Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2013, 05:28 PM

21,096 posts, read 19,703,590 times

Advertisements

It wouldn't have been less shocking had the number been 4000, 400, 40 or 4. Six million Jews (and six million others) were killed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2013, 06:53 PM

73,007 posts, read 62,585,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
It wouldn't have been less shocking had the number been 4000, 400, 40 or 4. Six million Jews (and six million others) were killed.
It doesn't shock me that this kind of stuff goes on. It just saddens me and it scares me. When I was younger and was reading about Anne Frank, and eventually the Holocaust, I had nightmares about it.

There would be no discoveries that would be shocking to me anymore because we have photos of the carnage. I think what shocks me about this is that we are just finding this out, about this particular camp. I learned about Auschwitz, Treblinka, Chelmno, Bergen-Belsen, Sobibor, and some other camps. I didn't even know Brody existed until just now.

Old 03-02-2013, 07:47 PM

3,807 posts, read 4,274,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulysses61 View Post
Read about Stalin's Gulags. Nobody gives a damn about the 25+ million who died in the Russian slave labor camps. And to even mention this somehow makes others accuse one of being anti-Semitic.
I completely disagree with you. The "gulags" is one of the most misunderstood mass killings in world history. As is the killings in Cambodia, Rwanda, the Armenian Genocide, et al. I could write pages on all of these issues. ALL deserve our sympathy and our support.

At the sametime, that DOES NOT reduce the effects of the Holocaust. Hitler and other Nazi's, set out with a systematic, organized, killing of Jews. By way of camps, specifically designed to kill persons. To my knowledge, this was first time in history, where a certain group of persons were rounded up, sent to ghetto's, then sent to death camps, where their sole function was to kill. Treblinka, Sobibor, Majadenk, Belzec, Chelmo, Birkenau, were camps which designed for NOTHING except to kill Jews (and others).

The gulags were not designed to "kill." They were designed to re-educate, etc. Although, their killing potential is far under rated and was used at its maximum.

The holocaust does, like it or not, have its own "special" place in the world. Mod cut: Off topic.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 03-07-2013 at 10:07 AM..

Old 03-02-2013, 08:16 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,040,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil306 View Post
At the sametime, that DOES NOT reduce the effects of the Holocaust. Hitler and other Nazi's, set out with a systematic, organized, killing of Jews. By way of camps, specifically designed to kill persons. To my knowledge, this was first time in history, where a certain group of persons were rounded up, sent to ghetto's, then sent to death camps, where their sole function was to kill. Treblinka, Sobibor, Majadenk, Belzec, Chelmo, Birkenau, were camps which designed for NOTHING except to kill Jews (and others).
I think that this is the reason that the Holocaust rises above all others.

Industrialized murder...

By comparison the only thing that distinguish all other modern acts of genocide from those in history is the sheer numbers. Stalin certainly out stripped, just to pull one name out of history, Mary I in quantity but she certainly far surpassed him in sheer quality. The Nazis on the other hand have no equals when both quantity and quality are factored together. The immense complexity of the task and, the cold objectivity of its perpetrators, and the sophistication of their plans, and the scales of efficiency devised to accomplish their objective it is simply unprecedented.

Old 03-02-2013, 09:04 PM

1,105 posts, read 2,304,292 times
Its strange that the holocaust is the most investigated event in history but they didn't come up with those numbers sooner implying that they were well hid or something on that order. Then at the end of the article it states that you coudln't go anywhere without running into them. Sounds like more anti German talk.

Old 03-03-2013, 07:20 AM

2,801 posts, read 3,858,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
Never happened. Entirely a myth.
Many historians believe that the Jews, like many early civilizations, practiced human sacrifice early in their history. But that has absolutely nothing to do with the Holocaust, and the person that first brought it up is being foolish, and is up to no good. I'm not sure what point they're trying to make (most all of our ancestors practiced human sacrifice at some point in history) other than making mischief.

It seems absurd that anyone could deny that the Holocaust took place with all the evidence available to us. Some grand conspiracy to make people think it occurred when it actually didn't is harder to believe than the horrible facts of this, the most appalling mass murder in modern times, if not all of human history.

While certain details about the Holocaust are debatable, the fact that the Nazis conducted a systematic campaign of mass murder against millions of Jews, Romani, political dissidents, Eastern Europeans, homosexuals, and the disabled cannot be contested by anyone who has studied the evidence.

Old 03-03-2013, 07:37 AM

9,981 posts, read 8,589,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TOkidd View Post
Many historians believe that the Jews, like many early civilizations, practiced human sacrifice early in their history. But that has absolutely nothing to do with the Holocaust, and the person that first brought it up is being foolish, and is up to no good. I'm not sure what point they're trying to make (most all of our ancestors practiced human sacrifice at some point in history) other than making mischief.
That is B.S. Most people did NOT practice human sacrifice, especially human
sacrifice of their own kind. The word "holocaust" IS this burnt offering, it is
not "the event" in the 20th century. You can call "the event" whatever you
want, but you can't change the meaning of the word. "Jews" themselves
call it the Shoah. The number 6 million is a total fabrication, it has Kaballistic
significance. They were saying 6 million "Jews" were dying in Tsarist Russia
decades before "the event" happened.

Old 03-03-2013, 08:25 AM

24,100 posts, read 32,460,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandpa Pipes View Post
Thank you for sharing this. I had never had personally had any discourse with Holocaust deniers. before city data. I have, however; met many survivors in my lifetime. As their numbers diminish, I've become concerned that these wretched individuals would increase in numbers.

I am heartened that Holocaust Studies has because a legitimate academic field of study at American universities. Clark University offers a PhD in this subject.

The horror of the Holocaust never seems to end.

Old 03-03-2013, 08:29 AM

31,387 posts, read 37,040,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowball7 View Post
That is B.S. Most people did NOT practice human sacrifice, especially human
sacrifice of their own kind.
Aside from the fact that both archeology and ancient histories confirm that human sacrifice existed pretty much everywhere, I would submit that even in the U.S. human sacrifice existed in colonial America, because what else is the burning of witch other than some crazed sacrifice of the human body to expel "evil spirits."

Old 03-03-2013, 08:34 AM

24,100 posts, read 32,460,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil306 View Post
I completely disagree with you. The "gulags" is one of the most misunderstood mass killings in world history. As is the killings in Cambodia, Rwanda, the Armenian Genocide, et al. I could write pages on all of these issues. ALL deserve our sympathy and our support.

The gulags were not designed to "kill." They were designed to re-educate, etc. Although, their killing potential is far under rated and was used at its maximum.

The holocaust does, like it or not, have its own "special" place in the world. I'll be the first to lambast the United States, for not stopping the killing in Rwanda. 800 thousand killed in about 4 months is disgusting; and, if the dead weren't black, the US would have intervened. It just goes to show how racist the people of the US are. PERIOD.

Yes it does have a "special" and horrific place. One can not make it less horrific, by bringing up other instances of genocide. It simply does not work that way.

I am an American partially of German decent. I am a Lutheran Christian. So save the "accusations" that I am Jewish. I'd be proud to find out that I had a Jewish ancestor, but to my knowledge, I do not.
I am sick of this whole Holocaust denier BS. You are all insane and hateful.

Kind of like the Nazis, come to think of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History