Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2013, 08:17 PM

1,492 posts, read 1,617,096 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ciceropolo View Post
The Fifteen Decisive Battles of the World - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Edward Creasy did a nice summary of the historical dominos. See the added ones too. If I recall, the History channel about 5-6 years ago did a whole series that covered most all of these.

The interesting one to me is AD9 Teutoburg Forest. Arminius Cheruscar (Herman The Great) the defeat of two Roman Legions and the subsequent stopping of further Roman Expansion.

To Cleonidas point, imagine a world where English wasn't the dominant language and the majority spoke Latin?!

Too many to pick just one, however, the list compiled gets to most vital 'dominos'. One other I had not seen in this thread is 1389 Battle of Kosovo Plain. Culturally significant.
I am puzzled by the inclusion of the Battle of Kosovo Plain. How was it as significant as some of the other battles listed in this thread like Teutoburg Forest or Hastings?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2013, 09:54 PM

4,197 posts, read 4,449,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyTarge13 View Post
I am puzzled by the inclusion of the Battle of Kosovo Plain. How was it as significant as some of the other battles listed in this thread like Teutoburg Forest or Hastings?
My apologies, it wasn't as significant as the other battles mentioned in context of the question posed. My mind must have been drifting in midst of early morning reading / posting and my recall was not accurate as to the context of that battle. I think I was confusing it with another.

Old 08-03-2013, 09:32 AM

4,449 posts, read 4,614,742 times
Re: Hastings...

I've always thought that was an intriguing battle. A followup on it surprised me in that the battle is also called 'Senlac' for the town where William got to after he landed on the coast. In any case, I'm just wondering if Harold's strategy of defense was right considering William was the invader. I guess I'm bringing in D-DAY where the Allies had to make sure they could hold the beaches. Perhaps Harold should have struck faster and deadlier to drive Willaim off before he had time to consolidate and move his army? Those days Harold spent in London could have been used maybe more productively.

Old 08-03-2013, 04:51 PM

4,668 posts, read 4,032,896 times
Though little known and rarely discussed, I believe the so called “Battle of Khalkin Gol” had a significant impact on the course of Western history. Named for a river that ran through a disputed border area that separated Japanese controlled Manchuria from the Soviet supported “Mongolian People’s Republic”, this was in actuality a series of engagements which took place beginning on May 12, 1939 and ending on the 31st of August. Red Army units led by General Georgi Zhukov and which eventually totaled some 58,000 men supported by nearly 500 tanks and 250 aircraft, clashed with and finally delivered a humiliating defeat to elements of the Japanese “Kwantung Army”. Poor tactics, obsolete tanks, no effective anti-tank weaponry, and refusal to surrender led to the deaths of 61,000 Japanese soldiers, while the Soviets lost just under 8,000 men.

The impact of this loss was far reaching. The “Strike North” faction within the Japanese army which was agitating for war against the Soviet Union, found themselves unable to rally others to their cause. This emboldened the “Strike South” faction within the navy to renew their efforts to go to war and seize British, French, and Dutch colonial possessions in the Pacific, as well as take on the United States. Additionally, it led to the signing of a non-aggression pact with the Soviet Union in April 1941, just two months before the Germans launched “Operation Barbarossa”. This essentially guaranteed that Germany would receive no assistance from the Japanese in their fight against the Soviets. The existence of the pact also permitted the Russians to transfer troops from the Far East to not only bolster the defenses of Moscow, but to also launch a successful counteroffensive against the Germans, handing them their first significant defeat of the war.

One can only imagine how different World War II might have played out had it been the Japanese who were victorious in this obscure border war.

Old 08-03-2013, 05:59 PM

14,016 posts, read 20,898,193 times
Default This battle is frequently known by another name.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyT View Post
Though little known and rarely discussed, I believe the so called “Battle of Khalkin Gol” had a significant impact on the course of Western history. Named for a river that ran through a disputed border area that separated Japanese controlled Manchuria from the Soviet supported “Mongolian People’s Republic”, this was in actuality a series of engagements which took place beginning on May 12, 1939 and ending on the 31st of August. Red Army units led by General Georgi Zhukov and which eventually totaled some 58,000 men supported by nearly 500 tanks and 250 aircraft, clashed with and finally delivered a humiliating defeat to elements of the Japanese “Kwantung Army”. Poor tactics, obsolete tanks, no effective anti-tank weaponry, and refusal to surrender led to the deaths of 61,000 Japanese soldiers, while the Soviets lost just under 8,000 men.

The impact of this loss was far reaching. The “Strike North” faction within the Japanese army which was agitating for war against the Soviet Union, found themselves unable to rally others to their cause. This emboldened the “Strike South” faction within the navy to renew their efforts to go to war and seize British, French, and Dutch colonial possessions in the Pacific, as well as take on the United States. Additionally, it led to the signing of a non-aggression pact with the Soviet Union in April 1941, just two months before the Germans launched “Operation Barbarossa”. This essentially guaranteed that Germany would receive no assistance from the Japanese in their fight against the Soviets. The existence of the pact also permitted the Russians to transfer troops from the Far East to not only bolster the defenses of Moscow, but to also launch a successful counteroffensive against the Germans, handing them their first significant defeat of the war.

One can only imagine how different World War II might have played out had it been the Japanese who were victorious in this obscure border war.
The Battle of Khalkin Gol, as it is known to the Russians ("Gol" being the Mongolian word for river for those who have forgotten their high school Mongolian) is known to the Japanese as "Nomonhan", the name of a village on the Manchurian side of the disputed territory. I am not just trying to be pedantic here because, for some reason, the Nomonhan name seems to be more frequently used in English.

There is a fairly recent (2012) book by Stuart D. Goldman entitled Nomonhan, 1939: The Red Army's Victory That Shaped World War II. It is well-written, very thorough, and very interesting.

Old 08-04-2013, 10:04 AM

9,981 posts, read 8,586,452 times
Waterloo. Hands down.

Old 08-05-2013, 12:08 PM

60 posts, read 74,322 times
The Battle of the Atlantic 1939 44 this in my opinion was far more important than the battle of britain,the B.O.B changed nothing and in my opinion it certainly did not "save the free world",the battle of the atlantic however in my opinion decided were communisam started and ended it was one of the most complicated and longest battle's ever fought unfortunatly it was out of sight therefore out of mind

Old 08-05-2013, 03:33 PM

14,780 posts, read 43,668,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowball7 View Post
Waterloo. Hands down.
You need to expand on that one, because I would think Leipzig aka The Battle of Nations which has already been mentioned was the decisive battle of the Napoleonic Wars. Even had Napoleon won at Waterloo he had no chance of winning a war against another coalition.

Old 08-05-2013, 03:34 PM

14,780 posts, read 43,668,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spider32 View Post
The Battle of the Atlantic 1939 44 this in my opinion was far more important than the battle of britain,the B.O.B changed nothing and in my opinion it certainly did not "save the free world",the battle of the atlantic however in my opinion decided were communisam started and ended it was one of the most complicated and longest battle's ever fought unfortunatly it was out of sight therefore out of mind
I'm not really sure what you are getting at here.

Old 08-06-2013, 03:40 AM

60 posts, read 74,322 times
I 'am suggesting that if the British and Americans did not succed in D Day then it is quite concievable that the Russian's would have entered France ,the will in France was certainly there for communism,take a look at how the Soviets manipulated countrys such as Romania or Bulgaria,it isn't inconcievable
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History