Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-23-2013, 10:26 AM

836 posts, read 1,255,877 times

Advertisements

Is it my understanding that among the major ethnic groups of coolies in the late 19th century (and into the 20th), the Indians worked mainly in sugar plantations in various tropical parts of the British Empire (excluding Queensland, where Pacific Islanders were employed instead) while the Chinese worked mainly in mines and railroads both inside and outside the British Empire (as long as there wasn't enough cheap European or black labour)?

(What I mean in terms of the Chinese coolies is that they migrated to Australia, the N. American west coast, the Caribbean, Peru, etc. but not as much to the east coasts of North and South America - e.g. the eastern States, Quebec/Ontario, Brazil, or Argentina - because there was plenty of labour from Ireland, Italy, etc. as well as black slaves and their descendants in those parts.)

One additional question: Did sugar plantations and mines and railways require more cheap mass labour than vineyards?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2013, 11:36 AM

7,840 posts, read 9,199,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yofie View Post
Is it my understanding that among the major ethnic groups of coolies in the late 19th century (and into the 20th), the Indians worked mainly in sugar plantations in various tropical parts of the British Empire (excluding Queensland, where Pacific Islanders were employed instead) while the Chinese worked mainly in mines and railroads both inside and outside the British Empire (as long as there wasn't enough cheap European or black labour)?

(What I mean in terms of the Chinese coolies is that they migrated to Australia, the N. American west coast, the Caribbean, Peru, etc. but not as much to the east coasts of North and South America - e.g. the eastern States, Quebec/Ontario, Brazil, or Argentina - because there was plenty of labour from Ireland, Italy, etc. as well as black slaves and their descendants in those parts.)

One additional question: Did sugar plantations and mines and railways require more cheap mass labour than vineyards?
All I can answer is that vineyards are not very labor intensive compared to sugar, cotton or tobacco culture. I think this is mostly because once planted, grape vines can live for years, and there's less "stoop labor" involved in harvesting. Grape growers might replace individual dead or diseased vines, but they wouldn't be putting in new vineyards every year.

For a new vineyard, the ground is prepped as with other crops and the grape vines planted several feet apart in rows. Later, railroad tie-like posts are set at the ends of rows and thinner posts are set in every so many feet in the row to support the two wires that are stretched from one end of the row to the other, and fastened to the posts in between so that the vines can be supported.

For an existing vineyard, the grape vines need to be trimmed and tied to the wires in late winter/early spring. They need to be fertilized regularly but generally don't need irrigation since they have deep roots. Tall weeds around the plants have to be removed. Grass between the rows may or may not be removed. In WNY where my grandparents and parents grew grapes, the grass was generally just mowed or worked with a disc-harrow. The harvesting of grapes by hand is less arduous than many other fruit and vegetable crops like strawberries or beans or even tree fruits because you don't have to climb ladders.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History