Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2013, 02:52 PM

16,215 posts, read 11,335,819 times

Advertisements

If there's anything to be learned from some of the more "off-the-wall" posts in this thread, it's that religious stridency and political demagoguery can make for a deadly combination, particularly if the possibility of access to a lot of power is on the table.

And the Europe of the Twenties and Thirties, with its class-consciousness and its devastated, corrupted enonomies, was a fertile breeding ground -- lots of disaffected people with devastated future plans, prone to look for someone or something to blame.

And a limited, or twisted view of history -- a few too many conspiracy theories, doesn't help.

Sounds familiar???

And yet there are a lot of people at this site who think that what we used to call the Old World has a better way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2013, 07:53 PM

1,539 posts, read 1,559,642 times
On Netflix there's a controversial miniseries exploring the German occupation of Rome during World War II, and the Vatican's reaction to the Nazis' treatment of Jews. James Cromwell stars as Pope Pius XII, as he struggles to save Vatican City from destruction.
I wonder how accurate this account is......

Old 04-18-2013, 07:59 PM

16,215 posts, read 11,335,819 times
Apparently, some new interest has been developing:

Francis 'will open files on Hitler's Pope', says friend - Telegraph

Old 04-19-2013, 07:13 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,691,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd trick op View Post
Apparently, some new interest has been developing:

Francis 'will open files on Hitler's Pope', says friend - Telegraph
I'm liking the apparent true leadership and piety of Pope Francis more and more.

Old 04-27-2013, 10:48 PM

1,539 posts, read 1,559,642 times
humble and truth revealing.......about time......

Old 05-01-2013, 10:51 AM

13,561 posts, read 10,356,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
The Ustase that were highlighted as the topic of the OP was an organization of Croatian Nationalists/Fascists. After Germany and Italy took over the territory of Yugoslavia the Ustase formed a fascist government that exercised nominal control over Croatia though was technically a dual protectorate of Italy and Germany (so never actually it's own independent state). The Ustase set about racially cleansing Croatian territory of Serbians (their main target) and Jews often in extremely barbarous ways. The Ustase were pretty much a wildcard that while nominally controlled by Germany and Italy neither did much to curb their behavior. Ustase activity was one of the galvanizing points for the Yugolsav Partisan groups that forced Germany and Italy to commit forces to the area. The Ustase were also fanatically Catholic and after the war members were spirited to Canada, Australia, Gnks ermany and South America via underground organizations operating under the protection of the Catholic Church. The 13th Waffen-SS Mountain Division Handschar was formed to help counter the partisans and was made up largely of anti-Serbian Muslim's from Bosnia and Croatian Ustase.
Anton Pavelic, the Ustase/Ustashi leader, was notoriously bloodthirsty, and sadly, he avoided capture and trial as a war criminal by escaping to South America disguised as a priest. He did survive an assassination attempt in Buenos Aires in the late 1950s, though.

Old 05-01-2013, 11:09 AM

31,387 posts, read 37,048,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaseMan View Post
Hitler himself was nominally Catholic as well.
As were Rudolf Hoess (commandant of Auschwitz), Franz Von Papen, Joseph Goebbels(excommunicated for marrying a Protestant) Heinrich Himmler was raised as a Catholic but during the Nazi era promoted the formation of a pagan nationalist religion.

Old 05-02-2013, 02:00 PM

3,913 posts, read 5,230,152 times
I think if you weigh all the good that the Catholic church has done through the centuries you will see it outweighs any bad to include today's scandals. Remember Mother Theresea? Pope Paul II, and on and on and on...and now, the latest POPE who if true to his word, will be equally as popular among ALL people.

I believe there was blood on more hands than just the Catholic church during WWII, don't you? And I do mean other religions as well. To stand up to the Nazi war machine would have taken courage far too strong for most of us. I'm afraid I have to admit I would have been as weak as anyone if that had been my lot in life.

I believe the Catholic church did whatever it had to in order to survive. It's not like they were preaching from thousands of miles away. They were in the lion's den.

Monday morning quarterbacking it now seems fruitless. I believe the Catholic church has gone far to correct it's mistakes and continues to do so today. There are few that have as charitable of a record and purposely go to very, very downtrodden and deadly places to help fellow man.

I think they are very clear in that regard,

Old 05-02-2013, 02:58 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,048,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caleb Longstreet View Post
I think if you weigh all the good that the Catholic church has done through the centuries you will see it outweighs any bad to include today's scandals. Remember Mother Theresea? Pope Paul II, and on and on and on...and now, the latest POPE who if true to his word, will be equally as popular among ALL people.
We must have different scales.

The Inquisition.
The Crusades.
Torture and murder of the Knights Templar
The Trial of Galileo
The witch hunts 1480 - 1750
The Reconquest of Spain
Pope Lucius III
Pope Benedict IX,
Pope Alexander VI,
Mary I

skipping the to the 20th Century, child buggery, Irish orphans etc I give you

Rev. Athanase Seromba. Seromba was one of the leading Catholics fomenting the Rwandan massacres.

PS this was a very, very short list.

BY the way, Francis is the best thing to happen to the Church in centuries.

Old 05-02-2013, 03:48 PM

9,981 posts, read 8,591,694 times
DEFENSE OF THE INQUISITION
By Jean-Claude Dupuis
Defense of the Inquisition
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History