Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2013, 02:06 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,106,504 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
Not a single officer on duty in 1941 had commanded even something as large as a division in WW1. .
Good post but the above is not quite accurate. On November 10th, 1918, one day before the Armistice took effect, General Douglas MacArthur was promoted to command of the 42nd Army Division (Rainbow Division).

Twelve days later, as part of the dismantling of the force built for the European operations, MacArthur was demoted to Brigadier General and the command taken away from him.

Strictly a technical point, it obviously does not dislodge the idea that the American army in 1941 was absent experienced division combat commanders.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2013, 02:12 PM

5,899 posts, read 5,791,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
He should have stuck around. He'd see that it is obesity, unaffordable health care, recreational drugs and consumer debt bankruptcy.
Not to mention a rapidly growing non-Aryan population.

Old 11-05-2013, 02:35 PM

14,780 posts, read 43,668,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
Good post but the above is not quite accurate. On November 10th, 1918, one day before the Armistice took effect, General Douglas MacArthur was promoted to command of the 42nd Army Division (Rainbow Division).

Twelve days later, as part of the dismantling of the force built for the European operations, MacArthur was demoted to Brigadier General and the command taken away from him.

Strictly a technical point, it obviously does not dislodge the idea that the American army in 1941 was absent experienced division combat commanders.
That's a pretty technical technicality...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Futurist110 View Post
Not to mention a rapidly growing non-Aryan population.
Que?

Old 11-05-2013, 04:16 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,032,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Novadhd5150 View Post
I have always thought he concerned Americans lazy and undisciplined.
That doesn't appear to be the reality of Hitler's opinion. From what I am gathering, Hitler and his henchmen were not under any illusion about the industrial prowess of the United States after all they knew how that industrial power aided in the defeat of Germany in WWI. They also knew first that the U.S. could establish a credible fighting force based upon those same experiences so it would seem to me that those experiences would delude Hitler or others about the potential of a conflict with the U.S. And while Hitler was not as well exposed to foreign countries a number of his top advisors like General Friedrich von Botticher and Ribbentrop knew first hand of Americas potential military might. What Hitler depended on was the political isolationism of the U.S. in the post war period. According to this post war interview with Herman Goering, while the Germans did not fully understand American capabilities, they also knew that it was imperative to avoid a conflict with the U.S.

Lost Prison Interview with Hermann Goring: The Reichsmarschall's Revelations

Old 11-05-2013, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Que?
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...55980276,d.cGE

Old 11-05-2013, 06:16 PM

3,910 posts, read 9,466,972 times
People have a hindsight view of history. The U.S. military was small and weak in 1939-1940. The Germans did not consider us a major threat at the time. The U.S. military eventually grew into a powerhouse during the course of the war. I do not believe that the Germans gave much consideration pre-war to the U.S. potential capacity. The German strategy relied on quick, lightning fast victories to conquer Europe. The Germans expected a similar result against the Soviet Union. Hitler thought the troops would be home by Christmas. Had Hitler's dream scenario played out as planned, a U.S. lead D-Day invasion may never have materialized.

The Soviets bought time for the U.S. to build up our military by bogging down 75% of the German forces on the Eastern Front throughout the war. Had the Soviet Union collapsed in defeat, the Germans could have devoted virtually all of their forces to the defense of Continental Europe from a U.S.-Allied invasion. D-Day may have never been possible in that case, or would have ended in catastrophic defeat. Imagine how long it took us to organize D-Day. I mean we weren't able to launch it until 1944 when Germany had mostly been defeated on the Eastern Front and was in rapid retreat from the Russians. As great a feat as D-Day was, imagine if we had faced 5 million German troops instead of < 1 million.

Old 11-05-2013, 06:36 PM

10,581 posts, read 9,779,270 times
When the Japanese attacked Pearl Harbor and drew the US into the war, Hitler gave a speech that was the first of his genuine screaming fits.

Many say it was because, at that point, he knew he was going to lose.

Old 11-05-2013, 07:40 PM

14,780 posts, read 43,668,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Futurist110 View Post
I'm well aware of the shifting demographics of the United States. I'm just wondering how exactly your fitting a "growing non-Aryan population" into the list of America's "ills". On second thought...just keep it to yourself.

Old 11-05-2013, 07:57 PM

Quote:
I'm well aware of the shifting demographics of the United States. I'm just wondering how exactly your fitting a "growing non-Aryan population" into the list of America's "ills". On second thought...just keep it to yourself.
I was talking about America's ills from Hitler's perspective here, not from my perspective. I doubt that Hitler would be fond of a large, massively powerful non-Aryan majority country.

Heck, considering that I had many of my relatives killed in the Holocaust and considering that I strongly detest psuedo-science, I am not a racist at all by any means.

Old 11-06-2013, 12:17 AM

People really should avoid making hasty conclusions in regards to what others say, since they could be misinterpreting others' statements (such as right above here).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History