Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2008, 01:59 PM

5,296 posts, read 6,469,463 times

Advertisements

Are these the worst times in human history or at least the past hundred years? Do you think things are getting worse or is this another cycle?
I was watching some stuff on the 60s recently and while I wasn't born until 1971,it seems things were pretty chaotic back then for example.
I always like to talk to the oldest people I can find but either they can't remember or they just shut things out,I like to try and recollect from them the same things.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2008, 02:12 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,134,340 times
Well, in the 20th Century, it's pretty easy: World War I, World War II, and their respective aftermaths.

That being said, the entire 20th Century was pretty awful for the Russians.

Personally, I think the world is very quickly becoming a better place, not a worse one.

As far as world history is concerned before the 20th Century, I think the 14th Century was terrible in Europe. The Black Death killed an estimated third of the world population for starters. Imagine that toll today.

And, the Dark Ages were pretty awful too. After all, the Roman Empire delivered a great deal of stability and material comfort to a huge part of the world for a very long time.

Old 08-17-2008, 03:43 PM

26,212 posts, read 19,509,699 times
This is an unprecedented opportunity for America to lead the world and use its unrivaled superpower presence to actually disarm other nations through peaceful brokering of non aggression and arms reduction agreements, has any of that happened?

The exact opposite is true. The United States is atop the list of rogue nations, it starts unprovoked wars, is the worst polluter of the planet, denies global warming is largely man made, and now tortures those caught up in its dragnets all around the world, holding many of these people indefinitely and without charges.

The United States is building hatred and terrorism, and those who are doing it are seeing profits from it. Oil profits, the outsourcing of war, the securing of other nations resources, and the military industrial complex all spell huge windfalls for those who lead this nation today. All while increasing an exorbitant deficit and giving tax breaks to the most wealthy

These dont have to be the worst of times, we largely make them this way through military adventurism, polluting the planet, and inspiring other nations and religions to hate the U.S. by the subjugation of those weaker than us.

Old 08-17-2008, 08:09 PM

402 posts, read 852,774 times
Default heck no

first off, there is no way times are worse than pre-1900. very old fashioned, lawless. even now, the 21st century is still the best. let me mention the 70's. highest crime rate ever, threat of all out nuclear war with cccp, urban decay, watergate, lack of worldwide good living standards, racism, and rampid drug use.

now days, crime is way down, no more cccp, urban renewal, few goverment scandals, rise in world wide living conditions, practically no racism, and declining drug use. much better now, you see.

Old 08-17-2008, 09:18 PM

5,296 posts, read 6,469,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nva79 View Post
now days, crime is way down, no more cccp, urban renewal, few goverment scandals, rise in world wide living conditions, practically no racism, and declining drug use. much better now, you see.
Actually,crime is not necessarily way down but just more spread out...
No more cccp...but Russia seems to be picking up again
Few government scandals? The entire Bush administration has been one scandal after another!
No racism because the lawyers are listening to every word we say...
Declining drug use...see nationwide meth usage

Old 08-17-2008, 09:55 PM

15,446 posts, read 21,341,511 times
Default A quickening?

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuckPA View Post
Are these the worst times in human history or at least the past hundred years? Do you think things are getting worse or is this another cycle?
I can only speak for America but, based on looking back on my sixty-years, I would say times are without a doubt getting much worse. Regarding the 1960s, I would say that these years were a quickening to a nation's natural decay that was already occurring. There may indeed be cycles in a nation's lifespan but logic tells me that each time the "wheel" comes around, the situations are worse.

Old 08-18-2008, 04:05 AM

14,993 posts, read 23,877,846 times
Yeah I would say in the course of Human History the age of the Black Death was about as bad as it got particularly for Europe. Some estimates state it killed up to 60% of Europe's population. The Earth's population actually went down about 25% during this period even when you include births.

In the last 100 years - well how can you exceed the carnage of WW2? WW1 was pretty bad too. For the U.S. it would be the Great Depression.

During my lifespan and limited to the U.S. - Well political strife and division was much worse during the vietnam era, leading up to Watergate. Race problems, political assasinations, war casualties that far exceeded anything in Iraq, always the fear of nuclear anihilation. You can't even compare the political and social climate to today.

The late 70's with Carter is about the worst I've seen the economy. Lines for gas, city governments declaring bancruptcy. It wasn't just depression or recession, they actually created a new word for it - stagnation, a combination of the two. Today is no comparison, hardly a blip in the economic cycle.

People have short memories. And you can see by the response ("oh yeah the entire Bush administration has been a scandal") on what level of responses you will get to this. All I can say is we no longer have nuclear weapons pointing at us, we no longer have to wait in line to buy gas, we no longer have a non-volunteer army fighting a war, we no longer have presidents or presidential candidates assasinated, and I haven't seen unemployment or inflation rates at 10% for many years..

Last edited by Dd714; 08-18-2008 at 04:15 AM..

Old 08-18-2008, 12:10 PM

402 posts, read 852,774 times
Default ?

Quote:
Actually,crime is not necessarily way down but just more spread out...
No more cccp...but Russia seems to be picking up again
Few government scandals? The entire Bush administration has been one scandal after another!
No racism because the lawyers are listening to every word we say...
while bush may not be the greatest leader, what "scandals" are you talking about?
russia my be strict, but quality of life in russia is so much better now. russia has the most billionaires, people with cars has quadripuled, and... while i wont argue it now, russia is much better off.
i dont get what you are saying about lawyers and racism?
look at crime charts from the 70's. crime in ny has dropped drastically. but not just ny, also dc, all big cities really.

Old 08-18-2008, 12:58 PM

78,335 posts, read 60,527,398 times
Quote:
I was watching some stuff on the 60s recently and while I wasn't born until 1971,it seems things were pretty chaotic back then for example.
I always like to talk to the oldest people I can find but either they can't remember or they just shut things out,I like to try and recollect from them the same things.
Wow. Um, we aren't even close to the worst times in this century and certainly not in the history of the world. (laughable even)

Go to your local library and read about Slavery
Pick up The Jungle by Upton Sinclair
Read a book about the Great Depression
Google Battle of the Somme
Black Plague
Go read up on what the Romans did for entertainment...and I'm not talking about that whimpy stylized movie with Russel Crowe in it but rather feeding actual defensless old people to lions for ENTERTAINMENT (and much much worse <gulp>)

Old 08-18-2008, 01:05 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,134,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nva79 View Post
while bush may not be the greatest leader, what "scandals" are you talking about?
russia my be strict, but quality of life in russia is so much better now. russia has the most billionaires, people with cars has quadripuled, and... while i wont argue it now, russia is much better off.
i dont get what you are saying about lawyers and racism?
look at crime charts from the 70's. crime in ny has dropped drastically. but not just ny, also dc, all big cities really.
Russia is a flash in the pan. Almost all its new-found wealth is in petroleum. However, while they're making money now, what do they do when the bubble bursts? What do they do when world demand drops?

Economists have a term for oil-dependent economies. They call it the "Dutch Disease." The currencies become so inflated in value that the rest of their economy tanks. After all, just look at the Arab World, Iran, Indonesia, and Venezuela. You'd think they were swimming in money. But the per capita income of Saudi Arabia is actually quite less than the Israelis, who have no oil at all. Iran has an unemployment rate of 25%. Venezuela is circling the bowl under one of the most idiotic regimes ever in a region that has been plagued with idiotic regimes. And the list goes on and on. Plus if you look at the long-term demographics of Russia, you realize that this is as good as that country is every going to get.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History