Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2013, 06:00 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,933,513 times

Advertisements

Some more GWTW names:

Stuart and Brent (the Tarleton Twins)
Belle (Belle Watling)
Suellen (Scarlett's younger sister)
Carreen (Scarlett's youngest sister)
Wade (Scarlett's son - named after Gen. Wade Hampton)
Bonnie Blue (Scarlett's younger daughter - very Confederate: Hooray for The Bonnie Blue Flag!)

Some state names:

Tennessee (as in Tennessee Williams)
Florida
Carolina
Georgia
Virginia

a couple of more:

Braxton (for Gen. Braxton Bragg)
Broughton (I dunno, it's street name in Savannah)
Varina (for Pesident Davis' wife, the first lady of the Confederacy)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2013, 06:26 PM
NCN

21,662 posts, read 25,615,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
Some more GWTW names:

Belle (Belle Watling)
Bonnie Blue (Scarlett's younger daughter - very Confederate: Hooray for The Bonnie Blue Flag!)

Some state names:

Florida
Carolina
Georgia
Virginia

a couple of more:

I liked Paxton too when I looked on the list of Southern names. That would be for a boy, I think.

Old 01-27-2013, 06:30 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,104,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
I liked Paxton too when I looked on the list of Southern names. That would be for a boy, I think.
Yes, the girl would be Paxtonette or Paxtonlene.

Old 01-28-2013, 05:24 AM

6,793 posts, read 5,658,529 times
Quote:
Some more GWTW names:

Belle (Belle Watling)

Some state names:

Florida
Carolina
Georgia
Virginia

a couple of more:

I do have a (female) ancestor that was named Tennessee.

Old 01-28-2013, 10:18 AM

14,725 posts, read 33,355,784 times
Quote:
Florida
There's only ONE:

Good Times Open & Close - YouTube

Esther Rolle played her. She lived from 1920-1998. She was born in Florida, so I wonder if that's how they got her name for the sitcom. She was the 10th of 18 children. Her parents were Bahamian immigrants. She even did a stint at Yale. 18 kids? I'm wondering if they were Catholic ... or just unrestrained.

Old 01-28-2013, 11:27 AM

6,793 posts, read 5,658,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
There's only ONE:

Esther Rolle played her. She lived from 1920-1998. She was born in Florida, so I wonder if that's how they got her name for the sitcom. She was the 10th of 18 children. Her parents were Bahamian immigrants. She even did a stint at Yale. 18 kids? I'm wondering if they were Catholic ... or just unrestrained.
damn, Damn, DAMN!

Old 01-29-2013, 10:58 PM

5,297 posts, read 7,625,545 times
Most of our family names were traditional, biblical names, except when my mother named her eldest son with her maiden name as his middle name. When he became 25, he legally changed it to something else and broke her heart.

We had a "Missouri" in our family which was a common girls name at one point in time.

I do like the name Leander, though I would hesitate to use it in modern society. Loved the idea of growing into the name Beauregard. I have a distant cousin named Beauregard and of course called, Bo.

I have never heard of but one person called by a double name and that was Billy Bob Thornton. Oh wait, I did have a 2nd cousin called, William Lee xxxxx, and he was called that all his life, even by us children, William Lee.

I had an Aunt Cornelia (Cissy) and her sister, Dianey and they had an Aunt Emmer/Emma. Good memories.

I presume you are speaking in the posts above of the song The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down ? Interesting background

The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

My favorite version was the Joan Baez one and next by the Charlie Daniels Band....oh wait, I may be thinking of the song The Devil Went Down to Georgia for Charlie Daniels.

Some of the posts on this thread are pretty insulting and childish. Otherwise, I enjoyed reading this thread.

eta: that indeed Hetty Cary was considered the most beautiful woman in the South, a fact mentioned in Mary Chestnut's diary and I believe Miss Cary was courted, at one time, by General Hood of Texas.

Old 01-30-2013, 04:26 AM

12,953 posts, read 13,663,665 times
It seems typical Southern names come from Scots-Irish and German and typical Northern names come from from English and Irish.
I may be wrong but somewhere I read Southerners believed their German and Scot heritage made them inherently better fighters than Northerners with their mostly English stock.

Old 01-30-2013, 10:39 AM

44,346 posts, read 20,044,222 times
Interesting thread! I'd never heard of anyone named "Missouri" until I read this thread.

I'm from NW Indiana (near Chicago). None of my realtives are or were from the South, but I have a southern friend named Daria. Her elderly parents, both from the South, are named Gilbert and Ruth.

A funny story - A bout 20 years ago I was in a deposition (I'm a paralegal), and the witness named a passenger in his vehicle, named Shirley. The attorney questioning him kept referring to Shirley as "she" or "her." Well, in this case, Shirley was a male, from Alabama. The witness corrected the attorney half a dozen times or so. Shirley is a female name around here, and I was surprised to learn that it is a male name in the South. I think to this day that the attorney does not believe a man could be named Shirley.

Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.

Old 01-30-2013, 11:05 AM

22,632 posts, read 14,933,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PJSinger View Post
Interesting thread! I'd never heard of anyone named "Missouri" until I read this thread.

I'm from NW Indiana (near Chicago). None of my realtives are or were from the South, but I have a southern friend named Daria. Her elderly parents, both from the South, are named Gilbert and Ruth.

A funny story - A bout 20 years ago I was in a deposition (I'm a paralegal), and the witness named a passenger in his vehicle, named Shirley. The attorney questioning him kept referring to Shirley as "she" or "her." Well, in this case, Shirley was a male, from Alabama. The witness corrected the attorney half a dozen times or so. Shirley is a female name around here, and I was surprised to learn that it is a male name in the South. I think to this day that the attorney does not believe a man could be named Shirley.

Shirley was originally a male name, way back in the 18th and 19th centuries. Since the stardom of Shirley Temple, I think nearly all Shirleys are females nowadays.

Same thing about Ashley. Remember Ashley Wilkes from Gone With The Wind? I think nearly all Ashleys are female nowadays. Ashley was played by actor Leslie Howard, and come to think of it Leslie is no longer a name given much to boys, those boys who have that name prefer to be called Les.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History