,Australia and New Zealand as well as America. But America is the main part of the book.
Amazon.com: Buying Choices: God's Frontiersmen: The Scots Irish Epic

Old 12-30-2012, 01:52 PM

Crossed over posts there Cav. As I say I thought it was the best of the bunch but maybe I'm out of touch. ha
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or