Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2013, 07:05 AM

25,552 posts, read 17,256,908 times

Advertisements

In 1857 a clear message should have been sent to all states telling them that they do not have the right to secede. A promise of military action and federal prosecution should have been sent along with it. South Carolina had been allowed to view herself as separate from the union for many years and I would have put a stop to that - maybe by blockading her from trade and maybe by shooting the leaders. I don't know.

Buchanan had the belief that states did not have the right to secede. but did not believe the federal government had any right to prevent it.

Buchanan simply was not up to the task of being President. Just because someone always wanted to be President obviously doesn't mean they are up to it. He lacked the wherewithal to get "mad dog mean" and force his will when necessary.

Ronald Reagan wouldn't have put up with it. For that matter, neither would Harry Truman.

Old 04-16-2013, 07:14 AM

48,564 posts, read 24,106,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
In 1857 a clear message should have been sent to all states telling them that they do not have the right to secede. .
So, a message from the people who do not recognize a right of secession, to the people who insist that there is such a right.

How does that change anything? "We were going to assert our independence but it turns out that the Yankees say we have no such right. Well, guess that settles that question."

Maybe if in 1774 the Brits has sent Massachusetts a clear message that they had nor right to resist crown authority.....

Old 04-16-2013, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
So, a message from the people who do not recognize a right of secession, to the people who insist that there is such a right.

How does that change anything? "We were going to assert our independence but it turns out that the Yankees say we have no such right. Well, guess that settles that question."

Maybe if in 1774 the Brits has sent Massachusetts a clear message that they had nor right to resist crown authority.....
Read my post. The message would have been sent and enforced. South Carolina's problem of viewing themselves as a little better than most states goes back to the nullification question.

The question is "what would I do"? I answered it. You assume my threats are empty. What are you, an Air Traffic Controller? They learned the hard way, too.

Old 04-16-2013, 07:39 AM

48,564 posts, read 24,106,504 times
Quote:
Read my post. The message would have been sent and enforced. South Carolina's problem of viewing themselves as a little better than most states goes back to the nullification question.

The question is "what would I do"? I answered it. You assume my threats are empty. What are you, an Air Traffic Controller? They learned the hard way, too.
Okay, you enforce your message....and immediately ten other states secede in support. You have brought on the Civil War three years early.

You have changed dates but not done anything to alter the basic problem.

You aren't going to solve this with simplistic bluster.

Old 04-16-2013, 07:51 AM

472 posts, read 924,944 times
Quote:

How exactly would you do it?

The US Army in 1857 was about 16,000 men. You could, I suppose, call out militia from northern sttaes, but then militia of southern ones would mobilise against you. That's just 1861 come alittle early - no real change.

Old 04-16-2013, 09:02 AM

9,981 posts, read 8,586,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikestone8 View Post
I'm not sure how such "aggressive politicking" would be feasible, given that five out of the first seven Presidents were themselves slaveholdres, as was a majority of the SCOTUS.t
I mentioned that phrase in reference to Lincoln and after, not before.

Old 04-16-2013, 09:24 AM

Quote:
How exactly would you do it?

The US Army in 1857 was about 16,000 men. You could, I suppose, call out militia from northern sttaes, but then militia of southern ones would mobilise against you. That's just 1861 come alittle early - no real change.
Meh.....I tell you exactly how I would do it; you then counter and tell me exactly what would happen.. Then I tell you what I would do in response; you tell me why that wouldn't have worked..

Pointless.

Old 04-16-2013, 10:01 AM

12,953 posts, read 13,665,225 times
I am almost finished with the book," Race and Politics Bleeding Kansas and the coming of the Civil War by James Rawley. What I take away from it is most politician's hands were tied. It seems there was a universal belief no matter what side of the issues you were on that "Africans," as blacks were referred to, and whites were not equal or suited to live together. The idea of a free state meant free labor from exclusively the white laboring class.

I think the Civil War was unavoidable. Irish immigration brought in free laborers almost equal to the numbers of slaves and the North was beginning to profit from it. James Rawley seems to say there were 4 million Africans in the country and the laboring white classes didn't want them in the North or West and the South only wanted them as long as they stayed slaves.

Lincoln was able to step along a narrow line to keep the Union together and defeat the aims of the white laboring classes in the North and West and at the same time the Southern slave owners.
There were too many laws constantly being passed that would have manage the half Slave and half free labor economy but I supposed Lincoln decided to go to war and let the chips fall where they may, I belive he always knew what the out come would be.

Old 04-17-2013, 01:27 AM

472 posts, read 924,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thriftylefty View Post
I supposed Lincoln decided to go to war and let the chips fall where they may, I belive he always knew what the out come would be.
He didn't need to decide to go to war. Those idiots in Charleston and Montgomery did that for him.

Old 04-17-2013, 06:56 AM

9,981 posts, read 8,586,452 times
Quote:
He didn't need to decide to go to war. Those idiots in Charleston and Montgomery did that for him.
That's not true. Lincoln chose to wage war against the Confederacy, not visa versa.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History