Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-27-2013, 01:13 PM

5,653 posts, read 5,150,820 times

Advertisements

I saw this article and i'm glad I did. I hope some of you find it as interesting as I did.

BBC News - Warsaw Ghetto: The story of its secret archive
Quote:
Throughout the bitter days of the Warsaw Ghetto, a clandestine group of researchers compiled a vast archive detailing every aspect of life in this prison city built and then obliterated by the Nazis. Led by a historian, Emanuel Ringelblum, the group then buried the archive for for future generations.
This article is part of a programme on The BBC World Service so if it interests you you should be able to hear it. BBC World Service - Voices From The Ghetto

Holocaust Memorial Day (27 January) is a national event in the UK dedicated to the remembrance of Holocaust victims, I know that it is also recognised in many other countries so this seemed to me to be worth posting on today of all days.

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2013, 01:39 PM

45,319 posts, read 60,489,441 times
Thank you.

Now, let's both wait for the Deniers to hop on.

Old 01-27-2013, 02:48 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,029,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Thank you.

Now, let's both wait for the Deniers to hop on.
Do we have to?

Old 01-27-2013, 06:28 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,933,513 times
My father was a soldier in the US Army during WW2. He was in the army signal corps and arrived in Normandy 2 days after D-Day. Serving under Gen. Omar Bradley, he won some sort of minor medal for fighting in the Ardennes Forest, but entered Germany and was with some troops who liberated one of the concentration camps ... which one I do not know.

To my Dad, the Holocaust was very real. If anyone would even hint that it wasn't as horrific as it was he would literally go ballistic.

We remember. We will never forget!

Old 01-28-2013, 12:02 PM

14,780 posts, read 43,665,285 times
Fantastic story, thanks for sharing. There are many books and compilations written from the material that was found and some of it is available online via Google Books if anyone is interested in reading the accounts or seeing the material.

Old 01-29-2013, 09:19 AM

39,843 posts, read 26,477,889 times
I hope the OP doesn't mind me diverting his thread slightly. I read an interesting fictionalized account of the Warsaw Ghetto Uprising recently. It claimed that only a very small handful of residents were actually armed or participated in the uprising, and that they managed to hold out from the Nazis longer than the entire country of Poland did. Can anyone recommend any good books or sources about the uprising? THanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History