Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2013, 07:41 PM

26,787 posts, read 22,549,184 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by travric View Post
I agree and I'd like to add something.

Each country takes for itself say a psychological profile in dealing with the world and its own society especially when meeting 'threat'. Of course it's obvious that there are no die-hard Stalinists left however I'd think his 'legacy' lives on in the form of memory withinn the Russian populace. We sure know the tremendous price the Russian people paid during the war and that memory has been handed down like many others of that patriotic time time through the generations. And from that it suggests that that memory bundled up with experience points towards how Russia 'handles' its polices and politics today.
There was more to Stalin ( and his legacy) than just "winning the war."
It was Churchill who said that "Stalin came to Russia with a wooden plough and left it in possession of atomic weapons."
It's hard to argue with a fact that Stalin was at the helm when the predominantly agrarian country lugging behind European powers was turned into mighty industrial state, which in turn was a decisive factor in WWII victory.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2013, 01:57 PM

7,840 posts, read 9,200,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by travric View Post
I agree and I'd like to add something.

Each country takes for itself say a psychological profile in dealing with the world and its own society especially when meeting 'threat'. Of course it's obvious that there are no die-hard Stalinists left however I'd think his 'legacy' lives on in the form of memory withinn the Russian populace. We sure know the tremendous price the Russian people paid during the war and that memory has been handed down like many others of that patriotic time time through the generations. And from that it suggests that that memory bundled up with experience points towards how Russia 'handles' its polices and politics today.
Russia was always an authoritarian, very patriarchal, society in which all power flowed from the Czar (or Czarina). It never developed the kind of constitutional monarchies found in places like Britain or Denmark. It never developed a republican form of government or even a quasi-representative government, both of which take more than a few months or even a few years to take firm hold. Lenin and Stalin and Khruschev and the rest just followed the same line of autocratic rule that the Czars had instituted centuries earlier. In fact, many of the Soviets' control practices, like the secret police and the gulags in Siberia, had been employed by the Czars. The Bolsheviks just took them over.

Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
There was more to Stalin ( and his legacy) than just "winning the war."
It was Churchill who said that "Stalin came to Russia with a wooden plough and left it in possession of atomic weapons."
It's hard to argue with a fact that Stalin was at the helm when the predominantly agrarian country lugging behind European powers was turned into mighty industrial state, which in turn was a decisive factor in WWII victory.
I think it's fair to say that your average Russian citizen today is as proud of his/her country as any average American citizen. What the Soviets accomplished is amazing. That Russia has managed to ease into more or less representative government over the last 15 years or so without backsliding into outright dictatorship is even more amazing to me. Building representative, democratic institutions from almost nothing and creating a government that is decently effective is NOT an easy thing to do. We Americans had a lot more practice at it by the late 1700s than the Russians have today, and we still had a somewhat bumpy road.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History